Girl Halts Kidnapping by Pretending iPod is iPhone

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bill gates is your daddy

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
....just another advertisement for the iTard masses.

This story reeks of gorilla marketing.

The girl does not go to Stanton Middle School where she was standing beside. Also, the school district has no record of the child going to any of their schools.

"The suspect is described as a white male, 35-45 years of age, with a dark crew cut styled hair. He was last seen wearing a dark sweatshirt and was operating a white work van."

Hell...that's a description of steve jobs if I ever heard one.

And let's be honest.....what 12 year old does not carry a cellphone today?

captjack5169

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2008
[citation][nom]waynewarrior78[/nom]I know I didn't have to read it or click on it but.......Once again, how the hell is this news?Tom's Hardware used to be fun and exciting to read, but now it seems like a plug for companies to advertise their products. Throw up a review, tutorial, or anything related to tech rather than this garbage. I dont even care if the review is for a useless tech device, as long as it is techie in nature. Hell, pay me $10 and Ill do it hahaSeriously though, everyone who agrees (if you dont that is fine) SPEAK UP[/citation]

I have mentioned this issue time and time again. Toms was recommended to me like two years ago and it was the best hardware website I had ever been on, but now a days its like the 3rd or 4th pick versus sites like ars technica, slashdot, CRM, and Hard forum. Some stories here are great and worth reading this is not one of them, nor would I care if some used a cell phone to prevent themselves from being kidnapped, this is a good practice but does not belong here on a tech website, IMO. Stories like last weeks CNN deal with microsoft being a dying company not thats a good article and pertains to everyone in the IT world. Its kinda embarassing when the articles you are reading are full of errors both spelling and punctuation, and the story was featured on another website 3 or 4 days ago. Kinda makes me wonder if the people who managed this site either aren't getting paid enough or they don't care anymore, either way we the readers are the ones losing. I find it really funny when I come here at 1400 in the afternoon and the same stories from last night at 2100 are still here and then come back at 1700 and only one story has been added, but I ll go over to Ars and they have 5 or 6 new stories in the first 6 hours of the day. Again, this is all just my opinion, ill still come here for the GPU and CPU charts there good when I need to spec for customer setups.

captjack5169

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2008
[citation][nom]jomofro39[/nom]Stop hating on Marcus. I am sure our grammar would suck too if we had to learn his native tongue as our second language. Take it for what it is. And kudos to the girl even if it didn't really happen. This should give a ton of people ideas hopefully, to avoid capture and abuse.[/citation]

First rule of doing anything. DO IT RIGHT OR DON'T DO IT. If you can't spell in english that is ok, have the business proficiency to get someone that does. I misspell all the time, because I type too damn fast, and when it comes to letters to customers and business prospects, I always proof read twice. There not much difference between inept and incompetent. So I try not too project either to my customer base, you lose business that was.

wiyosaya

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
All anyone needs to do is run the grammar checker in their favorite word processor; grammar checkers are as ubiquitous as spell checkers. It baffles me that many "professional" writers have not yet discovered the grammar checker.

f-14

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
12 yr old girl right out infront of her school claims some one tried to kidnap her but she stopped it pretending her mp3 player was a cell phone. let's ask all the other kids and teachers first as this is either an emo publicity stunt or another one of jobs lame apple publicity stunts espcially since the girl was so utterly brilliant to pretend her toy was a phone, yet she failed to get the lisc. plate number the color of the vans interior, the make and the model of the van. come on this is an outright staged lie.
it's as bad as claiming terrorist plots were foiled right before your losing team goes to the polls a few days before the election

pozaks

Distinguished
May 12, 2010
There's a special place in hell for these whiny little grammar snots. The demons will describe how they are peeling off your skin, all the while using improper tense and dropping prepositions. "LOL, Baphalamous, maybe you should get a thrid proofreAHAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!"

wawa sxm

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010
i know its a very delicate subject but.....either this girl is lying or that school really have a security problem....if anybody can drive up to the school, atempt to kidnap a lil girl and no one is the wiser? no cameras not even a security agent that saw the car.....and good luck relying on a 12year old description....no wonder hes 35-45...geez

samuel

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2004
----- In other news ------
A good Samaritan was praised today after stopping a armed robbery at a local starbucks by chucking his Iphone 4 towards the armed assailant and knocking him out cold....

WHY is it that +95% of the posts by Marcus Yam always involve a Apple related product involved in a situation not too uncommon in todays world in a attempt to glorify the related product. When the truth is that, whenever there is a product thats owned by many, there will obviously be a higher chance that the product would be in the persons possession at the time of the incident/situation and she/he just might use that product either in a good or bad way.

Why is it that we never read that "Today Barak Obama made a very important last minute call to pull out all troops immediately from the middle eastern countries today with his BlackBerry!"

... Or for that matter "Breaking news today as a lady was rushed to the hospital after receiving third degree burns from her Nokia 2320 cell phone for allegedly using the vibrate mode on the phone as a means to masturbate making bodily fluids seep into the phone causing a battery explosion".

Now if its his only job to post all things Apple then thats cool, but why is it that you don't try to post things that your readers might actually care about then this type of stuff.
I mean there are so many tech related news about Apple and its products and many of them are probably worth mentioning but no, all I read is a imaginative girl using her itouch to make a fake 911 call when she probably would of done the same even if it was a zune!

Sorry guys for my rant, I barley post anything and keep my opinions to myself but Marcus your posts are getting way too repetitive. And just so you know my post is intended to be as constructive criticism with a bit of troll and 10 cups of FAIL with no creativity in Apple related news.

Just my .02
Peace

P.S sorry for the grammar, its late and I'm tired

Status
Not open for further replies.