Google Announces Death of Google Wave

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
It had some promise for collaborative development between remote teams and was used for some RPGs but for the general public it was sort-of redundant with social media sites like Facebook. To be useful all the participants needed Google accounts and a lot of people didn't want to bother.

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
There was a humor site that posed questions: "Which is easier to understand, [X] or Google Wave?"

Some of the choices were: differential calculus, combinatorial game theory, your own existence, etc...

But what I'm trying to say is. Google Wave was probably too difficult to use.

G

google was targeting the wrong crowd with wave, had they made a sell to the business crowd this would have some serious clout, people in product development dream for the kind of functionality google wave had and in fact pay large sums of money for products that didn't even come close

google should have rolled it out to the business world first then figure out a consumer orientated use for it...

G

Lol I remember when this was dubbed as the "Outlook killer"

Guess that never happened.

mavanhel

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2009
It would've worked a lot better if they could've integrated Gmail into Wave. If people could use regular email with Wave there would be a much smoother transition.

DawnTreader

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2009
the problem was i couldnt find how to get back to my wave(s) and use them some more. it was like once i used it and left i lost it. kinda dumb to drop it so quick, it worked really well and had a lot of features that were really cool. if i could go to my main google page and see a link for my waves... i would have kept using it.

Tamz_msc

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
The reason behind this is the fact that Wave was never really popularized to the extent of its capabilities and features.

G

We did some research on why Google Wave failed. It shows that most people thought Wave had a lot of potential as a product, but was let down by the invitation only launch, usability issues and a lack of marketing by Google
http://bit.ly/bOVuJI

Ransom22

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2009
I really like Wave. I used it as much as possible. The problem I saw with it was that it wasn't a big enough difference from email or IMs that already existed. I can't wait to see them roll Wave tech into other apps.

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
Google's marketing team is like AMD's.....completely non-existant.

If they want something to succeed....they need to actually promote it. Until now, I'd never even heard of Google Wave. Now, after reading this article...I've heard of it. But, exactly WTF is it and WTF is it used for?

xerroz

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010
knew it was a big flop from the start...google should stick to search, that's all they good for. and they should enjoy it, in a few decades theyll be long gone

Status
Not open for further replies.