Gene Simmons Wants to Sue All MP3 Downloaders

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

longshotthe1st

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2010
I make my own music and I would rather someone downloaded it for free instead of not listening to it because they had to pay. Music is about sharing your creativity with others, not making money. KISS was just a gimmick.

hawkwindeb

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
[citation][nom]ZaKa[/nom]Copying isn't stealing, it's copying![/citation]
OK, what part of the word "Copyright" don't you understand. Why don't you learn about a subject instead of repeating hearsay at best before you speak/post!!

Suggested reading (pick your country of choice for their law which is most likely VERY similar if not the same)

Excerpt from: http://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/faq-general.html#what
What is copyright?
Copyright is a form of protection grounded in the U.S. Constitution and granted by law for original works of authorship fixed in a tangible medium of expression. Copyright covers both published and unpublished works.

What does copyright protect?
Copyright, a form of intellectual property law, protects original works of authorship including literary, dramatic, musical, and artistic works, such as poetry, novels, movies, songs, computer software, and architecture. Copyright does not protect facts, ideas, systems, or methods of operation, although it may protect the way these things are expressed.

ginnai

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
Gene is notoriously greedly... so everything he says should be taken with a grain of salt. It is laughable that he even has an opinion in the matter, since KISS piracy is right up there with my highschool band in terms of numbers. A more ferocious first strike may have altered things slightly, but not enough to really notice. When CD burners came out and became affordable in the 90's... it was the end was in sight. All Gene has done is perpetuated his legend as a sell out hack... and a shameless seeker of media attention. As a personal pledge, Gene Simmons, I will continue to not download your music and as well as maintain my tradition of changing the station when it is on the radio.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
OK, for a start unless the artist is it's own studio, they won't lose money.
Here's how it works:-

1) Robbie Williams signs an £80 million deal with EMI
2) Robbie Williams makes several albums
3) EMI has to sell the music
4) People download all the music from torrent sites and EMI gets nothing
5) Robbie Williams lives the high life on £80 million in the bank
6) EMI wishes it had done more to prevent piracy
7) Robbie couldn't care less

So Gene Simmons is acting all hurt and shocked by piracy, he should man up and grow a pair because he already got paid for his albums.
As far as i'm aware supplementary income from tours and merchandise can't be taken away from him because you can't torrent a ticket to a live gig or download a t-shirt.

oxxfatelostxxo

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2007
Dont worry gene, if i didnt download your music illegally, i wouldnt have paid to get it anyway... Most of us college kids are broke as fuck, so um, SUE ME.. you can have um...wait shit, i dont have anything for you to really take..

WAIT i know, you can have my copy of the KISS discography.. i dont really listen to it so NBD.

Just be grateful that ppl still listen to your music. You made your money so stop trying.

jalek

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2007
He's been off his nut for years, he thinks Trump is soft.

Back in the day, the music industry could've been much more effective trying to harness the technology instead of lawyering up and losing money suing everyone. The backlash that has been largely ignored did affect CD sales, I know I canceled two "record and tape club" memberships at the time and have avoided major labels almost entirely since.

hawkwindeb

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]OK, for a start unless the artist is it's own studio, they won't lose money.Here's how it works:-1) Robbie Williams signs an £80 million deal with EMI2) Robbie Williams makes several albums3) EMI has to sell the music4) People download all the music from torrent sites and EMI gets nothing5) Robbie Williams lives the high life on £80 million in the bank6) EMI wishes it had done more to prevent piracy7) Robbie couldn't care lessSo Gene Simmons is acting all hurt and shocked by piracy, he should man up and grow a pair because he already got paid for his albums.As far as i'm aware supplementary income from tours and merchandise can't be taken away from him because you can't torrent a ticket to a live gig or download a t-shirt.[/citation]
Are you sure? It use to be and I thought still is that most if not all artist make something on every sale of their, to use your example, album on top of any signing bonus and/or upfront or post production payment(s) and if this is the case the artist really does care if their product is out their for many to freely but illegally copy for others to have their own free copy.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
File sharing is the only thing keeping most of the industry afloat. The music you hear on the radio is a small fraction, probably 1 billionth of all of the music out there. Most people want to hear music before buying it.

With out that, you end up with no exposure, for example, around NY you often see many independent people trying to produce their own music. The area where they fail and eventually give up is they try to sell the music on the street for like $5 for a cd with 3-5 songs. And they are trying to sell this to people who have never herd of them of their music. They do that and expect people to pay a price that is higher than many professional well known artist.

That business model just doesn't work. This is why radio is such a big asset to record labels, they know that people wont spend money on a album they they know nothing about.
Also most of the crap on the radio is nowhere near as good as many of the songs that are not on the radio, but the radio crap sells the most because it is getting more exposure.

File sharing allows everyone else to get exposure at no cost to the artist, they can then gain fans who will buy their albums and go to their concerts. Even for large famous artist, a radio station may not play all of their songs so people may only end up buying the 1 song. and samples are not as good as the whole song. Some samples can make a good song, sound bad by playing the worst part of a song or they can make a bad song sound good because they end up playing the good 30 seconds of the song and everything else is crap.

Sarthurn

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2008
Sue downloaders? Be thankful they are even listening to your ancient stuff...It was bad enough watching you during half-time during the superbowl a few years ago, bet most of the fan, and all the players, wondered, who are the old guys in drag on stage? A KISS TV? Really? And what makes it so special we should run out and buy it? It plays in Black and White? Whines a lot? Sits on a Platform shoes mount? Only shows 1 channel - KISS TV? Well, why? KISS Condoms too? Bet they are as cheap as he is...

G

It costs money to create music for a living. True
It costs nothing to distribute music once it has been made. True

Selling what costs nothing is a bad idea. There has to be a way to fund development while taking advantage of the fact that release costs nothing and cannot be limited. Concerts may work for music, but what about software and movies? Theres no good answer. But piracy is clearly not the problem, its that it costs money before its done, but once completed theres no reason to not make it avaliable to everyone. Too bad no one likes communism...

G

Lol I agree with him, music piracy is just as bad as game piracy. People should be sued for pirating anything - stealing is stealing.

Oh and everyone who disagreed with him probably pirates shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.