Google and Samsung Unveil the Galaxy Nexus

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]soo-nah-mee[/nom]I'm not sure which is worse: The 50 line ads for $40 Jordans or Watcha's barage of desperation.[/citation]

Yeah, it's 'desperate' because it proves people wrong. Shockingly they don't like that. Obviously you felt the need to help out, that says it all.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]watcha[/nom]Yeah, it's 'desperate' because it proves people wrong. Shockingly they don't like that. Obviously you felt the need to help out, that says it all.[/citation]
16 down
14 to go

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]17, keep pushingDon't stop at 29 just to spite us...[/citation]

'Insert random number here'

'Insert random spam here'

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]watcha[/nom]'Insert random number here''Insert random spam here'[/citation]
Vting yourself up with multiple accounts and thumbing down others the same, very mature, I have possible never met anyone so insecure.

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]Vting yourself up with multiple accounts and thumbing down others the same, very mature, I have possible never met anyone so insecure.[/citation]

Oh purlease, as if I'd be that tragic. I naturally vote your posts down, but I don't see how that makes me any different from the next man. If someone is doing that then it's someone who also thinks you're a moron, lol.

I think you should continue with your excellent strategy of criticising spam by..... spamming more, that will really prove a point..

ROFL.

subaru41

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2006
[citation][nom]halcyon[/nom]Wow, are we in high school?[/citation]

Nope, I was going more for middle school, 12 year old range. duh! I wanted to be at level that iPhone users could understand me.

Goldengoose

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2011
[citation][nom]watcha[/nom]You should also stop 'confusing yourself' by mistaking a factual claim about CPU/GPU performance to be the overall phone performance.[/citation]

Thats correct however from what i've seen from you, you've used the fact the GPU is quicker in the Iphone as your main argument point throughout this flame war. The reason i said to wait until the the nexus actually gets released before throwing your 'facts' about is because the iphone 4s has half the RAM of the new nexus (512 vs 1024). It would be interesting if, regardless of the more powerful GPU, whether Apple has a bottle neck situation on the go and is restricting the entire phones performance.

And it is quite sad you have to have multiple accounts to downgrade counter arguments and upgrade your own comments. Pretty obvious considering only a few people will really read this far into the comments and have lost the will to vote back on page 1.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]watcha[/nom]Oh purlease, as if I'd be that tragic. I naturally vote your posts down, but I don't see how that makes me any different from the next man. If someone is doing that then it's someone who also thinks you're a moron, lol.I think you should continue with your excellent strategy of criticising spam by..... spamming more, that will really prove a point..ROFL.[/citation]
Cmon matey, at least try to get to 20, are you having a slow day?

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]Goldengoose[/nom]Thats correct however from what i've seen from you, you've used the fact the GPU is quicker in the Iphone as your main argument point throughout this flame war. The reason i said to wait until the the nexus actually gets released before throwing your 'facts' about is because the iphone 4s has half the RAM of the new nexus (512 vs 1024). It would be interesting if, regardless of the more powerful GPU, whether Apple has a bottle neck situation on the go and is restricting the entire phones performance. And it is quite sad you have to have multiple accounts to downgrade counter arguments and upgrade your own comments. Pretty obvious considering only a few people will really read this far into the comments and have lost the will to vote back on page 1.[/citation]

The fact that the GPU is SO much quicker IS the reason I say that the CPU/GPU combination is faster. Hardware which runs Android tends to use more RAM wheras as Anandtech alluded to in one of their reviews - the iPhone OS is less sensitive to RAM (I think it was by comparing iPad and iPhone performance - either way). A lot of other Android units have had similar processor speeds, and the same RAM, and faster GPU's, and not competed at all performance wise overall, the limiting factor is never the RAM because iOS handles multi-tasking so much more efficiently. The Nexus Prime has SUCH an old GPU, with such a massive gap, the CPU it had would have to be monumentally faster than any other CPU ever found on a phone. And it isn't, it's just a 1.2ghz processor (dual core Cortex A9) - which is very underwhelming given people had expected (or hoped) for the 1.5 ghz Exynos (which would have potentially made it interesting). The same architecture running at 1.2ghz in other Android handsets has been slower than the iPad A5 running at 1ghz - so it stands to reason that given an estimated underclock of 20% or so on the A5 running in the iPhone 4S, and given that the differential between the GPU's is significantly more than 20%, the overall combination wont be as fast.

Sources - General acceptance that Nexus is slower amongst tech world:
http://www.extremetech.com/computing/100457-samsung-galaxy-nexus-prime-revealed-slower-than-the-iphone-4s-galaxy-s-ii
http://techie-buzz.com/featured/samsung-galaxy-nexus-vs-apple-iphone-4s.html

Sources - A5 vs 1.2 ghz Android
http://images.anandtech.com/graphs/graph4951/41655.png (please compare to Samsung Galaxy S2 which runs at 1.2 ghz)
http://images.anandtech.com/graphs/graph4951/41619.png

Sources - GPU
http://images.anandtech.com/graphs/graph4951/41612.png
http://images.anandtech.com/graphs/graph4951/41613.png

And the GPU also has to power a HD display - meaning it has even tougher requirements.

