Good DSLR Camera under $500?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vincent_Jonathan

Estimable
Mar 17, 2015
Hello,

I'm going to get a DSLR Camera that cost about $500.
Can you recommend me any good DSLR camera for that price range?

I've considered those camera:
-Nikon D3300
-Nikon D3400
-Nikon D5200
-Nikon D5300
-Canon EOS 700D (T5i)
-Canon EOD 1300D (T6)

I'm going to use the camera both for video recording and taking photos.
A camera with time lapse feature and articulating screen will be a better choice (since i'm gonna record a video by my self).

Thanks.

Solution
I'd go for Canon personally.

A few things to look out for when buying a DSLR. All of these cameras are interchangable lens cameras and as such you'll be investing in that brands particular lens range. Both manufacturers generally have good lens ranges but Canon's is more diverse. Also, many 3rd party adaptors and accessories adapt from the Canon lens mount system making it the better choice in the long run. But in the end it's not going to make much of a difference unless you see yourself upgrading to a better camera body in the future.

Most proffesional cameramen and photographers change bodies every few years but the lenses they buy stay with them for a long time. Investing in good 'glass' is pivital. Make sure you take that into...

wordofmitch

Honorable
Jun 28, 2013
I'd go for Canon personally.

A few things to look out for when buying a DSLR. All of these cameras are interchangable lens cameras and as such you'll be investing in that brands particular lens range. Both manufacturers generally have good lens ranges but Canon's is more diverse. Also, many 3rd party adaptors and accessories adapt from the Canon lens mount system making it the better choice in the long run. But in the end it's not going to make much of a difference unless you see yourself upgrading to a better camera body in the future.

Most proffesional cameramen and photographers change bodies every few years but the lenses they buy stay with them for a long time. Investing in good 'glass' is pivital. Make sure you take that into account when making your final decision. I started my camera journey with Canon and have had no regrets. I think the best option in the lineup listed is the 700D as its the most versitile body of the lot with plenty of video features to boot!

Feel free to ask me anymore questions. I'm not a cameraman or photographer per-say but I am a professional video editor working in the industry. My roots are in both selling and working with cameras so I know a thing or two. Although it's been 3 years since ive operated one outside of travel and family stuff since taking up my editing position!

- Mitch

Solution

VWRanches

Prominent
Apr 11, 2017
I also have a Canon EOS Rebel T6i and love it! It takes great quality pictures and most bundle sets come with the EFS 18-55mm lens which I have found is great for landscape shots. As for video, I have not used my T6i very much for video but the few times I have used it I have been pleased. I am still discovering everything that my camera can do and want to invest more in lenses just as wordofmitch said above. I hope this helps a little bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.