General Laptop Advice From An Old Pro.

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Klosteral

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2009
I completely agree about the MacBook comment; my friend(s) are the same.

If your girl only wants to do those really low-power tasks like word processing and FaceBook, she does not need a better laptop. That said, 6.6lbs is about 3kgs in my country and that is pretty heavy. She may want something lighter for extra portability and your upgrades are not going to help that. But that is a different matter.

As for the upgrades themselves, definitely do the memory (RAM) and the hard drive upgrades but most new systems use G wireless so I do not think the N card will be the most useful. Besides, it is a USB dongle and your daughter may not like it sticking out the side of her laptop. Girls seem to care only about looks; hence why they look to MacBooks.

Here are the prices for your HDD and RAM (you have to buy 2GB RAM because they need to be the same brand, speed etc) from my local retailer:
2GB DDR2-800 PQI (brand) - $32
2.5" 320GB Western Digital - $50
USB Tenda W311U Wireless N - $13
http://www.msy.com.au/Parts/PARTS.pdf

New Total: $95AUD

If you do decide to get a laptop, these are the prices and specs of what I am looking at in Australia:
http://www.msy.com.au/Parts/notebook.pdf
You can probably get the same stuff for about 20% less in the UK or the US.

-Klosteral

Avro Arrow

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2009

The hard drive? nah, that won't speed up anything. The RAM? Yeah, that will make a difference for sure. The Wireless stick? Nope, I can't see that being a problem unless the integrated one died. I'm going to guess that this is an XP laptop and I'll tell you three programs that are GOLDEN for speeding up XP.
1.) CCleaner
2.) Regscrubvistaxp
3.) Defraggler

CCleaner stands for "crap cleaner" and is made by a company called piriform. You can use it to clear out all the crap in her temp folders.
Regscrubvistaxp does exactly what it sounds like. It cleans out the registry of all the crap that has gotten into it over time.
WARNING: If you see like 3000 errors, re-install windows. Only a virus can do that kind of damage.
Defraggler is also made by piriform and as its name suggests, it is a defrag utility that is 1000x better than XP defrag.
CCleaner and Defraggler are both available on filehippo.com and RegScrubVistaXp is available at majorgeeks.com, they're 100% free.
If your daughter is still whining, get her this:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Compaq+-+Presario+Laptop+/+AMD+V-Series+Processor+/+15.6%22+Display+/+2GB+Memory+/+250GB+Hard+Drive+-+Basic+Black/1271897.p?id=1218245812097&skuId=1271897
It's only $300 and it's guaranteed to shut her up. Tell her she can go buy her own webcam. :sol:

Klosteral

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2009

A 7200RPM drive will be faster than a 5400RPM drive, though not by much and it will be unnoticeable on such a low-end computer where heavy processing is not performed.

I would recommend doing the upgrades and periodically (every few months) running the programs Avro Arrow suggested and keeping your computer smooth and fast. Also, consider purchasing a virus scanner such as Kaspersky Anti-Virus or Trend Micro Internet Security. Viruses can destroy computers or at the least slow them down. My personal preference is to Trend Micro and I have licences for all of my home computers.

Good luck,
-Klosteral

Klosteral

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2009
Yes, AVG is the best free-ware anti-virus out there; I encourage everyone to have that on if they have no paid anti-virus software. That said, I like Trend Micro and do not mind spending money on licences for it.

Klosteral

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2009
No much bro, not much at all.

I need your opinion... again... for something like the third time...

I like the ASUS N61 here (the specs, price etc):
http://www.msy.com.au/Parts/notebook.pdf
But I think a 16" screen could be a little to large to frequently take around.

Do you know where I can find an equivalent laptop (not craptop :p) for a similar price in a smaller (14" or 15") screen? Or will the cooling for something in a smaller case be poorer, thus making it more prone to overheating?

-Klosteral

Avro Arrow

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2009
I think that what they are calling a 16" screen is really a 15.6". I've never seen a real 16" laptop before but 15.6" is the standard size of the overwhelming majority of laptops today. The line between what constitutes a 15" or 16" laptop is blurry because a 15.6" is often referred to as either or. My own laptop is a 15.4" screen but it's a 16:10, not 16:9. When monitors started adapting the 16:9 ratio which is standard for HD video as opposed to the 16:10 ratio which is the standard for games, 15.4" became 15.6" and since it now rounds up, some manufacturers have started calling them 16" screens instead of 15". That laptop is a standard size so there's no real need to worry. A problem with the smaller screens is that they rarely, if ever, have powerful GPUs because smaller screen laptops are only very rarely used for gaming. As I was looking through some Aussie sites, it struck me how much more you pay for computer hardware there (That could be due to the fact that I only saw Intel-based laptops on 2 major sites). If someone was to start selling AMD-based laptops in Australia, they'd clean up because you Aussies would be ecstatic that you weren't getting buggered on the price anymore. I think that the laptop you chose it perfect for your purposes and I couldn't really find one better although it doesn't help when skycomp, computer online and Mwave's websites are all down at the same time. I'll check again in the morning. :sol:

