Google Acquiring Motorola Mobility for $12.5 Billion

Status
Not open for further replies.

mister g

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
The Android platform might be open, but I think Google wants a taste of how Apple does business with its iPhones. I'm wondering how all the Motorola phone owners feel about calling Google for tech support.

sinfulpotato

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2008
Well, I doubt it would be wise to close Android. If you piss of Samsung you might have bigger issues then losing the Galaxy S line.

LongLiveRock1974

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2010
[citation][nom]house70[/nom]"by the end of next year or early in 2012"you mean, the end of this year... 2011, remember?[/citation]

Even a 3rd grader could have figured out what she meant.

andy5174

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
[citation][nom]house70[/nom]"by the end of next year or early in 2012"you mean, the end of this year... 2011, remember?[/citation]
I think it's a typo. She must meant "2013" instead.

zorky9

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2009
[citation][nom]mister g[/nom]The Android platform might be open, but I think Google wants a taste of how Apple does business with its iPhones. I'm wondering how all the Motorola phone owners feel about calling Google for tech support.[/citation]
This is more for their protection from all the patent infringement stuff Apple and friends have sent their way. Motorola owns thousands of patents, and this move by Google makes a whole lot of sense. They're not going to PO their partners by giving Motorola Mobility some preference.

stingstang

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
[citation][nom]longliverock1974[/nom]Even a 3rd grader could have figured out what she meant.[/citation]
Oooooh. Pulling out the "Even a Xth grader coul" burns, huh? Cool story bro.
(Notice the way I'm pulling out the "Cool story bro" burn to be funny.)

jecastej

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2006
The move makes a lot of sense, absolutely. But.
Will Google play fair enough in the months and years to come with their other hardware partners, or will they be too tempted to go to far using their advantage?
How successful Google will be with their hardware business at all?
How will other hardware competitors read Google's new position.

hunter315

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
This is a nice way to shield the hardware manufacturers from suits about the Android OS, they had always been going after motorola and HTC so they could get money and avoid google, now they have to take on google, should help keep Android from costing license fees now that the google legal team is in on it too.

Archean

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2011
I think biggest motivator for Big G to get Motorola is 'patents'. Android is thinly covered when it comes to patents, that is why it is facing patent issue left and right, resulting in likes of HTC and apparently Samsung paying hefty amount to patent holders for each unit sold.

Archean

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2011
Don't think so, but it does mean, that likes of Samsung / HTC / LG will probably become more aggressive in diversifying their offerings by including other platforms as well.

MxM

Distinguished
May 23, 2005
[citation][nom]zorky9[/nom]This is more for their protection from all the patent infringement stuff Apple and friends have sent their way. Motorola owns thousands of patents, and this move by Google makes a whole lot of sense. They're not going to PO their partners by giving Motorola Mobility some preference.[/citation]
It would be much, much cheaper to simply license those patent. And entering hardware business may bring more patent litigation.

G

Great for consumers.

If you look at android manufactures, they are in multiple boats already.

Samsung supplies 40% of the parts for Apple iPhone while selling Androids.
HTC sells Android and Windows phones.

Now, it comes down to which is best and provide choices. HTC is already doing enough to distinguish itself by buying 3 companies in 1 month - 300 million on s3 graphics, 15 million on cloud company and another 600m on audio.

Eventually, Android will be so strong and each manufacturer will provide unique features.

Microsoft will be sidelined in post-pc era because they lost credibility with consumers.

Jerky_san

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
[citation][nom]mister g[/nom]The Android platform might be open, but I think Google wants a taste of how Apple does business with its iPhones. I'm wondering how all the Motorola phone owners feel about calling Google for tech support.[/citation]

I shall feel great cause I know that I will probably receive updates nearly constantly and hopefully Google will kill moto's motoblur and then I will have a pure android device. Maybe they will even strip out the locked boot loader ^_^

Status
Not open for further replies.