Gmail Now Has Automatic Language Translation

Status
Not open for further replies.

computernerdforlife

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012
Next up, universal translator please.

It's not that i'm in a hurry to understand others speaking other languages, it's the ones that try to speak English that's so broken, it would be easier if they spoke their language that is properly translated into ours via a funny robotic voice. :)

del35

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
Translations leave a great deal to be desired. But with a significantly small amount of work than it would require to translate from scratch, you can achieve great deal of understanding.

G

I HATE it when google translate the english language to our local language. I HATE IT!
Great Minds Think Alike!
g.gif

G

I HATE it when google translate the english language to our local language. I HATE IT!
Great Minds Think Alike!

thezooloomaster

Honorable
Apr 19, 2012
Ray Kurzweil championed the translating telephone. It sucked back then and it still sucks now. Computer translation leaves too much to be desired, and what's more with a system like this, people could be tricked into reading erroneous translations without knowing better. Chances are that if you receive e-mails in multiple languages it's because you have interacted with a website, service in that other language (implying that you understand it) or said e-mail is simply spam and you don't care what it says anyway.

apone

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2011
Or you could just...you know....actually learn the foreign language completely and make yourself more marketable job-wise. There is no shortage of technological tools today that can definitely speed up language proficiency (such as Rosetta Stone, etc.). Also I've tried Google's translation services and it's been less than accurate to directly translating rhetoric and slang phrases (which is crucial for proficiency credibility).

Status
Not open for further replies.