Good News: Internet Users Not Antisocial

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerky_san

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
Except in one or two countries I can think of hehe.. Stupid how they constantly do these studies wasting money when there are better things to do

trinix

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2007
But the media and everyone who doesn't spend a bit more time on the internet is convinced that we are anti-social and we lack communication skills and you can name another 500 things they throw at us, because we spend more time then them on the net.

Studies like these confirm what we have been saying all along. It's not that bad and it's not that different from when someone would lock himself up in a room and watch tv.

Some are more extreme and others are just as likely to engage in social activities outside of the internet, they just also spend time on the net.

r0x0r

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
In fact, just 6 percent of the adult population has no one with whom they can discuss important matters or who they consider to be “especially significant” in their life.

And I'm sure it's those same 6% who inhabit 4chan's /b/ board...

princeofdreams

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2009
If you think internet use does not make people anti social try taking a look in practically any forum, it is like Beirut on a bad day, the amount of hate and angst shown over the littlest difference in opinion

trinix

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2007
People are more passionate and the internet anonymity brings discussion further and harder than it would be face to face, but that doesn't make you anti-social to defend things more black-white.

When you discuss someone IRL you will also consider his feelings more and you will look him in the face and see you can't go any further. Different media, harder to tell the other players real feelings.

But as some topics are fought between 2 or more camps in a very hostile way and to the bone, we also see other topics get recognition for the others point of view, yet disagreement. The internet is filled with more extremes than the real world, but at the same time, as long as you know you are on the net, you know what to expect and you know that that person isn't attacking you, but your ideas.

kalogagatya

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2009
There are just too many preconceptions that people have that need a more precise revision.. (a few days ago you can remember it was the "2P2 users buy more music" that was cleared).

I use the internet quite a lot and i never felt anti-social! I have actually a healthy social life and in some way i think the internet helped me improve both my social skills and social awareness!

(I'm not a gamer though...)

oh and trinix +1 totally agree.

danny69t

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009
Oh , darn! I'm social, never would have thought that about me :)).
[waiting for a reply from Jane]

I find the study lame.

ominous prime

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2009
Seems like a rather pointless study, there's so many forums and social networking sites to converse and be social on. If more people were antisocial these sites wouldn't be so prominent.

That being said, I'm antisocial, now I must retire to my isolation in mother's basement as this social endeavor has caused me great pains.

zoridon

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2005
The Flame wars on the forumns are not much different than the political wars in Congress. In many cases it is the subject of the flame war in the first place. It all boils down to some self righteous communist loving lefty who knows best how you and I should spend our money and time. If we do not conform to their preconceived image of what a "good" person is we must be "re-educated" or forced to conform to their politically or socially correct way of doing things.

cybrcatter

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2008
Thank GOD I have these studies to tell me about myself. I just would be able to formulate a coherent perspective of the world if I didn't.

JonathanDeane

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
Perhaps this study is just wrong... I find that most people use the Internet including the anti social ones.

So while I may be anti social, I do value a good laugh and a hard facts :)

JMcEntegart

Splendid
Aug 25, 2007
[citation][nom]danny69t[/nom]Oh , darn! I'm social, never would have thought that about me ). [waiting for a reply from Jane]I find the study lame.[/citation]

A reply to what, exactly?

Gin Fushicho

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2009
Sorry commented on the wrong subject....

But yeah, those "social" sites ,arent very social , especially when a few friends I have on there noticeably never go offline.

To a slight degree. the Internet does offer social outlets, but nowhere near what many would consider "normal" social outlets, i.e. face to face based interactions. With that said though and based upon the article, it appears that the Internet isn't blowing over our basic instinct to be social.

Status
Not open for further replies.