Gene Simmons Wants to Sue All MP3 Downloaders

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nicodemus_mm

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2009
And so now we're left with hundreds of thousands of people without jobs. There's no industry.

Mr. Simmons,
If there's no industry it's due to the crap that's being spoon-fed to us labeled as music. I guess at least you have the decency to call it rain while you piss on us.
Also, "hundreds of thousands"?? You may want to wake up and smell reality. If an artist is out of a job it's because A.) people don't like their music B.) they're getting raped by RIAA and others claiming to "help" them OR C.) they've taken a disagreeable position on something (like Gene Simmons) or made a bad publicity move (like the Chixie Dicks) and people decided to vote with their wallet.

TL;DR - Wake up and get a clue. The more you tighten your grip the more customers will slip through your fingers.

P.S. - A KISS TV?? Really?!? ROFL... and you think you have a hard time selling music? Aaaahahahaha...

thillntn

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2010
Shouldn't he sue himself? Wasn't music playing in the background on that leaked sex video when he was cheating on his wife? Just saying....

kewlx

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2010
[citation][nom]nebun[/nom]wish him luck, lol. wait, i don't think he has that much money, does he even realize how much he will need to spend to sue at least over a million of d-loaders?[/citation] only a million? talk about 25 million in the US alone then probably a lot more being outside the us

frederico

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
[citation][nom]ZaKa[/nom]It is nothing like a fox taking an egg, it's more like a fox magically creating an exact duplicate of the egg and then both parties have eggs and everyone is happy. Besides, the fox doesn't have any money to buy an egg - what do you expect him to do? He doesn't know better.Copying isn't stealing, it's copying![/citation]

Its called stealing and piracy. The whole "its just copying because it exists in data form" argument is old and tired and only used by confused teenagers who haven't the faintest clue of intellectual rights nor company costs.

ericburnby

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
Of course Gene is taking an extreme position, but he's still basically right. Just because you can copy something doesn't make it OK to do so.

LOL at people saying it's OK to copy something and at the same time call his son Nick a plagarist. Hypocrite much?

I would bet money that not one single person posting here on Tom's has ever created something worthwhile like music, software or written a book. And since they've never contributed anything like this to the world, they have no idea how it feels when other people steal it from you. Karma's a bitch, I say.

BulkZerker

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
[citation][nom]frederico[/nom]Its called stealing and piracy. The whole "its just copying because it exists in data form" argument is old and tired and only used by confused teenagers who haven't the faintest clue of intellectual rights nor company costs.[/citation]

You can take your intelectual property and shove it son. I'm not paying half the cost of a ticket to see a group LIVE, where the GROUP GETS THE lions share of the PROFITS FROM a TOUR. Releasing albums was and still is a means to advertise for the tour. And anyone who does it in the opposite manner shells out singles by the month and albums by the season, ala shovelware for the Wii.

Support the artists by paying for tickets, not albums!

Also, isn't' Gene one of those guys who can't even fathom the whole indie rock thing? I believe someone asked him this off camera and paper and he just seemed astounded that a person could do it without a record company taking 80% of the money made from the records selling, and paying the radio stations to play a single. Oh, and blowing / licking the CEO of MTV to put up a vid for a week.

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
Seems like his scripted, fake "reality show" isn't generating the sort of revenue he was expecting. 'Kiss' is a legend, but he's devaluing the legacy by selling out to the lowest common denominator in the entertainment industry....a reality show - what a loser!!!

G

Can't sue me for stealing, I have never downloaded his crappy band's music. Though, I do make fun of people who like KISS, maybe he can sue me for that.

spectrewind

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
"There's no industry"

There is an industry. He's just not in it. The business model is a part of died years ago and is no longer making money as P2P became a viable method of acquiring MP3s.

Survival of the fittest... Right now, he does not "fit" ... so he (business model he uses) will not survive.

spectrewind

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
I tried listening to some of his (their?) music once. Yes. It was a couple of MP3s. Just to try them out.

Frankly, I think KISS music is crap and even a compressed MP3 file was a TOTAL WASTE of hard drive space.

I know other people like their "art"; I don't. -And I'm not alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.