Good Laptop for programming and very light graphic rendering

Sep 30, 2013
I need a laptop for programming and very light graphic rendering. Suggestions please.
Heads up: I live in India.

• For Programming: I usually code in C/C++/JAVA/Web langs and hence use Sublime, Visual Studio, IntelliJ IDEA etc. Since VS and IDEA are famous for hogging memory, 6-8gb RAM would be nice. Even a 4gb one with free RAM slots would be ok. A decent CPU (~2-2.4 GHz) should be just fine. A full size keyboard would be great (high on the priority list) ;)

For Light Graphic rendering: I occasionally run MATLAB, Photoshop, Illustrator, After Effects and Premiere Pro. So light graphics processing would do. I don't think Intel HD graphics can handle that sort. But you be the better judge. A little low-graphics gaming would be a bonus (but not in the priority list) :cheese:

A small note: I have experienced both Intel and AMD systems and I'd like to say that I've the utmost faith in AMD. It has NEVER failed me. On the other hand my Intel systems have gone fishing in two years on an average. :'( Feel free to suggest either kind to me. Since I mostly need it for college work, light, portable and long battery life systems are preferred .

But perhaps the most important part is that I need the cheapest system which gives the best bang for buck. A system retailing at around Rs 25000 (~ $400) would be best.

PS: I was looking up stuff myself and I found this: Lenovo G50-45. I was wondering if its good enough. (A pointer on possible issues would be great!) My friend's got a Z50-45 series and its pretty good and very sleek.

Ambyjkl

Estimable
Feb 16, 2015
The laptop you have found is great for your requirement. AMD always beats intel when low budget is involved. If you have problems with low ram then you can go for the ram upgrade provided empty slots are available. Be sure to get ram with the same frequency as the existing modules as otherwise you may experience a bottleneck in performance. But be careful about the OS, since there is no os preloaded. I suggest you go for windows 7 as it may be selling cheap right now and microsoft has promised free upgrade to windows 10 even for windows 7. You can even go with linux as nothing beats linux when it comes to programming. You can easily install compilers for almost all languages and some linux distributions even come with most of them preinstalled. Best of all, linux is free :). I suggest Ubuntu as I am using it for several years and it rocks. You can run most windows applications even in linux using an emulator called Wine. But still, ask as many people as possible before you take a step.

Sep 30, 2013

Thanks for the answer. I forgot to mention something. I get the OS free from University. And no problems regarding Windows. I can everything in Windows, that can be done in Linux.

TRENDING THREADS