Google Chimes in to EU vs. Microsoft Fight

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
this is freaking retarded !!!!!

"you have a monolpoly of soemthing that is free... LAWSUIT !!!!"

1. lets define a monopoly

this is the definition according to www.dictionary.com a site often refered to in oline and on campus colleges.

"Exclusive control by one group of the means of producing or selling a commodity or service: "Monopoly frequently ... arises from government support or from collusive agreements among individuals" (Milton Friedman).
Law A right granted by a government giving exclusive control over a specified commercial activity to a single party.

A company or group having exclusive control over a commercial activity.
A commodity or service so controlled.
Exclusive possession or control: arrogantly claims to have a monopoly on the truth.
Something that is exclusively possessed or controlled: showed that scientific achievement is not a male monopoly.

Exclusive possession or control: arrogantly claims to have a monopoly on the truth.
Something that is exclusively possessed or controlled: showed that scientific achievement is not a male monopoly."

given this definition MS is NOT a monopoly ,

1. they don't make the only OS
2. they don't make the only internet browser
3. internet browsers ARE NOT a paid for service or item

also of note the windows operating system does not even prevent you from installing and using other internet browsers.

any juge that rules agaisnt microsoft would be atotal idiot , granted i'm nto always on MS's side but in this case these companies needs to take a hike and quit trying to force MS to pay for ther advertising via law suits. they should start advertising with thier money and show peopel WHY thier itnernet browser is better , instead of whinning foul at MS for making their OS more functional.

afrobacon

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2008
windows products bundled with a windows product; don't see anything wrong with that. Sure IE is one of the worst browsers you can use, but being the crapware that it is, its allowing room for firefox, opera, and others to move in.

there needs to be a decent OS to rival M$, I'm still hoping for a google one; even though their ads are becoming more and more intrusive.

ira176

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2006
It is totally absurd to expect that Microsoft would bundle another companies browser software on it's OS. The other options are out there, and can be downloaded and used in place of IE. I'm not really sure why Google would have stuffed their noses where they don't belong. I could see this ruling by the EU if it goes the way Google hopes, could eventually backfire, and any future OS that Google puts out, would have to include other companies web browser like IE or Mozilla.

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
"Let's be honest: companies such as Google, Opera, Apple and so forth have good reason to complain about Microsoft's dominance in the browser market. After all, the Windows operating system occupies most of the world, bringing along its built-in flashy sidekick, Internet Explorer. How can third-party companies have any kind of footing" Simple answer, build their own OS that ocupies most of the world, not knocking at MS door that they want to make $$. This coming from Google ... well seems corporate greed to other has no boundries ... humans ...

G

A couple points of interest:

If Microsoft bundled other browsers with Windows, they would either have to VERY clearly notify users that Microsoft isn't responsible for any updates, security risks, incompatibilities, crashes, etc that may arise by using the browser, or they would have to provide support for a competitor's product themselves. They obviously aren't going to do the second option, and the first would cause lawsuits that they were biasing people's selection.

If they don't include IE, it will frankly be a nightmare for end users with no computer knowledge to deal with. Most people want a computer 100% ready to use when they buy one. I suppose they could give out free cd's with it or something that oems and retail outlets could choose to give out whenever someone bought an OS.

Regardless, I can see these issues getting out of hand very quickly. Under the same logic, what is to stop someone from claiming that no computer manufacturer is allowed to install an OS on the computer, or that every manufacturer must offer every computer configuration with every OS as a choice. That would cause hardware manufacturers problems, because only manufacturers who's hardware worked perfectly on EVERY OS could be chosen to have their parts in the computers, and that would likely include the need for hardware manufacturers to include drivers and software that worked on every OS as well. It would potentially CREATE monopolies rather than resolve any.

As far as I'm concerned, they should be able to include anything they want in their OS as long as it can be completely removed if desired, and as long as competitors have reasonable ability to create rival products that will not be gimped by running on Windows.

mitch074

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
If Ubuntu didn't bundle Firefox...
They'd create a big 'E' icon on the desktop, which by clicking would give you a menu with a choice of Firefox, SeaMonkey, Chromium (whenever it's ready), Epiphany (GNOME's default), Konqueror (KDE's integrated browser), or Lynx (text mode browser) to download and set up as your main browser. In another section, you'd have Opera and IEs4Lin, as 'proprietary'.

What technical hurdle prevents MS to do the same? After all, they used to do just that with AOL, Compuserve et al. in Windows 95...

T-Bone

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2004
Complete & utter bs. How do free products compete w/paid for stuff? I use Chrome, used to use FireFox & ie. Chrome works great, rarely ever crashes, & is quick; ie is slow & bloated. That said, I think that windows should have an uninstall feature for ie & media player...or at least give the illusion that it's uninstalled. This would allow integral things like windows explorer & windows update to continue to work . If you wanted to play a media file but had no player then

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
[citation][nom]T-Bone[/nom]Complete & utter bs. How do free products compete w/paid for stuff? I use Chrome, used to use FireFox & ie. Chrome works great, rarely ever crashes, & is quick; ie is slow & bloated. That said, I think that windows should have an uninstall feature for ie & media player...or at least give the illusion that it's uninstalled. This would allow integral things like windows explorer & windows update to continue to work . If you wanted to play a media file but had no player then[/citation]
so even thow IE and Media player are integrated many ppl use third party programs like FF / opera/ chrome / winamp etc .. so why bother to sue MS for the integration of those in their own OS ? they put waht they want inside you don`t come to them and tell them don`t put that... it is plain stupid.

ossie

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2008
[citation]... would you feel that an OS like Ubuntu Desktop should remove Firefox as well?[/citation]
Ubuntu is not a OS, it's a linux distribution, which includes the Linux/GNU kernel/system apps which form the OS part and a lot of other applications, including browsers - the default one is FF, along many others.

