Gift Card-Cloning Thief Scams Best Buy and Apple

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thebigt42

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009
[citation][nom]gh0st[/nom]Seriously?!?! probation? that's all you get for stealing,fraud,and drunk driving these days?And a program that he downloaded from the internet?So how many others are doing this or have done this and some stores have shrugged of people claiming they didn't use their gift cards...[/citation]

A fool with a tool is still a fool

tokenz

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2006
[citation][nom]jtt283[/nom]The Taliban kills people for rejecting their irrational restrictions. This guy willfully violated the rights of others, repeatedly. Put him down like an animal; humanely but swiftly, so as not to waste too much time and resources. Too harsh? Then don't violate people's rights.[/citation]

Man you are one big tool. You are willing to kill someone for stealing. Whats even worse is for a small amount of 6000. Someone should dig up your basement. God only knows how many bodies of prostitutes we will find down there.

Onus

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
[citation][nom]Enzo Matrix[/nom]So you think theft under $10,000 should warrant the death penalty?[/citation]
For a one-time first offense? No, of course not. Six months' hard time, plus a few simple lessons in Objectivist philosophy should do ("What you did was Wrong. Here's why (no Pope, President, or other bogus external authority necessary). Now, don't do it again." But for someone who makes a habit of it, or treats it like a game? Absolutely. Put him down like an animal, humanely but swiftly, so as not to waste further resources. I'm all for tolerance, but not of deliberate wrongdoing. Society accepts too much of that. Why else aren't we safe after dark in our own cities, and can't trust the people we elect to office? Why are we able to buy products whose claims are not supported by basic engineering analysis (*cough*Apevia*cough*Diablotek*retch*Logisys*choke...), even on the best of days?

Onus

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
[citation][nom]tokenz[/nom]Man you are one big tool. You are willing to kill someone for stealing. Whats even worse is for a small amount of 6000. Someone should dig up your basement. God only knows how many bodies of prostitutes we will find down there.[/citation]
A prostitute isn't violating anyone's rights, no matter how "unsavory" her profession may be. The thief, however, is. Yeah, I'd see him put down for habitual offenses, darn straight. Too harsh for you? Not to worry, just don't steal.

ALANMAN

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
[citation][nom]redgarl[/nom]Seriously, the only thieves there are the one selling you gift cards... it's nothing more than a disguised contract forcing you to buy something at XXX store before the expiring date.[/citation]

Best Buy gift cards don't expire. Typically BB makes a profit from gift cards that are purchased and then never used. One such store that I worked at years ago made $1M+ in purchased gift cards that were never redeemed.

Granted, some people may lose them, but I wouldn't say that a company has stolen money from someone who forgets to redeem a gift card.

jwl3

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2008
The only part I can't figure out is how he managed to tap into Best Buy's order processing system to let him know the cards were sold.

enzo matrix

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2009
[citation][nom]jtt283[/nom]Yeah, I'd see him put down for habitual offenses, darn straight. Too harsh for you? Not to worry, just don't steal.[/citation]
Ah. So you are a fan of the "police state"

G

U guys have no idea he had such a hard time well wat he had no jail time but because they deported him to mexico and its being very hard on his family im her youngest sister and I do miss him and that is y u people have no idea wat he has been throi in fact its not even his fault its a girls fault that got him in trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.