George Lucas Seriously Considering Star Wars 3D

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jeverson

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2007
I don't understand where everyone keeps getting the idea there is a 7-9. That is an old myth. I am a little torn about the 3D thing. There are some scenes in 4-6 I would like to see in 3D but only if it can be done without hurting the original content. As far as 1-3 are concerned I would mainly just say "what 1-3?". Although, I recently saw an interview with Lucas where he was talking about how each generation since 4-6 has had "it's own" Star Wars. My generation (and apparently the rest of you on this thread) saw 4-6 as kids and loved it. The kids that grow up with 1-3 apparently love it. Then there is a halfway generation that loves that weird "clone wars" cartoon. However, preceding generations don't like the newer releases. Looking at it that way made sense. It's really hard to live up to the expectations of our inner child or our childhood memories. I know several people that didn't see 4-6 till they were adults (don't ask me how this happens :p). They liked it but couldn't understand what the big deal was about. I know I am carrying on here and getting off topic, I am just tired of people rehashing this old argument. This is all anyone needs to know...

1. 4-6 rocked for us.
2. 1-3 rocked for them.
3. 7-9 is a myth/urban legend/geek's wet dream!!!
4. George should only conceptualize... never write or direct!!!
5. 3D could be nice but isn't needed.

Thanks.

CBaca

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2009
I've been hooked on Star Wars since 1977, yes I am old. I wouldn't mind seeing Star Wars in 3D as long as it is a new story line. Something around the time of the Old Republic or from the books that take place after Return of the Jedi. Please don't turn the existing films into 3D, I want to see something new!

LePhuronn

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
There is a 7, 8 and 9 and it focuses on Leia/Han's and Luke/Mara Jade's kids, the rebirth of the Jedi Order and the rise and fall of everything again (conflicts as the old Empire is rooted out, invasions, second Civil War, Jacen Solo becoming Sith and killing aunt Mara, the birth, rise and fall of Anakin II, etc.). These stories are all told in comics and novels.

Lucas will not be putting this 3rd trilogy into a film format.

SamanuelMC

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2008
[citation][nom]je11117[/nom]Darth Vader: "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"[/citation]
DO NOT WANT!!!

No but seriously if he choose to do a post Return of the Jedi trilogy like the Thrawn trilogy. Could be epic

wayneepalmer

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
Manakin Skywalker in 3D

Maybe the whole "dead kid, acting" would come off in 3D in a way that doesn't make me think some of the actors they put on the autopsy tables of the various CSI/NCIS episodes have more personality.

I doubt it.

One hopes the whole 3D comment is that Lucas will do the final 3 episodes set AFTER the deaths of Palpatine and Vader at Endor...and NOT just using CGI actors this time.

FoShizzleDizzle

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
Immature but, I just realized if I add '...in your pants' to the end of any of the news headlines on the front page, it makes for really funny statements. This one included.

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
Well, the new ones were completely filmed in CGI, that must be easy to convert, and all the new movies have 2D characters to begin with, no need to do any conversion...

invalid777

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2007
[citation][nom]gnookergi[/nom]Put the Star Wars 7-9 in 3D.[/citation]

I'd prefer this idea versus going back and making 1-6 3D. Perhaps focusing on a different timeline or group of individuals. The Star Wars universe has had close to 40 years to mature. I'm pretty sure something can be done there.

loomis86

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2009
If lucas had sense left, he'd do the final trilogy that he canceled in 3D, and leave the finished two trilogies the HELL ALONE!

Oh jeverson, that "clone wars cartoon" was originally planned to be the third trilogy. It got canceled.

trevorvdw

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2007
No need George, if I want to see a turd in 3D I can look in the toilet. You've done enough damage to your old work already, please just stop.

forenikegolf

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
Toy Story wasn't created with the new digital 3D in mind, but I went to see the 3D double feature that came out mid 2009 and it looked fantastic.

Remember, Lucasfilm obviously has the masters and with that they can manipulate it just as Cameron did Avatar. Unless Cameron filmed Avatar with a special 3D camera, turning Star Wars into 3D would be a similar process.

I'd definitely go see them in the theater, especially the original trilogy.

Zoonie

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2007
[citation][nom]forenikegolf[/nom]Toy Story wasn't created with the new digital 3D in mind, but I went to see the 3D double feature that came out mid 2009 and it looked fantastic. Remember, Lucasfilm obviously has the masters and with that they can manipulate it just as Cameron did Avatar. Unless Cameron filmed Avatar with a special 3D camera, turning Star Wars into 3D would be a similar process. I'd definitely go see them in the theater, especially the original trilogy.[/citation]

Brother, it's not hard to setup new stereoscopic cameras in an animated movie. In a real movie, you'd have to reshoot the whole thing with a new camera, if you'd like it to be better than those red/blue movies.

G

[citation][nom]gnookergi[/nom]Put the Star Wars 7-9 in 3D.[/citation]

If only... A new series with a new story is what Star Wars really needs. Episodes 1-3 were only really explaining the lead in to the 3 films that we know and love. With a new series they would have more freedom to be creative and free themselves from the shackles of the past. That could only be a good thing. Look at Knights Of the Old Republic- basing itself away from the timeline in the Lucas films was probably one of the best decisions the designers made. The story in SWKOTOR 1 definitely gives the films a good run for their money...

Shadow703793

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2007
[citation][nom]raishi[/nom]Avatar was filmed for 3D. Tacking it on to Star Wars would never have the same effect.[/citation]
Agreed. Just because the tech is available doesn't mean it's a good idea to re-make a film on it.

jkflipflop98

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
The only things in Star Wars that would be cool in 3d would be the blaster fights and the space travel parts (jumping to lightspeed in 3D would be cool I bet). Other than that, it would be a huge waste.

G

Yet another excuse for Lucas to re-badge and re-flog Star Wars. I agree that he should be kept away from the story after what he did to Eps 1-3.

It would also be a change for ILM to save some face after being totally pwned by the guys and gals at Weta Digital.

zachary k

Distinguished
May 14, 2009
hmmmm, star wars 4-6 redone in 3D (but, without so much as touching one line of the script). avatar story line sucked but looked awesome, star wars has great story line but getting dated, best idea ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.