[citation][nom]hellscook[/nom]Don't tell me HP, Dell, Gateway, etc can't include a 20 meg browser in their image.[/citation]
Simply because they are not allowed by m$'s "Lu$er OOB experience" licensing terms.

[citation][nom]Trac3r[/nom]Without IE preinstalled, how would I download Firefox?[/citation]
Because as a m$ windblow$ lu$er you never heard about ftp - yes it was/is included as a system command even on that crap "OS" - of course you don't know. For those incapable of using a command line app, a small script could be provided, with a nice link on the desktop, to click.

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
[citation][nom]ossie[/nom][citation]... would you feel that an OS like Ubuntu Desktop should remove Firefox as well?[/citation]Ubuntu is not a OS, it's a linux distribution, which includes the Linux/GNU kernel/system apps which form the OS part and a lot of other applications, including browsers - the default one is FF, along many others.Simply because they are not allowed by m$'s "Lu$er OOB experience" licensing terms.Because as a m$ windblow$ lu$er you never heard about ftp - yes it was/is included as a system command even on that crap "OS" - of course you don't know. For those incapable of using a command line app, a small script could be provided, with a nice link on the desktop, to click.[/citation]
then stick to your command lines in Linux and don`t use Windows. Simple as that you have a choice not to use Windows, why do you see it`s ok for othe people to make money from others ? D

T-Bone

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2004
If you wanted to play a media file but had no player then it can prompt you to install or reinstall windows media player AND tell you that there are other options on the internet; if you click on the "internet icon" then it can do the same for ie. It would be silly for ms to bundle competitor software w/windows BUT vendors should be allowed to bundle competitor software w/their windows machines.

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
[citation][nom]T-Bone[/nom]If you wanted to play a media file but had no player then it can prompt you to install or reinstall windows media player AND tell you that there are other options on the internet; if you click on the "internet icon" then it can do the same for ie. It would be silly for ms to bundle competitor software w/windows BUT vendors should be allowed to bundle competitor software w/their windows machines.[/citation]
Vendors Yes, but forcing MS to include competitors in their own software is plain stupid. Why don`t they attack Apple with this ? because there`s not much $$ that can come out of it but here uuuu $$$$$$ politics(and religion) kills this civilisation ...

T-Bone

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2004
[citation][nom]ossie[/nom]...For those incapable of using a command line app, a small script could be provided, with a nice link on the desktop, to click.[/citation]
And what would that script do? Point to a page with all the latest competition for ie or media player? Who maintains that page, ms? For someone who thinks he's so smart, you are such a big idiot!

bin1127

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008
I think the innovative argument is worthless. If IE sucks, then you make one that's better and people will use that. That's the innovation part of it. Not having IE with windows changes nothing if your company is no more creative than asphalt.

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
Later we will see that some asshole will want Windows Explorer to be removed because there is Total Commander or w/e file manager better out there. IE / MP are a part of windows OS and they belong there. It is their product. If google / EU or w/e doesn`t like it it is their problem and they have no rights to tell MS what to do with their OS to help them make $

spiralsun1

Distinguished
May 26, 2006
Google is the real monster -- they are the search engine octopus of people with a very real, anti-majority political agenda. It was started by 2 Jews and the Jews hate that microsoft controls so much.

Why is this scary? See Dr.s Walt and Mearsheimers (Harvard and University of Chicago) "The Israel Lobby and U.S. Foreign Policy" and probably the most life-changing book I ever read: Dr. Kevin MacDonald's "The Culture of Critique: An Evolutionary Analysis of Jewish Involvement in Twentieth-Century Intellectual and Political Movements" (paperback). THIS IS REAL, and this is truly scary -- way beyond economic "unfairness".

AndrewMD

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2008
Vendors have the flexibility to include any additional applications on their desktops they want. The problem is too many people also complain that there is too much bloatware installed on these computers.

Should Microsoft be forced to include third party browsers with their OS? - No

Should Vendors provide you a screen with applications you can install and setup once you get your computer? - Yes

The answer to the second question is critical, so it doesn't provoke a "Bloatware" problem.

The answer to the first question is critical because when and where does this stop. Would Microsoft have to bundle Wordperfect and OpenOffice into the OFFICE 200x CD/DVD because consumer did know there were other choices then MS Office to use for word processing, etc?

Should Microsoft be forced to bundle Oracle with their SQL Server CD/DVD Media because DBA don't know there are choices for Database softwares?

Should Microsoft be force to bundle a Logitech Mouse with their Microsoft Mouse because consumers didn't know there are other mouse manufactures available?

I could go on and on... As for people who want to say Ubuntu or RedHat or Suse Linux are distros that's fine, So Windows Vista Ultimate edition is a Distro too. Linux is an OS no matter what you call it. It should be forced to unbundle any software during the installation and install just a core.

G

yeah...why dont we start taking every application out of windows. this way users can spend weeks downloading all the sh*t they need. what a pain in the a@s. This is retarded. And yes, how the hell will you download anything without a browser.

p05esto

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
Leave MS alone already. If I was MS I'd say FU world for always giving us such a hard time and just close shop. Revoke all software licenses, delete the Windows code base and be done with it. That their millions of patents or whatever and sell them as needed for some coin.

Status
Not open for further replies.