Avro Arrow

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2009
I am going to add something here concerning netbooks. I saw all the sites talking about the differences between Windows 7 Starter and Windows XP Home and how they're similar in performance. Well, I'll tell ya, I never liked XP Home and W7S was really pissing me off on my new netbook. I bit the bullet and installed Windows XP Pro today on it and HOT DAMN what a difference! The thing isn't SLOW anymore! I mean, I knew it would be faster, my laptop is much faster with XP Pro but DAMN, I never expected XP Pro to make it go from painful to smooth! Comparing the performance levels between Windows 7 Starter and Windows XP Professional is like comparing cold molasses to greased lightning! And that is NOT an exaggeration! :sol:

christianncg

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2010
Hi, and thank you for such a wonderful break down on the subject of laptops, i.e. the low end ones. i was trying to decide on two laptops based on there specs, and with the help of your breakdown on things, i was able to determine that the Toshiba Satellite Black 15.6" C655D-S5084 Laptop was the superior choice due to its ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4250 card inside. although the acer i was looking at had greater specs when it came to processing, ram as well as hard drive space, most if not all of those items can be upgraded to better parts of the same type. the acer that i was interested in had an intel 4500m i think it was, and according to reviews by gamers, intel absolutely sucks when it comes to gaming, as stated by you as well (i think). feel welcome to judge which one i should get, as i will post the specs below:

Toshiba Satellite Black 15.6" C655D-S5084 Laptop $398.00
* AMD Athlon II Dual-Core Mobile P340 processor 2.20Ghz, 1MB L2 Cache
* 3GB DDR3 Dual-Channel 1066MHz memory
* 250GB 5400RPM SATA hard drive
* DVD SuperMulti drive supporting 11 formats
* 10/100 Ethernet LAN; 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi Certified
* ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4250 Graphics with 256MB-1405MB dynamically allocated shared graphics memory

Acer Aspire AS5736Z-4016 Laptop $428.00
* Intel Pentium Processor T4500 2.30Ghz, 1MB L2 Cache, 800MHz FSB
* 4GB DDR3 Dual-Channel SDRAM Memory
* 320GB 5400RPM SATA hard drive
* 8X DVD-SuperMulti Double-Layer Drive
* 10/100/1000 Gigabet Ethernet LAN; 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi Certified
* Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 4500M with up to 1759MB total graphics memory

Thanks, any comments will be greatly appreciated.

polarbearz

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2010

Klosteral

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2009
The graphics card ranks in as one of the best single cards out there (laptop only) so it will be fine. My concern for that is the CPU but for that price, grab it.

That said, if you want a desktop replacement, you have to check out the ASUS G73. That 17.3" laptop is a beast!

polarbearz

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2010

wow thanks for the suggestion i can get one from best buys site for the same price as the MSI one. I was also considering this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220755 as its been shown a few times and i like the specs on it. How dose it stack up to the ASUS G73 as far as gaming performance?

blackjellognomes

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2009
I'd argue that some brands are worth paying a bit more for - but more so for warranties and customer service than for hardware.

I don't think this is a good generalization. Most laptop hard drives, disk drives, and RAM can be upgraded/replaced by Average Joes. If the CPU isn't soldered in, it can be upgraded as well. Even LCDs can be upgraded (with sufficient know-how), if deemed worthwhile. The only major parts can't be upgraded (feasibly) are the motherboard and GPU.
But your advice is well-rounded otherwise. Good stuff.

You probably don't want to invite specific laptop questions if you're looking to have your thread stickied. :kaola:

Klosteral

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2009

That thing is a piece of junk compared to the G73. Yes it has a Phenom Quad but it is only a 1.6. The ASUS has a 1.73 with turbo-boost to 2.93!
Next comes RAM, which is 4GB of 1066MHz in the K52 while the G73 (while there are different models) has minimum 6GB 1366MHz RAM.
The G73 can have up to two drive bays which means more than 500GB space (again depending on the model).
The real item of interest here is the graphics card. The G73 has a 5870M, as it said before, that is one of the best single cards on the market for laptops. The 5730M is still a good gaming card but it is nothing compared to the 5870.
If you are looking for a desktop replacement, you will want a larger screen. The K52 has a 15" screen (K-model, 5-size, 2-generation) while the G73 has a 17.3" screen.

If you CAN get the G73 then you SHOULD get the G73. It is all about how much you are willing to spend but I tell you this.
The K52 and G73 are by no means similar laptops.

Jacks2011

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2010
Thank you for all the information, I have found it very useful to read through these comments. I'm trying to buy a laptop for my inlaws (in their 80's) and have found the following at John Lewis (a very reputable store that my mother-in-law loves!). I would really appreciate you opinion on whether there is any difference between the following laptops and if the price is reasonable. I feel quite nervous buying this as it is a lot of money for them to spend and I'm NOT a computer expert. They want to do basic business/surfing/talking to their son in Australia, so I'll have to add a webcam. Thanks in advance - off now to find out how much a replacement battery costs! Thanks again for the top tips.

Toshiba Satellite C660D-10W Laptop, AMD Sempron, 250GB, 2.3GHz, 2GB RAM with 15.6 Inch Display
£319.95
Toshiba Satellite C660-15 Laptop, Intel Celeron Dual, 320GB, 2.1GHz, 2GB RAM with 15.6 Inch Display
£339.95
p.s there is a timing issue as VAT will go up in the new year so they are anxious to buy now.

Avro Arrow

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2009

Definitely the Toshiba. Not only is it less expensive, it will actually play a good number of games (even if they're at minimum settings) while the Acer will not. That Intel GMA will be an Albatross around your neck. :sol:

christianncg

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2010
Yeah, I'm waiting for the shipping for it to kick in. I did my homework and thankfully I got the right one, for the best price. (walmart wise, anyways). Looking forward to gta 4, and if not that then gta San andreas haha.