Google and Samsung Unveil the Galaxy Nexus

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Netherscourge

Distinguished
May 26, 2009
[citation][nom]win7guru[/nom]Wow only 10hrs behind every other tech site. Tom's used to be good at getting the scoop on a story, now they are sad. Engadget actually sent reporters for the event.[/citation]

Um... learn to scroll down?

Google Talking Ice Cream Sandwich, Nexus Right Now
9:50 PM - October 18, 2011 - By Marcus Yam -
Source : Tom's Guide US

;)

soo-nah-mee

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
BTW, the Apple vs. Android flamewar is really getting old. They both have their purposes.

iPhones are more for casual users as they are uber-user-friendly and simple.
Android devices are more for power users they like to tinker.
WP7 phones are similar to iPhones in their ease of use, but offer it up in a different flavor.

To each their own.

G

@Netherscourge

nice, now you wanna give me the numbers to the lottery at the same time ?

win7guru

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2011
[citation][nom]Netherscourge[/nom]Um... learn to scroll down?Google Talking Ice Cream Sandwich, Nexus Right Now9:50 PM - October 18, 2011 - By Marcus Yam - Source : Tom's Guide US[/citation]
The rest wasn't added until late this morning.

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]mobrocket[/nom]only negative is no Micro SD card slot... spec wise it is far superior to the Iphone 4s[/citation]

I wonder if you genuinely know how outrageous that claim is. The PowerVR SGX540 graphics is slower than the Mali 400 found in the Samsung Galaxy 2, which is significantly slower than the PowerVR SGX543 graphics found in the iPhone 4.

The camera is ridiculous too. This phone looks really poor to me.

Back-By-Demand owes me a months wages.

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
Sorry, I meant to type iPhone 4S*.

Here's a comparison of the 540 (found in the Prime) and the 543 (found in the iPhone 4S)

http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/03/imagination-technologies-powervr-sgx543mp2-really-is-faster-be/

Dare I say it - but 'where's the innovation'?

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]soo-nah-mee[/nom]BTW, the Apple vs. Android flamewar is really getting old. They both have their purposes.iPhones are more for casual users as they are uber-user-friendly and simple.Android devices are more for power users they like to tinker.WP7 phones are similar to iPhones in their ease of use, but offer it up in a different flavor.To each their own.[/citation]

This is absolute nonsense.

It's this exact idiocy of thinking that Androids are for 'power users' that is the ignorance I detest, and the same mistake which drives a lot of people to irrationally disregard Apple phones. The best minds I know who are heavily ingrained high up within the technology industry and are most definitely 'power' users all prefer iPhones. Don't confuse the intuitive interface with a simple phone.

getreal

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010
[citation][nom]watcha[/nom]This phone looks really poor to me.[/citation]

Of course it does! Android - poor phones for poor people!

subaru41

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2006
[citation][nom]watcha[/nom]This is absolute nonsense. It's this exact idiocy of thinking that Androids are for 'power users' that is the ignorance I detest, and the same mistake which drives a lot of people to irrationally disregard Apple phones. The best minds I know who are heavily ingrained high up within the technology industry and are most definitely 'power' users all prefer iPhones. Don't confuse the intuitive interface with a simple phone.[/citation]

LOL, LOL. Everybody remember the name WATCHA - Steve Handjobs #1 fan. All he does is sit at home all day and trolls on all the Android and iPhone articles. He has no life and don't upset him or he will write 30 comments of his opinion on why iPhone is the best and how he right about everything. It doesn't matter if you show proof that he is wrong with website links. He will just type, LOL you are stupid. Again, don't forget the name WATCHA,

getreal

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010
[citation][nom]subaru41[/nom]LOL, LOL. Everybody remember the name WATCHA - Steve Handjobs #1 fan. All he does is sit at home all day and trolls on all the Android and iPhone articles. He has no life and don't upset him or he will write 30 comments of his opinion on why iPhone is the best and how he right about everything. It doesn't matter if you show proof that he is wrong with website links. He will just type, LOL you are stupid. Again, don't forget the name WATCHA,[/citation]

Cry more?

