Google Chimes in to EU vs. Microsoft Fight

Status
Not open for further replies.

hellscook

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2008
This is getting ludicrous. Of course Google is complaining, chrome sucks and they're mortal enemies of MS. Why is a free component such a huge deal? Last time I checked, I don't have to buy a free browser, I use it based on it's merit. MS being a monopoly is a cop-out to sue MS for more money. If some other OS vendor would step up to the damn plate with a worthwhile easy to use OS, this wouldn't be a problem. The fact is that the only other OS that fits into this category is OS X and that isn't going to be unbundled anytime soon. Why aren't manufacturers being held accountable? Every new computer I've seen comes bundled with a hundred useless, redundant apps, but no alternative browsers. Don't tell me HP, Dell, Gateway, etc can't include a 20 meg browser in their image. This is abuse of power, plain and simple on the EU's part.

jarnail24

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2008
[citation][nom]hellscook[/nom]This is getting ludicrous. Of course Google is complaining, chrome sucks and they're mortal enemies of MS. Why is a free component such a huge deal? Last time I checked, I don't have to buy a free browser, I use it based on it's merit. MS being a monopoly is a cop-out to sue MS for more money. If some other OS vendor would step up to the damn plate with a worthwhile easy to use OS, this wouldn't be a problem. The fact is that the only other OS that fits into this category is OS X and that isn't going to be unbundled anytime soon. Why aren't manufacturers being held accountable? Every new computer I've seen comes bundled with a hundred useless, redundant apps, but no alternative browsers. Don't tell me HP, Dell, Gateway, etc can't include a 20 meg browser in their image. This is abuse of power, plain and simple on the EU's part.[/citation]

Wow there was probably no way I could have said it better. Good Job

fuser

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
"Windows operating system occupies most of the world"

I can tell that you were typing this article so quickly that you forgot to proofread, or think ...

deltatux

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2008
Google Chrome is a great browser. However, to remove a browser from the operating system is a lil' stupid. As the article pointed out, how the hell will you be able to download another browser without a browser. Heck, if this happens wouldn't Apple, KDE and GNOME have to stop bundling browsers too?

It just doesn't make sense...

fwaits

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2008
You would have to use FTP within a command prompt probably which is doable, but most people don't know how to do it so they would have to be shown how, and obtain the proper FTP addresses of said browsers.

dmuir

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2006
@hellscook:

I don't agree that Chrome sucks, but that's besides the point.
If Microsoft has it as one of their conditions that no competing software be included on machines installed with Windows, then this is antitrust behavior. So it's not really that ludicrous.
Removing IE from Windows would actually be a fantastic move.
1. It would keep morons off the internet.
2. It would mean that IE usage will drop (which is what every web developer wants)

The tricky part is figuring out how to get a browser when you don't have one. You gave one solution: bundle it with new PC's. Browser developers need to push manufacturers to let them bundle their browsers with new PC's. The other is via Window's install process.

I also see no reason for Microsoft to remove Trident from Windows, so apps that rely on IE's html renderer could continue to work without any problems.

That said, I don't see anything wrong with bundling IE with Windows per-se, even though that was done as a monopolistic move to push out Netscape. Back in the 90's I'd consider it anti-trust, but not today. Now, every OS comes bundled with a browser, so it's not really fair to say that everyone except Microsoft is allowed to bundle a browser. I still want IE (especially 6 and 7) to die quick deaths, and if it's done unfairly, so be it. It would give them a taste of their own medicine, and all the peoples of the earth will rejoice....

Humans think

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2009
In Ubuntu for example and other debian based Linuxes you can enter a command like "sudo apt-get install firefox", or simply find it through the package manager. Since Windows is also for noobs (noob userbase is greater than 90% from my experience), this could only cause trouble.

A first move could be to really have the option to uninstall Internet Explorer after you have installed another browser (like in Mac OS X, you can do this with Safari) without causing problems to windows update and other dependencies, in Win XP if i try to uninstall it just deletes the shortcuts. If I want Internet Explorer out I should be able to do it. This is the best solution.

Giving an option to get the kind of software you like in the installation process like choosing your media players (ticking them): 1) Windows Media Player 2) CCCP with media player classic with/or zoom player 3) VLC 4) Movist and so on. The same would apply to Internet Browsers and other programms. Some of them would have to be downloaded which creates other problems like which software comes bundled, which software is Microsoft approved to be in the list and so on. What happens next with the preinstalled machines that come with lots of crap and their respective manufacturers choises (My last laptop PC was a Sony Vaio and I went through a clean install of Windows XP after I downloaded only the necessary drivers to get rid of the mess).

The last option is IMHO a utopia not applicable to real life, I would be satisfied with just the first option. Keep it simple keep it clean

G

Although I may be repeating remarks above....Um how is something that you supply free considered as a market?

Claimintru

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
The reason the EU is so after Microsoft is not because of browser bundling, but because the browser is a requirement for windows updates and the browser itself is part of the Windows OS.

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
You know, this must might convince me to switch from using Firefox and Google search to IE8 and Live Search. This is really starting to piss me off.

[citation][nom]Claimintru[/nom]The reason the EU is so after Microsoft is not because of browser bundling, but because the browser is a requirement for windows updates and the browser itself is part of the Windows OS.[/citation]

Ever heard of Vista Update? You don't need IE for that. They've proved it themselves.

gimarbazat

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2009
google should take care of their browsing and add business not of microsoft and internet explorer.

"browser market is still largely uncompetitive (despite Firefox's huge adoption rate), thus making it hard for other companies to be innovative"

i dont care of google being inovative or making money.. just wanna use my IE to browes the web

gimarbazat

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2009
I also dont give a sh.t on live search from microsoft and I use google.
Google = search engine
Microsoft = OS, Internet browser etc

mikecs

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2009
If your browser is better or offers something the other doesn't have guess what people will use it. If IE does everything people need it to do guess what? They are going to use it. If Mozzila or Chrome actually were these outstandingly better products consumers would flock to them for a better internet experience. In general a browser is a browser to me. Even if I personally do use Mozzila for most of my browsing at home its not like I want to rip my eyes out and walk away from a computer if all it has is IE. Google and Mozzila need to stop wasting time and money on b1tches and complaints and use that energy to develop an internet browser that actually improves upon the current standard. Is it so much to ask 3rd party companies to be innovative to bring consumers to thier products?

jsloan

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
microsoft is f**ked. eu is going to force microsoft to include google chrome browser with windows, ah cr*p! the first scroll has been opened, the apocalypse is near. their is no hope, the world is doomed.

G

With regards to everyone wondering how would we download a browser...one option that is suggested is that windows installation asks you which browser do you want, and then installs it.
Again, the problem with that is that sooner or later there will be way too many browsers on the market to be able to do that.
In any case, I'm sure they can come up with a way...
I entirely agree that this is necessary and that it would really stimulate the browser market and innovation.

davewbrown

Distinguished
May 4, 2008
So the U.S. government and the European Commission are saying most people are to stupid to browse the web or talk to friends to find out that there just might be an alternative to IE and maybe even Windows? So then why is IE losing market share?

I guess companies like Google, Mozilla, Apple and any one else want what's best for the user. It's not about power! It's not about marketing! It's not about making money! It's about... uh... about... um... ah...

I heard GM is in financial trouble because they were forced to offer Ford cup holders as an option.

Usain Bolt is also being forced to wear a 50 pound weight when he runs.

Status
Not open for further replies.