Good paid antivirus for Windows to replace Avast

Status
Not open for further replies.

leftisthominid

Honorable
Jan 7, 2014
I am sick of avast internet security. The last program update screwed up my whole avast installation (and my Firefox installation). The program has massive disk usage, and there have been a number of smaller annoyances. They've all added up, and I really would like to replace avast with another paid antivirus.

There are two features of avast, which I really like and would like to retain. Namely, the stat monitor that tells me what is being files/webpages are being scanned in the background, and the boot-time scan. I almost never 't get viruses, but I have OCD about them and thus like these features.

I am looking for suggestions. I have three computers, one on Vista, one on 7, and one on 8.1.

leftisthominid

Honorable
Jan 7, 2014

Bitdefender is/was on my radar. What tier is most worth it, Antivirus Plus, Internet Security, or Total Security?

CWEric

Estimable
Jun 13, 2015
This: http://www.amazon.com/Bitdefender-Total-Security-2015-Download/dp/B00NPVPSDU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1434277316&sr=8-2&keywords=bitdefender+total+security+2015

Seem most people that buys it hates it. 45% gave it a minimum rating.

Kaspersky hand out their product for so little on Amazon for whatever reason. Only $20 for 1 year for a key that can be use upto 5 PC. Decent ratings 4/5. http://www.amazon.com/Kaspersky-Internet-Security-Multi-Device-Devices/dp/B00LU2XR8E/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1434277414&sr=8-3&keywords=kaspersky+internet+security+2015

Eset top tier Smart Security is selling on Amazon for $35. Its the most respected security suit from real customers on Amazon. A 4.9/5.0 rating. Saw a thread poll on a security forum with all the popular antivirus in the option and Eset won. People appreciate light weight and stability to not give anything to complain about and that why Eset seem to give a lot of positive experience. http://www.amazon.com/ESET-Smart-Security-2015-Edition/dp/B00OBQ6HM4/ref=pd_cp_65_1

I think real customer review is a better indicator of a product value then those review website that only have limited time to test each product and the conspiracy that they are being paid to screw the result.

leftisthominid

Honorable
Jan 7, 2014
My question is, how many of those reviews come from people who don't know what they're doing, so they give the product bad reviews vs. expert users who still find the program frustrating.

Mod Edit for Language

Moocats

Estimable
Oct 24, 2014
I totally hear you on aVast. A couple of years ago I loved it but it is now a slow, bloated, frustrating piece of software. It may kill viruses as well as it did then but I simply couldn't handle the loss of PC performance, infuriating advertisement pop ups and slow interface any longer so I washed my hands of them and their once great software completely.

A real shame that developers of all the good stuff inevitably end up making the same mistakes. Now I consider Norton and avast two pea's in the same awful pod.

On to a replacement. I've tried a couple of options. I personally settled on not having anything more than the Windows Essentials stuff because I personally don't need it, I never really did in truth it was just added piece of mind but I did try a few.

I didn't try any paid solutions here at home, I do not now nor will I ever agree that a paid for AV program is sensible outside of the office. Unless your habits include more risky past times such as p2p or going to that "speical place with the nice ladies" It's little more than a safety net. I know this isn't the most common advice you'll get. The party line is usually "always have an AV program" but in truth in reality it's not so important for people who simply want to go on Facebook and play Call of Duty. It's all about what you do with your machine and common sense. Only you can decide if your in the risk zone or not.

Back on point: Inside the office we went with a BitDefender license and we're very happy with it. The SoftWare is unobtrusive for the most part and doesn't suffer us a performance hit. I do think the interface is somewhat clunky in the permium version(s) and lacks the ability to create multiple repeating scheduled tasks but other than that I like it. From a technical stand point, it seems capable of catching as well as all the others. In truth the actual ANTI virus part of all these programs are comparable, the reviews like to give fancy numbers and details but in general for swatting the actual fly, BitDefender isn't really any better than aVast or Norton etc. It's more about what a user can actually live with. Norton for example is so disliked because it infests your PC and registry with all of it's junk that you never wanted to begin with which causes performance loss and is unpleasant to remove, Macaffe is guilty of the same.

For a home consumer I'm less convinced however that BitDefender's Premium software is the best option, a 1 year license for 3 PC's is not of much use to most people at home, surely 1 PC for 3 years is more useful if you really must pay for it?

To sum up here is what I advise you do in a practical sense.

You ignore entirely what's "best at killing viruses" as I said, they are all in reality fairly comparable and the only advantage one would generally have over another in this regard is the speed in which definition files are updated to detect new viruses. I don't think a home user needs to pay for this protection. I do agree aVast has ruined it's self but there are other options.

BitDefender has a free edition, it's simple but it works well and frankly this is EXACTLY what you want. Less is honestly more, you don't need nor want all these extra features in the real world 99% of the time. So my advise is try that first and see what you think, settle with that for a few weeks and then do a 30 day premium trial. See if you think you really need any of the extra features then make your decision as to pay for it then or revert back to free.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS