Gene Simmons Wants to Sue All MP3 Downloaders

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

garyshome

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2009
Not Bad for a bunch of Dinosaur rockers from another age. Let's support our LAWYERS, they are the reason this country is what it is.

G

What kiss does is marginally music. He should just be pleased with what he has for the "music" kiss put out. Seriously you ever listen to the lyrics, its on par with what a 5th grader could do.

hoof_hearted

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
Someone needs to stick a few foxes and eggs up the darkest spot on his lilly white ....

I used to listen to kiss when I wad a little kid, but as I got older, I realized how much they suck. Now, I won't download, listen to on the radio, etc. any of their material or any other lame rock band for that manner.

G

Seems like artists made too much money before then!
Perhaps they should take some of the farmer's gold, because he's stealing the eggs from the chicken and selling them!
The farmer is no better than the fox!

At least the fox steals to stay alive. The farmer steals to get rich, and he does not need chicken to stay alive!
Greedy farmer!

Besides kiss sucks!

normano

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010
greedy SOB!!!!

has he not made enough out of those freckle-faced teenagers?

its for this reason I never, and I mean NEVER buy music anymore. Yes, I have been known to download the odd track, but let them prove they lost money buy me doing that - as they could not prove I would have paid for it has I not been able to have got it from p2p

G

who cares no one wants any Kiss or Simmons music any way. He is trying to bolster his "brand" Its funny how out of touch Musicians are, I have purchased more music from hearing a stray MP3 than one would think did not steal anything just heard it and purchased a bands entire catalog...

G

Hah I remember the old days... recording tracks off the radio and using the dual cassette tape player to make cassete mixes, then copying those and trading them.

You know when teh grateful dead were touring... they were consistenly in the top 10 money makers in the music industry. The Dead even encouraged fans to records concerts and trade the music. They made their money from merchandise and from actually playing the music in front of people who bought tickets to see them.

fracture

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
Welllllllll. Looks like we have a suer in Lincohln Park. He's climbing in yo windows, snatchin up yo MP3s. So hide yo MP3 players, hide yo KISS albums, and put a 50 character password on your computers too, cause he's suing erbody in hea.

AMD_pitbull

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
[citation][nom]fracture[/nom]Welllllllll. Looks like we have a suer in Lincohln Park. He's climbing in yo windows, snatchin up yo MP3s. So hide yo MP3 players, hide yo KISS albums, and put a 50 character password on your computers too, cause he's suing erbody in hea.[/citation]

LMAO...great reference, hilarious clip.

[citation][nom]metalmania31[/nom]You're all complaining because you're the foxes stealing the eggs. LOL[/citation]

It's funny that you say that, but, through the odd MP3 that I accidentally downloaded (cuz my CD rom is too touchy to trust with my $30 CD that I just bought), I've actually bought more music then I ever would have had I just ripped the songs from my CD's. Sorry, this fox ain't a thief, he's just lazy.

G

What a sellout, this guy knows nothing... HDTV's, also getting Barbie KISS Edition?... Rock sellout.

Darkv1

Distinguished
May 30, 2009
[citation][nom]moricon[/nom]I am going to download the complete collection.......and then DELETE IT!!!![/citation]
That was the first thing that came to my mind when I saw this story on Gizmodo a few days ago.

Houndsteeth

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
OK, since Gene used the fox and chickens analogy....

The big labels used to sell the only eggs you could find, and they charged as much for their eggs as the market would bear, all the while feeding their chickens on cracked corn and then letting them peck and scrabble for whatever else they could find.

One day, some smart chickens figured out that the eggs were actually worth something more than what the big labels were telling them, so they started producing and distributing their own eggs.

Then along came new technology that allowed the cute foxes to take any old egg and make umpteen million perfect duplicates. You might call it egg-flation, except that it put a crimp into the business model for both the big labels and the smart chickens, so they started stamping their eggs with individual signatures (DRM) and made it a crime to remove the stamp and copy the eggs (DMCA). In the process of doing this, some people who bought the stamped eggs could no longer eat them, but were not allowed to get their money back for inedible eggs.

Eventually, some enterprising individuals came up with compromises that allowed the cute foxes access the the duplicated eggs for a reduced price, and allowed the cute foxes to buy their eggs one at a time instead of by the dozen. Some folks came up with plans that allowed the foxes to have as many eggs as they wanted as long as they paid a fee each month.

In the end, since egg duplication is relatively inexpensive compared to the old egg distribution model, it has became cheaper for chickens to get their eggs directly on the market without having to rely on the big labels. So, the chickens who used to be fed on cracked corn and whatever else they could scrounge up all the sudden have more access to the money paid by the cute foxes. The big labels have less and less control over the market.

Sure there are some smart cute foxes out there still removing the stamps off the eggs to duplicate them, but they really aren't saving themselves a lot of money since the price of eggs went down considerably now that the big labels can't charge outrageous prices.

G

Every time one of these rich music wankers start crying about money I lose all respect for them. His reality show cemented him completely as a douche just as others. I remember kid rock once commenting about MP3's something to the affect "So what I made ten million last year instead of Twenty. Then a couple of years later he signed onto a law suit against a club, with about 5 other "artists", that was illegally playing their music. Evolve.
Personally I am hoping that eventually that downloading will help "cull" the music industry and get rid of all the !@#$ out there. I won't hold my breath though.

john_e

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2010
[citation][nom]dextermat[/nom] Just like Stefie Shock (unkown Quebec artist that whines about mp3 downloads)[/citation]

Heck I live in Montreal Quebec and never heard of this Stefie Shock you're mentioning. lol

But in all seriousness, how many times in the 70's and 80's did the fans really get ripped off???? How many times did us fans buy albums that only had ONE or TWO songs that were good and the rest were crap. So who is ripping who off?

It was thanks to music stores such as HMV, where clients can listen to music before buying, that the artists and record companies shaped up and started to produce records that had more then one or two good songs on the album.

Status
Not open for further replies.