G

[citation][nom]subaru41[/nom]LOL, LOL. Everybody remember the name WATCHA - Steve Handjobs #1 fan. All he does is sit at home all day and trolls on all the Android and iPhone articles. He has no life and don't upset him or he will write 30 comments of his opinion on why iPhone is the best and how he right about everything. It doesn't matter if you show proof that he is wrong with website links. He will just type, LOL you are stupid. Again, don't forget the name WATCHA,[/citation]

Thank you Subaru41. That is good to know. You should check out this article.
http://www.tomsguide.com/us/iPhone-4S-sales-Record-Availability-Worldwide-Launch,news-12891.html#BOM_comments
He keeps going on and on. I have never seen someone so upset, crying, and ranting like him before.

happyballz

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2011
[citation][nom]watcha[/nom]Sorry, I meant to type iPhone 4S*.Here's a comparison of the 540 (found in the Prime) and the 543 (found in the iPhone 4S) http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/03 [...] faster-be/Dare I say it - but 'where's the innovation'?[/citation]
Yeah Mali 400mp is "significantly" slower fo sho...NOT
http://www.glbenchmark.com/compare.jsp?benchmark=glpro21&showhide=true&certified_only=1&D1=Apple%20iPhone%204S&D2=Samsung%20GT-i9100%20Galaxy%20S2&D3=Samsung%20GT-I9000%20Galaxy%20S&D4=Apple%20iPhone%204

Link specifically for watcha: Watcha

[citation][nom]dynamoair[/nom]Thank you Subaru41. That is good to know. You should check out this article.http://www.tomsguide.com/us/iPhone [...] M_comments He keeps going on and on. I have never seen someone so upset, crying, and ranting like him before.[/citation]

He must be working for Troll Patrol divsion of Apple Marketing.
I got galaxy S, SII, ip4 and I honestly I always wonder how he can become such a brand zombie...baffling to me.
Back on topic: 3+ year old GPU in Galaxy Nexus is sad news. Like I said in earlier thread Glaxy S II HD LTE seems like a possibly better option if you want a big screen (even though its probably going to be pentile screen :\).
I do not know what it is with google and liking to not use top notch hardware in their flagships ( could be samsungs pressure because of SGSII I guess). Hopefully since google will buy motorola they will make their phones boot ROM-flashable and unloacked unlike the current motorola offerings and then put best hardware available... one can only hope.

thejerk

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
[citation][nom]watcha[/nom]The best minds I know who are heavily ingrained high up within the technology industry and are most definitely 'power' users all prefer iPhones. [/citation]
[citation][nom]Leuman[/nom]

implying you know anyone within the technology industry.

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
[citation][nom]watcha[/nom]This is absolute nonsense. It's this exact idiocy of thinking that Androids are for 'power users' that is the ignorance I detest, and the same mistake which drives a lot of people to irrationally disregard Apple phones. The best minds I know who are heavily ingrained high up within the technology industry and are most definitely 'power' users all prefer iPhones. Don't confuse the intuitive interface with a simple phone.[/citation]
So you are calling yourself an idiot? From the way you "argued" your own point, I am left with the impression that you are.

masterasia

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
Ice Cream Sandwich is cool, but the more I read and hear about the Galaxy Nexus, the more disappointed I am in Google and Samsung launching such a crappy phone. It's basically a Nexus S that is LTE enabled. But it's not enough to make me switch to an iPhone.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]mobrocket[/nom]only negative is no Micro SD card slot... spec wise it is far superior to the Iphone 4s[/citation]
It depends on what you mean by faster If it's a task that doesn't have 3d rendering of any kind perhaps it will have the advantage due to a faster CPU. However if it's a 3D application it will be significantly slower because PowerVR SGX540 is no match for the SGX543MP2. Perhaps when Samsung decides to release the Galaxy S II LTE HD, Android will have a phone that beats the 4S.

halcyon

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2004
[citation][nom]soo-nah-mee[/nom]BTW, the Apple vs. Android flamewar is really getting old. They both have their purposes.iPhones are more for casual users as they are uber-user-friendly and simple.Android devices are more for power users they like to tinker.WP7 phones are similar to iPhones in their ease of use, but offer it up in a different flavor.To each their own.[/citation]

How dare you be reasonable and make sense!

...this will not be tolerated. Especially here.

The plethora of Android phones are ALL superior to the iPhone...because they're not made by Apple. How long have you been on THG's forums? You should know this. /sarcasm

serendipiti

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010
Well, I don't own any smartphone at all. I will have to get one someday, after all (albeit just to try to install linux on it...). Memory Card support would make a difference, true. But, I get the impression that this is mainly (don't bother me with specs: I mean from the user standpoint) what Apple already had on its iPhone 4... Apple seems to be an step ahead (and now its showing Siri). Apple makes good products and its marketing can stablish trends. Anyway, probably I will go for an Android (Linux spirit) phone (not in the near future, I admit it) unless iPhone can offer me something determinant (Siri?). Getting into another stupid war (intel-AMD, AMD-NVidia...) is just useless. Both products are impressive: just show them to your grandparents and ask them if they dreamed of it... With less computer horsepower, man landed the moon.

Status
Not open for further replies.