Google CEO: YouTube is Still Losing Money

Status
Not open for further replies.

eyefinity

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
How about this Google?

You continue to provide youtube, losing money, and we'll keep using your search, making money.

You want to advertise/screw us out of youtube so it's unwatchable, you can be sure your search won't be that far behind.

How about you give us something back, just for a change. That would make you the only one doing it. Worth it? You can decide.

cronik93

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2010
I bet if they stopped trying to make it look fancy and adding useless crap 110% of the time they would be doing a lot better.

mikem_90

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
I don't see anywhere that they want to cripple youtube to make it more profit centric. That doesn't seem to be their style.

Youtube is enormous, it gets them a LOT of notice, a lot of numbers. But if it becomes too much of a burdeon, they'll likely sell or slowly phase it out.

Just like any other business.

As nice as some folks like using Youtube, its not a charity. They sustain it via other divisions. They have no responsibility to keep losing money if they don't want to.

[citation][nom]eyefinity[/nom]How about this Google?You continue to provide youtube, losing money, and we'll keep using your search, making money.You want to advertise/screw us out of youtube so it's unwatchable, you can be sure your search won't be that far behind.How about you give us something back, just for a change. That would make you the only one doing it. Worth it? You can decide.[/citation]

You are getting something. Youtube use for free. Free easy search. Google Mail for free. Google Earth for Free. Google maps. etc...

You technically don't have to spend a penny. Seems like you're already getting quite a good deal here.

Aionism

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
Fire the idiot(s) in charge of changing the layout and video player design every 2 weeks. Everyone will be happier and YouTube will cost a bit less to run.

nforce4max

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
I agree with ridding of the fail employees who only continue to screw youtube up more than it is. I spent two years of my life crafting and building my channel only to have it killed by false copyright claims. Their appeals process sucks @$$ and all my claims were denied -_- so much for fair use. I miss the old youtube that was a true form of free human expression that any one can post great songs and vids but nope we all must be slaves. I am tired of my favorite music videos being either blocked or pulled. -_-

duckmanx88

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2008
the new layout has stopped me from going there all together. if you're looking for something specific its great. trying to find new music or a new funny video is too hard. the top 50 page is ruined and its filled with the same 5 people with 10 channels spamming videos everyday

eyefinity

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
[citation][nom]mikem_90[/nom]Youtube use for free. Free easy search. Google Mail for free. Google Earth for Free. Google maps. etc...You technically don't have to spend a penny. Seems like you're already getting quite a good deal here.[/citation]

You really don't understand how any of this works do you?

Azimuth01

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2009
I suspect that you tube is currently being used as a tax write off. By showing a loss somewhere, they are actually making money hand over fist. How much money the site really generates is irrelevant. Assets and debt can be transfered to whatever subsidiary will benefit the parent company the most.

G

If Google ever got rid of Youtube I'd switch to Bing. As much as I hate to say this, it's true.

wribbs

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2010
Well maybe I'm being a tool but I'd just like to say thank you to Google for everything they do for me and everyone else. Granted Youtube and many other Google services are not perfect but I certainly appreciate them. I know I sure wouldn't be paying to host thousands of videos of idiots who would be outraged if they had to pay anything at all to host this crap themselves.

Here's to you Google, may you outlast your competitors and not sway to far into the dark side of capitalism.

G

It has million of visitors daily and the only necessary overhead is bandwidth, server upkeep a few employees... what am i missing? The Google accounting dept must be pretty creative to keep the books in red for this venture.

JeanLuc

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2002
Youtube you introduce premium content like exclusive boxing matches, films premiers, sporting events etc for which people would have to pay to see or take up a subscription.

eyefinity

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
[citation][nom]chrisjust98[/nom]lol? Do you?[/citation]

Yes I really do. How do you think Google makes money if they are giving all this away "free"? The tooth fairy?

Silmarunya

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
[citation][nom]nforce4max[/nom]I agree with ridding of the fail employees who only continue to screw youtube up more than it is. I spent two years of my life crafting and building my channel only to have it killed by false copyright claims. Their appeals process sucks @$$ and all my claims were denied -_- so much for fair use. I miss the old youtube that was a true form of free human expression that any one can post great songs and vids but nope we all must be slaves. I am tired of my favorite music videos being either blocked or pulled. -_-[/citation]

Posting copyrighted material is illegal, so why blame youtube for removing it? Anyone can post material they make themselves, but they can't post someone else's material. What's unfair about that?

Status
Not open for further replies.