Gizmodo Editor's Devices Examined in iPhone Case

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Usersname

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
[citation][nom]Desertlax[/nom]Weren't there multiple attempts to return the device made? that were turned down by apple, who believed there was no possible way their might be a gap in their iron-clad security.[/citation]No! Absolutely no effort was made to contact Apple with intent to return the iPhone prototype. That is why it has become a criminal investigation. (Meant for the first part of your post)

Usersname

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
[citation][nom]bfstev[/nom]In order for this to be extortion, Gizmodo would have had to taken the device and then demanded money from apple for it...[/citation]Extortion does not have to involve money, it merely has to be the suggestion of a threat.

sliem

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2009
Jobs, please look in the mirror.
If you don't see yourself, then find yourself first before making any movies because you "can't find yourself, lost in your lies" -- so said Amy Lee.

MrKKBB

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
Let me take a guess -- Gizmodo asked Apple for a finders fee (probably trying to recoup the 5K paid for the device) and the Apple legal team responded with a call to the DA accusing Gizmodo of extortion. Can't wait to see how all this plays out.

theubersmurf

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2008
[citation][nom]usersname[/nom]No! Absolutely no effort was made to contact Apple with intent to return the iPhone prototype. That is why it has become a criminal investigation.[/citation]ummm...

cadder

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
would change Apple's core values

Apple, maybe Jobs himself, has already corrupted Apple's core values. Look back at the beginning of Apple, their beginning advertisements. APPLE has become Apple's primary enemy.

theubersmurf

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2008
[citation][nom]cadder[/nom]Apple, maybe Jobs himself, has already corrupted Apple's core values. Look back at the beginning of Apple, their beginning advertisements. APPLE has become Apple's primary enemy.[/citation]Jobs and Woz used to be phone phreaks. Created the Blue Box, now all of their stuff is so proprietary it's ridiculous. 180 degree turn.

Pyroflea

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2007
But Jobs was very clear on the matter, saying that "letting it slide" would change Apple's core values. "I can't do that," he admitted. "I'd rather quit."

Their core values of selling mediocre hardware for ridiculous prices, and simply telling consumers that their products are superior to everything else ever made? Hopefully they don't change those values. /sarcasm

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]theubersmurf[/nom]ummm...[/citation]

Seriously? You are going to cite Gizmodo? How many links did you go through until you found this? Because every single websites I've looked besides the website under a criminal investigation states the exact opposite. Oops.

"A friend of Hogan's then offered to call Apple Care on Hogan's behalf, according to Hogan's lawyer. That apparently was the extent of Hogan's efforts to return the phone."

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/TECH/04/30/wired.iphone.finder/

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]zak_mckraken[/nom]Values which are basically : milk the cow dry, then milk it some more.[/citation]
[citation][nom]Tyellock[/nom]Cameron would be the director, it fits Apple products, all glitter and polish, no real depth.[/citation]
[citation][nom]truehighroller[/nom]Loser.[/citation]

You three should be banned. And so should everyone who votes up your idiotic comments. It's not even on topic, not even close to being on topic. If they just started banning you morons that troll Apple articles I bet idiots like you three would stop writing comments like this.

It's cool that you hate Apple. Really, I don't care. But do everyone else a favor and just ignore the articles.

sportsfanboy

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2008
no one seems mention just how a prototype iphone went missing in the first place. I'm sure it was to attract attention to the media. I have had an iphone for 3 years and haven't managed to lose it yet. But a big wig with an unreleased phone just happens to lose it, come on.

theubersmurf

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2008
[citation][nom]tayb[/nom]Seriously? You are going to cite Gizmodo? How many links did you go through until you found this? Because every single websites I've looked besides the website under a criminal investigation states the exact opposite. Oops. "A friend of Hogan's then offered to call Apple Care on Hogan's behalf, according to Hogan's lawyer. That apparently was the extent of Hogan's efforts to return the phone."http://edition.cnn.com/2010/TECH/0 [...] ne.finder/[/citation]None, since I've been following the story from the beginning. And I'm aware of the latter information, that doesn't change the fact that Apple employees dismissed it as a fake, or that their own system for finding iphones didn't work at the because of their own software.

Usersname

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
[citation][nom]theubersmurf[/nom]None, since I've been following the story from the beginning. And I'm aware of the latter information, that doesn't change the fact that Apple employees dismissed it as a fake, or that their own system for finding iphones didn't work at the because of their own software.[/citation]You're just writing utter rubbish. GO AWAY!

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
[citation][nom]tayb[/nom]You three should be banned. And so should everyone who votes up your idiotic comments. It's not even on topic, not even close to being on topic. If they just started banning you morons that troll Apple articles I bet idiots like you three would stop writing comments like this. It's cool that you hate Apple. Really, I don't care. But do everyone else a favor and just ignore the articles.[/citation]
I would oppose censoring someone simply because they have opinions that differ from yours, even if those opinions are biased or not well informed. I don't know where you are from, but I'd much rather live in a society where people are free to express themselves as long as it isn't racist or obscene. None of the comments you cited seem to meet that standard.

idisarmu

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2008
1) Steve Jobs has a horrible taste in movies.
2) Kevin Parrish needs to proof-read more.

Look at the 2nd last paragraph:

"Jobs also admitted that he has received advise from others that he should just let go of the whole Gizmodo ordeal."

That should be ADVICE (noun), not ADVISE (verb).

theubersmurf

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2008
[citation][nom]usersname[/nom]You're just writing utter rubbish. GO AWAY![/citation]Is there a fault in the bust of Jobs' somewhere? Or did someone recognize what he was wearing?

insanernator

Distinguished
May 27, 2010
[citation][nom]matt314[/nom]How did they extort him exactly?[/citation]

Simply targeted Apple with the L trigger, and used the extort expression.

Status
Not open for further replies.