Gene Simmons Wants to Sue All MP3 Downloaders

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Everyone born into that whole greedy generation just needs to move into the nursing home and die already.

It's sad to look at my grandparents' generation dying off and taking the last of American integrity with them. All that remains after they are gone are the lazy, greedy 50-60 somethings like Simmons who just want to take until they can't take anymore.

I know Gene Simmons isn't reading this, but I'll say it anyway. Just die already you worthless elitist piece of trash. Leave something of our country for decent, hardworking people.

G

this is pathetic,
so he wants to sue his FANS too..
if it wasn't for his fans he wouldn't have a career..

Deadstick50

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
"LOL at people saying it's OK to copy something and at the same time call his son Nick a plagarist. Hypocrite much?"

Really?? The greater majority of downloaders arent looking to make money from it, Nick Simmons was getting paid for his plagerism....READ MUCH?

applegetsmelaid

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2010
The music industry just needs to change and adapt to the current technological environment. The music industry is killing itself. "Music" is very much alive, well, and more abundant than ever. Independent music is gaining ground now, but you don't hear them complaining. Only 10% of music sold makes a profit. The real money is in concerts, endorsements, and merchandise. That's why you made your little planet KISS Mr. Simmons. Major labels are LOSING MONEY in lawsuits, so I don't see what the point is. Adapt to the game or perish.

applegetsmelaid

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2010
OK, for a start unless the artist is it's own studio, they won't lose money.
Here's how it works:-

1) Robbie Williams signs an £80 million deal with EMI

The 80 Million is in a form of an ADVANCE. This must be recouped in record sales before Mr. Williams gets a penny. In short, it is debt.

ericburnby

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]OK, for a start unless the artist is it's own studio, they won't lose money.Here's how it works:-1) Robbie Williams signs an £80 million deal with EMI2) Robbie Williams makes several albums3) EMI has to sell the music4) People download all the music from torrent sites and EMI gets nothing5) Robbie Williams lives the high life on £80 million in the bank6) EMI wishes it had done more to prevent piracy7) Robbie couldn't care lessSo Gene Simmons is acting all hurt and shocked by piracy, he should man up and grow a pair because he already got paid for his albums.As far as i'm aware supplementary income from tours and merchandise can't be taken away from him because you can't torrent a ticket to a live gig or download a t-shirt.[/citation]
You clearly know nothing about how the record industry works. A very, very, very small percentage of music artists would get money up front. And no new artist would ever get a deal like that - only established artists with a proven track record of music sales. In other words, a big-name star.

As to all the artists who give away their music for free? It's because it sucks. I've worked as a live sound engineer for 20 years now (it's a hobby) and I've heard all these so-called "independent" bands. When you talk to them they all sound the same, and it goes something like this:

"We won't ever sell out to the record companies."
"We make music for us and our fans, not to make money."
"We care about making quality music, not pop garbage."

The reality of it is: "You guys are a crappy band, you'd give your left nut for a record deal and a chance at millions, and you use the excuse of being independent and telling people you have "integrity" to cover up the fact you're so butt-hurt nobody wants to sign you."

G

I read this and realized that I don't have any KISS music. None at all.

SO I just torrented the discography.

Don't let your tears ruin your makeup, Gene.

Twoboxer

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2008
Simmons is absolutely correct.

OTOH, when I buy a song, I want to be able to play it on *any* of my devices, without control, without difficulty.

Too bad protection and personal use can't be resolved.

el_bastardo74

Distinguished
May 22, 2010
this greedy turd is rich beyond belief. i don't feel a bit sorry for him. i used to have respect for him...now i have none. gene and lars can both go to hell as far as i'm concerned

IQ11110002

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2009
A lot of the music I listen to(electronic), I would never have bought in the first place as I didn't know it existed,Why because all they play is the same top 40 bullshit on the radio day in and day out which the record companies promote.
So I listen for free online or through a podcast and if it's a good tune I look it up on Itunes or another mp3 site overseas where I can purchase it. Or If your at a club and hear a tune you like, Whip out Shazaam or simialr app to get the name of it. Get with the times Gene,Hell I'm older now(30+) and understand the latest trend,Digital purchases are the only way forward,Whether it's movies or music so Mp3's or Xvids are gonna be around for a long time.

Rab1d-BDGR

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2009
[citation][nom]hawkwindeb[/nom]OK, what part of the word "Copyright" don't you understand. Why don't you learn about a subject instead of repeating hearsay at best before you speak/post!!Suggested reading (pick your country of choice for their law which is most likely VERY similar if not the same)Excerpt from:Quote :What is copyright?
Copyright is a form of protection grounded in the U.S. Constitution and granted by law for original works of authorship fixed in a tangible medium of expression. Copyright covers both published and unpublished works.

What does copyright protect?
Copyright, a form of intellectual property law, protects original works of authorship including literary, dramatic, musical, and artistic works, such as poetry, novels, movies, songs, computer software, and architecture. Copyright does not protect facts, ideas, systems, or methods of operation, although it may protect the way these things are expressed.[/citation]

If you go to that website and scroll down to the bottom you'll see: © 2010 Leslie A. Burgk, P.A. All Rights Reserved.

Your argument might have been more convincing if you weren't "violating" someone else's copyright by reposting their stuff without permission.

Not that I'm bothered, I don't believe in "owning" Imaginary Property (IP).

princessolive

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2010
Stop commenting on this, you are just sinking to his level. Nowadays I wouldn't give a penny to some cocaine snorting musician. It is the same as giving drugs to them yourself by giving them your money.
I've got my favs and I will continue to buy digital versions of their music.

xenophorge

Distinguished
May 27, 2010
Why do I get the feeling 4chan is going to find itself another target soon :) "Oh noes! The KISSnet has gone down! The KISSbits are being blocked by a ddos attack! Quick, release the KISShounds!"

Status
Not open for further replies.