George Lucas to Donate Majority of Disney Billions to Education

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jaquith

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2009
Hmm...Typo I assume??!!
A company spokesperson told The Hollywood Reporter (THR) that Lucas will be suing the "majority of the sale price" for educational philanthropy.

Must be nice to have Billions to donate, good for Lucas! ;)

soo-nah-mee

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
It restore a bit of my faith in humanity to see the super rich giving huge amounts of money back to the masses. Of course I need only watch a couple youtube videos of people fist fighting over gasoline on the east coast to zap that faith away.

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
I think schools are over-funded. The elementary schools near here give kids free iPads in addition to all their textbooks -- that's how much extra money is just floating around. Colleges are never hurting for money. I would have really liked to see Lucas put that money towards medical research. I think that's where it can do the most good for the greatest number of people. Don't get me wrong, I like what he is doing, but I think there are better causes to help civilization move forward.

slabbo

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2009
There isn't a money problem with out education system although the politicians would want you to believe that. Why? Because they know they can trick the public into voting for higher taxes by pretending education needs more money.

Our education system needs an extreme overhaul. Sure you can keep throw money at it, but that won't fix the problem, because no matter how much you throw at it, it never gets spent on teachers, classrooms, or students. It gets caught up in the unions and administrators.

We spend the most on education, out of 11 countries we spend the most and are 9th and 10th in science and math. Other countries do a lot better for less.
http://mat.usc.edu/u-s-education-versus-the-world-infographic/
But noooo....it's always the money, says the politicians...

10tacle

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2008
[citation][nom]slabbo[/nom]There isn't a money problem with out education system although the politicians would want you to believe that. Why? Because they know they can trick the public into voting for higher taxes by pretending education needs more money.Our education system needs an extreme overhaul. Sure you can keep throw money at it, but that won't fix the problem, because no matter how much you throw at it, it never gets spent on teachers, classrooms, or students. It gets caught up in the unions and administrators[/citation]

EXACTLY!!! We spend more and more every single year on "education" and yet continue to get diminishing returns. Today's high schoolers in America know less in general than middle schoolers did just a generation ago. Our public school system is a complete and monumental failure. And I'm not sure why you got voted down, but it is the dead on truth whether people want to deny it or not. I know first hand about education, being the son of a former superintendent of a school district and a former high school English teacher.

blackened144

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
[citation][nom]jkflipflop98[/nom]I'd spend it all on hookers and blow. And a party that lasts until I die.[/citation]
Hows the famous quote go? I've spent half my money on gambling, alcohol, and wild women. The other half I wasted.

tburns1

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
He is one guy that would hugely benefit from plastic surgery. He needs a neck lift. So that, in turn, we could actually see his chin. :)

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
there is a difference between being rich, and richer than god.

that said, its nice that he is donating what... 4 times his wealth to good causes, even if he donated everything but 100 million i have little doubt he couldn't live his whole life happily.

wonbadan

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2010
[citation][nom]knott00[/nom]*indicative* See, I can't even spell properly. I need to go back to school myself... lol[/citation]

Underfunded? dear friend please. Ever since I turned 18 and started voting, there is always propositions/bills to give more money for the education system. Yet all all these years, do you know how much the total education fund makes it to the classroom, the actual kids? 20% at most. The rest goes to the administrators and pension system. Don't believe me? I dare you to ask your state education system to do an 3rd party audit.

Throwing money into this crappy system will solve the problem. Charter school system will help.

Rhinofart

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
[citation][nom]devBunny[/nom]Whose job, indeed. ;-)If your going to pick up on typo's, at least get you're own granma rite.[/citation]

I certainly hope you're being sarcastic with your sentence there.

devBunny

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2012
[citation][nom]Rhinofart[/nom]I certainly hope you're being sarcastic with your sentence there.[/citation]

Off coarse. Well, maybe more silly than sarcastic. ;oD

Status
Not open for further replies.