Gift Card-Cloning Thief Scams Best Buy and Apple

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

This guy steals $6000 worth of cash (store money anyway) and gets 19 months probation. Yet, a person that gets caught sharing a few copied songs on their computer gets slammed with over $1M in fines. Something is REALLY messed up with the justice system here !

webbwbb

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2009
[citation][nom]ed785[/nom]This guy steals $6000 worth of cash (store money anyway) and gets 19 months probation. Yet, a person that gets caught sharing a few copied songs on their computer gets slammed with over $1M in fines. Something is REALLY messed up with the justice system here ![/citation]

The difference here is that those fines for illegal downloads are a civil matter. This guy could still be sued by each and every victim, including the people who bought the gift cards and the stores. He should have received a larger punishment than he did but he will likely still have more to pay back.

redgarl

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2009
Seriously, the only thieves there are the one selling you gift cards... it's nothing more than a disguised contract forcing you to buy something at XXX store before the expiring date.

If only they were giving you 10% off their merchandise...

Onus

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
[citation][nom]aaron92[/nom]I didn't know the Taliban serve justice around here.[/citation]
The Taliban kills people for rejecting their irrational restrictions. This guy willfully violated the rights of others, repeatedly. Put him down like an animal; humanely but swiftly, so as not to waste too much time and resources. Too harsh? Then don't violate people's rights.

spentshells

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2006
[citation][nom]sliem[/nom]If you wanna steal, steal big.[/citation]

i know right ! 6000 even 60000 whats that worth your entire life for ??

should at least be 600000 although you wouldn't live like a king

you could pull off a life with it when you got caught providing you are not tarded like

this guy nice idea but piss poor planning

gh0st

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2010
Seriously?!?! probation? that's all you get for stealing,fraud,and drunk driving these days?And a program that he downloaded from the internet?So how many others are doing this or have done this and some stores have shrugged of people claiming they didn't use their gift cards...

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
thios is whats wrong with teh world today ..

this guy robs a bunch of stores , and gets no jaul time , yet a friend of mine went to prison for 5years forbassically bieng a victim .. basiclaly he was at a firend's hosue ,they asked him to give this guy a ride to buy some booze ( some one he didnt know at all). well durring the trip they come up on a police road block , at this point the guy whips a gun out and points it at my buddy'shead and tells him to drive through it , so anturally my firend does , not wanting to get his head blown off.well long story short they bust my frind along side the criminal , and my friend got 5 years in prison ... point being our leagal system is majorly broke

Kaiser_25

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
[citation][nom]demonhorde665[/nom]thios is whats wrong with teh world today ..this guy robs a bunch of stores , and gets no jaul time , yet a friend of mine went to prison for 5years forbassically bieng a victim .. basiclaly he was at a firend's hosue ,they asked him to give this guy a ride to buy some booze ( some one he didnt know at all). well durring the trip they come up on a police road block , at this point the guy whips a gun out and points it at my buddy'shead and tells him to drive through it , so anturally my firend does , not wanting to get his head blown off.well long story short they bust my frind along side the criminal , and my friend got 5 years in prison ... point being our leagal system is majorly broke[/citation]
seriously learn to spell...?

okibrian

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
[citation][nom]demonhorde665[/nom]thios is whats wrong with teh world today ..this guy robs a bunch of stores , and gets no jaul time , yet a friend of mine went to prison for 5years forbassically bieng a victim .. basiclaly he was at a firend's hosue ,they asked him to give this guy a ride to buy some booze ( some one he didnt know at all). well durring the trip they come up on a police road block , at this point the guy whips a gun out and points it at my buddy'shead and tells him to drive through it , so anturally my firend does , not wanting to get his head blown off.well long story short they bust my frind along side the criminal , and my friend got 5 years in prison ... point being our leagal system is majorly broke[/citation]
As well as our education system.

j_gatz

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2010
[citation][nom]j_gatz[/nom]Uh...duress?[/citation]

Quoted the wrong guy; this was aimed at Mr. Oxford up there

enzo matrix

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2009
[citation][nom]jtt283[/nom]The Taliban kills people for rejecting their irrational restrictions. This guy willfully violated the rights of others, repeatedly. Put him down like an animal; humanely but swiftly, so as not to waste too much time and resources. Too harsh? Then don't violate people's rights.[/citation]
So you think theft under $10,000 should warrant the death penalty?
[citation][nom]jtt283[/nom]The Taliban kills people for rejecting their irrational restrictions. This guy willfully violated the rights of others, repeatedly. Put him down like an animal; humanely but swiftly, so as not to waste too much time and resources. Too harsh? Then don't violate people's rights.[/citation]

lashton

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
free Wireless access point and a wig with fake beard maybe his first purchase should have been a disguise lol and a laptop then goto starbucks and buy your shit lol

hillarymakesmecry

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2009
People, please stop buying gift cards. Just give give people cash. As soon as you buy a gift card a retailer recognizes profit from projected unused balances on cards. You're all throwing your money away and creating waste.

Give cash! Every time I get a gift card I'm irritated about it.

hillarymakesmecry

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2009
People, please stop buying gift cards. Just give give people cash. As soon as you buy a gift card a retailer recognizes profit from projected unused balances on cards. You're all throwing your money away and creating waste.

Give cash! Every time I get a gift card I'm irritated about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS