Question Geezer (80) needs PC help

Mar 31, 2023
Sorry if this is in the wrong place but this website is only letting me see laptop forums! We’re having a bit of an emergency here. We finally got our first cell phones (iPhones) and got rid of our landline. With it went our internet. (OOPS!) My wife can connect her laptop to her phone hotspot but I can’t connect my old PC (which I built 8 years ago) to my phone because it doesn’t have Bluetooth.

I’ve looked all over (Staples, Walmart, local computer store) for a Bluetooth dongle to no avail, so I’ll order one online. BUT, will it work to get me on the internet? I can’t even get into my PC because when it asks for my password, it won’t accept it because I’m not connected to the internet! Catch 22.

So if I get a Bluetooth dongle, won’t I need to be on my computer to set it up? I need that computer to do our taxes. The cable company says it will be a month until we have service. HALP!

COLGeek

Cybernaut
You don't need Bluetooth to make this work. You can use a WiFi adapter (your wife can do the same from her laptop), or even a USB cable in some cases (if only a single device is using the phone hotspot via wired tethering).

Are you trying to connect your PC to the same phone your wife is using?

Something like these devices:

(Better option for PCs): https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Bluetooth-Wireless-Browsing-Streaming/dp/B084JPFKQ5/

Mar 31, 2023
Thanks for that! I have a router, to which my computer is attached. But how to get the signal from my phone to the router? Does that gadget at Amazon pick up the iPhone signal? Wouldn’t I need to “install” the gadget on my computer, or does it get recognized automatically? Would a Bluetooth dongle Be recognized? The whole problem is that I can’t ”tell” the computer anything until I’ve logged in.

Another possible problem: To avoid problems like this (!) I had just gone in and (I thought) removed my password because I don’t really need one, living in the woods of rural Maine…. Bad day today.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
You wouldn't necessarily need the router. Yes, you would pick up the signal from the phone.

When you enable the hotspot on the phone, it sets up a wireless network that would allow you (with the proper adapter) and your wife's laptop to connect to the phone's network and the phone connects to your cell provider (i.e. ATT, Verizon, etc). The phone acts as your router.

What is the make/model of your router? It may be able to act as a wireless device to connect to the phone.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
You can also connect your PC directly to the phone itself with a USB cable and enable wired tethering on the phone. This could be used as a temporary measure to do your taxes.

When used like this, your wife would not be able to use her laptop to connect it via the phone to the internet.

Mar 31, 2023
I have an “office” - holdover from my working days , now stuffed with my stuff. In there are my computers and all manner of peripherals, etc. My wife has her new laptop on the “dining” table at the other end of our 4-room house. With it she connects to the internet via her iPhone. I’ve been connecting my old iPad to the internet via MY iPhone, while my big old desktop computer lies dormant.
If I can get the modem-Wi-Fi thing going, she can watch Netflix on the “smart” TV in the East Wing while I do taxes (and/or play Eldon Ring) in the West Wing. meanwhile, she wants to borrow this iPad to watch something on Apple TV for an hour right now. THANKS again for the help.