Good quality gaming headset

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Yeldur

Commendable
Jan 28, 2017
Currently I'm an owner of the Plantronics Gamecom 788, and before that I owned a GameCom 780. You get the idea, I've stuck with Plantronics for a long while, unfortunately, this headset is no longer being made, they make headsets with Dolby Atmos now, unfortunately that isn't useful to me as I'm not going to spend my money just so I can make use of that aspect (You're forced to buy some stupid app in order to use Dolby Atmos on PC) - So it looks like this is the last headset from Plantronics I'll own, which sucks.

One thing to clarify: I would prefer not to use a Wireless Headset.

Essentially, this headset has had the best mic quality and the best sound quality of a headset I've bought. It's Virtual 7.1 Surround Sound

Here are the specs of my old headset:
Surround Software for Dolby Headphone Technologies
7.1 channels
On-Ear Controls Dolby Surround switch
Volume wheel
Mic mute
Drivers 40mm
Freq. Response 20Hz - 20kHz
Mic. Freq. Response 100Hz - 8kHz
Cable Length 6.5ft/2m
Interface USB

I'm looking for something with as close a spec as possible, I've loved this headset but it's slowly dying on me which is sad, and obviously worse that I can't buy another one. Looking for something with great quality for music and gaming, price is not an issue as I have a nice new job so can really afford almost anything (That being said I'm not going to spend £50,000 just for the sake of getting pretty colours)

I would be looking at a 7.1 headset but I've heard Music quality and general audio quality deteriorates from it so I would prefer something like I currently have, where I can switch from Stereo to Virtual Surround (If that's even a thing)

All help appreciated!

Solution
D
There are still GOOD headphones that don't need amps. My current absolute favorite is a 25ohm Fostex and it runs just fine off a tiny little Fiio M3 MP3 player. ( My good amps do improve the sound though )

A couple of amazing headphones that don't need an amp.

The Philips Fidelio X2. Open back Sennheiser HD 600/HD 650 competitor. Soundstage and imaging are supposedly amazing and it's comfortable enough to wear for hours. It's also cheaper on your side of the pond.

Sony MDR1A. Closed back alternative. Warm and bassy but still good enough for gaming.

Either of those would be a great choice for entry level audiophile cans and both are great for gaming as well. A cheaper alternative is the HD 598s. Much easier to drive then the 6xx...
D

Deleted member 217926

The M50X isn't in the same league as the X2s. The X2s are HD 600/650 competitors. The M50X is more of an HD 518 competitor and a very V shaped one at that. Only people who have never heard a good headphone think the M50X is one.

Yeldur

Commendable
Jan 28, 2017

I certainly will friend, just gotta wait for a bit as I'm a bit bogged down with a few expenses at the moment, either next month or the month after that I should have sorted out all my current debts and stuff (those take priority obviously :p) and then be free to purchase away! I look forward to giving them a proper review on your thread! Guess I'm going to start turning into a bit of an audiophile :D

Yeldur

Commendable
Jan 28, 2017

Well, I received the headphones and mic set.
Wow!
They are incredibly good. The bass, THERE'S SO MUCH BASS!

The audio quality is spectacular and so is the ability to hear where people are in games is insane, I thought my previous headset was good but oh my god this headset puts them to shame! Once I use them more and have more experience with them I'll give em a full review on your thread, but thank you oh so much for the recommendation, I could not be happier, honestly.