Getting "True" Dolby Digital in PC games?

sontawila

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2002
Hi all,

A quick question: Can I get true 5.1DD through PC optical out for games that supports it (logo in the intro)? without the use of DDL.

I tried hooking the optical cable to the onboard Realtek HD Audio and hooking the other end to my avr (Denon 2805)
I tried hooking the same with creative soundblaster x-fi Surround 5.1 Audio System to the same avr

In all setups I couldn't specify a 5.1 speakers surround from respective properties. Only stereo is available.

I manged to get DD via both setups in films and clips but not with games. The only way I manged to lightup that DD prompt in avr when playing game is by enabling DDL.

So is there actually a way to get DD for games without DDL?

Thanks a lot.

Solution
Well, in terms of gaming don't feel too bad. The gaming audio files for true"discrete" surround would be huge if they offered it. So most if not all games use a simulated type of surround. Although, some sound cards(or onboard audio if the offer it) like Creative cards on their "Z" series have SBX software which is an updated version of CMSS which does a good job of simulating because they work with audio programmers to add audio clues for the 3D sound experience, heh.

DDL and "DTS Connect" take a 2.0 channel and upmix it to 5.1/7.1. But by configuring the audio software in Windows and your sound card on either device(sound card or onboard audio), you can get virtual surround from all your speakers.

Happy surround, the Prisoner...
Well, in terms of gaming don't feel too bad. The gaming audio files for true"discrete" surround would be huge if they offered it. So most if not all games use a simulated type of surround. Although, some sound cards(or onboard audio if the offer it) like Creative cards on their "Z" series have SBX software which is an updated version of CMSS which does a good job of simulating because they work with audio programmers to add audio clues for the 3D sound experience, heh.

DDL and "DTS Connect" take a 2.0 channel and upmix it to 5.1/7.1. But by configuring the audio software in Windows and your sound card on either device(sound card or onboard audio), you can get virtual surround from all your speakers.

Happy surround, the Prisoner...

Solution

KiwiBoy92

Honorable
Nov 3, 2013

Just a quick question, why does the ps3 allow DD through optical and not with the pc ?
I'm trying to get DD to work on the pc and am having no luck what so ever.