Get a GTX 10 series laptop now or wait until GTX 11 series?

DiamondsareMine

Estimable
Apr 29, 2014
I am trying to get a gaming laptop and I realized that there are rumors of the GTX 11 series cards coming out in September. I'm wondering if I should get something like the Dell XPS 15, MSI GS65, or the Razerblade now or wait until something better comes out.

I know that the GTX10 series has been out for a while so I thought maybe it's better to wait for something that is so close to coming out since it will be way better. What do you guys think?

Solution

Look, I'm no special insider, but based on how long it took last time, I would buy now. Even with it being established, those things still take time to develop, so unless you are good with waiting till next year then you should buy now.
Jun 13, 2018
I would by a laptop now since the Max Q design of current mobile GPUs are pretty good, and will take a while to be carried over to the 11 series. If you do want to wait expect more like December 2019 for anything with reasonable power efficiency.

First off, it's still a rumor (albet a high chance of it being true, but still a rumor) that they are coming in July/September timeframe. Second, when the 11 series do launch, expect at least another 3 months before mobile chips make it to the market, so an easy wait until 2019.

As most people in the tech world would say, if you need it now, buy it now. Unless there is a new release of components/devices coming just around the corner.

DiamondsareMine

Estimable
Apr 29, 2014

Do you think that something like the Max-Q for the 11 series will take a long time to come out? Shouldn't it be faster since it's a little bit established?

Jun 13, 2018
I would go buy a laptop now, even if the 11 series comes out they will probably be for desktop gpu's and it will take quite a while to migrate towards laptop gpu's, so I suggest getting one now or if your patient enough to wait 1-2 years

Jun 13, 2018

Look, I'm no special insider, but based on how long it took last time, I would buy now. Even with it being established, those things still take time to develop, so unless you are good with waiting till next year then you should buy now.

Solution