Good, preferably free, backup software

Status
Not open for further replies.

rob_bailey191

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2010
I'm looking for software that is good with synchronization. What I mean by that is instead of simply copying the entire mass of my sensitive files (roughly 800gb) to my backup location every time a backup is run is for the software to only pick up on the new files that have been added or the existing files that have been altered (the latter part of that strikes me as what would be the most difficult feature to come across). I am a photographer and will occasionally go through my PSDs and make minor changes and tweak them (the filename stays the same), and as opposed to saving these multiple files in multiple locations on the spot (or trying to remember later which ones have been altered and whether or not they have been saved on my various backup drives) it would be nice to have some software that can pick up on file changes when the backup is run.

So, any recos? I'd prefer to get free software but am willing to pay to get the features I describe. Thanks =)

ksiemb

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2009

Incremental backups are available in Acronis True Image Software. The newer version may even have backup by folder.

Hah! I was reading this thread to see if I could find a better alternative than the one I am looking at: Todo Backup. Have you ever used it for a full disk image and restore of a bootable drive?

May I ask, why wouldn't you use it for SSD? My current image app has cloned the SSD to a file on HDD and restored a bootable SSD - and my current app is eight years old.

Status
Not open for further replies.