Gene Simmons Wants to Sue All MP3 Downloaders

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

frederico

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
[citation][nom]BulkZerker[/nom]You can take your intelectual property and shove it son. I'm not paying half the cost of a ticket to see a group LIVE, where the GROUP GETS THE lions share of the PROFITS FROM a TOUR. Releasing albums was and still is a means to advertise for the tour. And anyone who does it in the opposite manner shells out singles by the month and albums by the season, ala shovelware for the Wii. Support the artists by paying for tickets, not albums!Also, isn't' Gene one of those guys who can't even fathom the whole indie rock thing? I believe someone asked him this off camera and paper and he just seemed astounded that a person could do it without a record company taking 80% of the money made from the records selling, and paying the radio stations to play a single. Oh, and blowing / licking the CEO of MTV to put up a vid for a week.[/citation]

I'm not saying the industry isn't rotten, I'm glad people download these things, I don't like money obsessed people like Gene Simmons, but I am sick and tired of nerds "justifying" stealing.

If all the bands made some amazing albums to help Africa and absolutely zip of that money went to industry people or the money grabbers or the bands half of you people would still just download the thing for free off the net.

Moral schmorals, its just grabbing/stealing free shit and calling it another name.

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
For people who are saying Simmons has enough money. Did you read the article? He is talking about the demise of an entire industry, not just his own bank account. But then, people who think they have a right to steel other peoples hard work for free, tend to think of only themselves and therefore must think everyone else is the same.

G

Dont worry Gene, I would never download KISS... or buy KISS for that matter. I might throw it away though! Good luck Gene!

dextermat

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2007
He will sue 1 or 2 person because his music sucks and no one listen to it: Just like Stefie Shock (unkown Quebec artist that whines about mp3 downloads)

apocalypseap

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2009
His analogy is ridiculous. It's more like having millions of hens and having merely thousand foxes make copies of eggs. It's nothing like what he's describing because he still has those millions upon millions of hens and eggs.

Funny thing here is he's only making it worse for himself. Now people will be giving his music away to people they don't even know. "Oh no, I'm not gonna make a few million more on top of the hundreds of millions I have! I better sue people that like my music!" What a douchebag.

apocalypseap

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2009
[citation][nom]Rab1d-BDGR[/nom]If you go to that website and scroll down to the bottom you'll see: © 2010 Leslie A. Burgk, P.A. All Rights Reserved.Your argument might have been more convincing if you weren't "violating" someone else's copyright by reposting their stuff without permission.[/citation]
Fair Use disagrees:
"Notwithstanding the provisions of sections 17 U.S.C. § 106 and 17 U.S.C. § 106A, the fair use of a copyrighted work, including such use by reproduction in copies or phonorecords or by any other means specified by that section, for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching (including multiple copies for classroom use), scholarship, or research, is not an infringement of copyright."

Now you can stop pretending to be smart. thx.

G

I can name 10 soundtracks from Nintendo whose music has better composition than anything KISS has ever done.

G

Who is still stealing mp3s? Get a dam Zune or Napster account, and pay the whopping $7-$15 to listen to all you want.

Music used to be a huge ripoff; now it is actually worth what it costs and people should be paying.

rawoysters

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2009
"And so now we're left with hundreds of thousands of people without jobs. There's no industry."

No Gene, there is still an industry, it just isn't where it used to be. Musicians are starting to get smart and realize with a little effort, they don't need the RIAA.

G

Or... maybe these "artists" could actually get a real job for once in their lives!

G

How old is this guy? All of his music should be in the public domain by now, but it is not since the RIAA keeps lobbying congress and extending copyright. RIAA is stealing from the public domain!

sagansrun

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2008
Never got into KISS, even when they were popular back in the 70's. 2 chords for their music, 4 words to their songs, Stupid looking makeup, who cares Gene--you obviosly have no clue regarding copying...

Status
Not open for further replies.