Regarding multiple accounts, I already told you I haven't done anything of the kind. At least you are actually keeping your comments relevant to the original discussion. More than some people managed ;-)

halcyon

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2004
If iPhone supporters are waiting for the Android supporters to say that the iPhone is superior you're wasting your keystrokes. ....and vice versa. Why can't folks live with the idea that both platforms are great, why does one platform have to be better in your minds...to justify what you chose to spend your money on and recommend? Is that it? Just because you don't personally like a platform doesn't mean that a competing platform has to be somehow flawed.

Comments like, "You have to be a computer scientist to use Android" or "The iPhone is for less tech savvy people" are completely ridiculous. They're just phones (okay, handheld personal computers). Its as ridiculous as the argument that Mac is better than PC or PC is better than Mac.

You can prefer a platform because you like its features or it fits your needs but that doesn't make it better than another platform for everyone else. I don't see why folks in this forum have such a hard time understanding that. It seems so self-evident.

soo-nah-mee

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
[citation][nom]halcyon[/nom]If iPhone supporters are waiting for the Android supporters to say that the iPhone is superior you're wasting your blah blah blah blah blah........[/citation]Dude, what the fuck are you talking about??? Idealistic, logical thoughts like that simply are not tolerated here. You must pick a side and stick to it. STOP MAKING SENSE!!!

Seriously though, it's kind of like a Ford fan arguing with a Chevy fan. I find it entertaining really.
Even more fun is to pick one side one day and switch to the other side the next day. Go back and forth like! :D
Ah, good times.

halcyon

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2004
[citation][nom]soo-nah-mee[/nom]Dude, what the fuck are you talking about??? Idealistic, logical thoughts like that simply are not tolerated here. You must pick a side and stick to it. STOP MAKING SENSE!!!Seriously though, it's kind of like a Ford fan arguing with a Chevy fan. I find it entertaining really.Even more fun is to pick one side one day and switch to the other side the next day. Go back and forth like! Ah, good times.[/citation]

Sorry about that, I don't know what comes over me.

Zuesacoatl

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2008
All I know is this:

By the end of 2011, more people will have left their Android Phone for the iPhone than will leave the iPhone for an Android phone.

Dispute it all you want, but in this business, that means A LOT.

HAHAHAHAHAHAH.....
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH....

I love how people come on here and spew rhetoric on things they have no clue or knowledge about. Just on a personal knowledge here in my workplace, 4 people have dumped the Iphone for a bigger, more advanced android, and not a one has dropped an android phone for an Iphone yet. We did lose one to windows, but that is a phone you could lose to with know issues.

just because you like a product, and maybe switched from android to apple yourself, does not mean the masses will follow. There are three different styles of smart phones out there:

Beginner, or easy to use locked up phone, or the iphone

intermediate, information in your face, synced with the worlds most available desktop system- Windows phone7 phones

Advanced, or, the easiest to root and do with what you please(minus moto phones) multiple app vendors, and the largest selection of hardware for any smartphone, or better known as the Android platform.

All three platforms have a plethora of +s and -s to them, and a user is going to buy the one that either best suites them, or one that someone else pressures them into buying cause they believe it is the best phone on the market. If a buddy of mine is asking me, I will offer one of three per situation, if they are technoobs, or just want a phone that works that they can not play with in advanced ways, i tell them to get an iphone. if they are rather anal, and like things to be right there for them when they want them, the metro setup of winp7 is great for those, and for the techies, well, it comes down to the specs and operations of Android devices.

The biggest thing that Apple can claim with its iphone now is the number of apps it has, but even that is not a boost because the approval process only allows you to get apps they approve, same on winp7 apps, with android, if something does not make it into the andmark, than you hit the other two app providers. sure it is a risk, but hell, i risk my comp everyday on the net, take precautions, research the app, and if it messes your phone up, reset to factory, if it is bricked, well, i hope you are smart enough on any smart phone to buy extra coverage for your phone.

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]Zuesacoatl[/nom]HAHAHAHAHAHAH.....HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH....I love how people come on here and spew rhetoric on things they have no clue or knowledge about. Just on a personal knowledge here in my workplace, 4 people have dumped the Iphone for a bigger, more advanced android....[/citation]

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-19736_7-20110693-251/survey-31-percent-of-android-users-eyeing-switch-to-iphone/
http://www.extremetech.com/computing/99379-iphone-4s-benchmarks-twice-as-fast-as-the-galaxy-s-ii-droid-bionic

I agree that every phone has positive and negative, but I don't think you can describe the iPhone as for 'tech noobs', or that Android are for 'techies'.

http://blog.navigationarts.com/user-demographics-for-iphone-and-android/

Quote:
'Android users tend to be slightly younger than their iPhone peers.
Since age is a prime determinant of income and education, Android users tend to be slightly less wealthy and less educated.
OS loyalty: 80% of iPhone users want their next device to run iPhone OS while 70% of Android another Android device.
OS conversion: The rate at which Android users would like to try iPhone is twice as high as that of iPhone users who would try Android. However, given that iPhone penetration is higher than that of Android at the moment, more iPhone users are willing to try Android.'

Status
Not open for further replies.