Genenrall question about cellphone charger

makaveli2007

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2010
hi

if the charger is connected to the electric , but not charging a cellphone.

does it still consume electric power?

i myself think it does , because the charger still converts the elctric from high to low to match phone...

no.

without the device being charged connected there isnt any draw on the receptacle.

think of it like an on/off switch which basically does the same thing... it disconnects the source of power from the device... which is the same as unplugging your phone from the charger.

makaveli2007

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2010

hi man

my theory is that the charger is always drwaing a electric from the socket and converts it to match the cellphone>

and if the cellphone isnt connected, the charger just wasting electric for no reason

i defend this because i dont think that a tiny electric device as cellphone can draw a electric from the electric source

also when you can look at chargers with leds on them showing they are still consume power

the led on a charger does draw power. however, even if you left it on for a few years it will still be under $1 cost.

for the rest... i suggest reading up on how electricity works.

google it.

The devices you are talking about are called "vampire" power devices. Any type of charger, phone, laptop, etc... will draw a small amount of current when plugged in, even when nothing is connected to them. I don't like leaving chargers plugged in at all when not in use, but the power they use is very little.