Google Chrome causing you 100 Disk Usage? This may be a fix for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SexyBigMaMa

Estimable
Jun 20, 2015
1
0
4,510
0
Oi mates,
anyways i have come on across this issue for lots of weeks. at first i thought it was windows 8.1/8 that is causing the problem and then i thought it was my computer that was infected or something and then i just got enough of it and i started searching on google for what to do. Lots of fixes helped reduce the problem "but" there was always that LAG SPIKE that would bring my hard disk to work all the way up, Basically go to:

EXIT CHROME BEFORE YOU DO SO.

"C:\Users\YOURNAME\AppData\Local"

Find the folder called Google
Right click it and click properties and then just do this:

http://i.gyazo.com/a6f3742d4c1538f5e3bd632d9db05752.png

and this:

http://i.gyazo.com/7cba2ce80cf8ff4f063352d2c7938576.png

And after press Ok wait for the thingy to be done and ok again and wait again
and hopefully this worked for you cause it worked for me.
 

Bella_B

Estimable
Dec 29, 2015
1
0
4,510
0
Actually just going to the privacy area in the settings and unchecking "Prefetch resources to load pages more quickly" should do the trick. I was poking about the settings and came across that. Was having same issue and since unchecking it chrome opens fine with no spike.
 

srewobwj

Commendable
Aug 13, 2016
1
0
1,510
0
I've been plagued by this problem for some time. I'd already started transitioning to MS Edge when I realized that I'd never considered that Chrome Extensions might be the culprate. Low and behold, I uninstalled all Chrome Extensions and the problem disappeared.

Solution: Uninstall all Chrome Extensions, then add them back one at a time. Through process of elimination, you'll likely find that one of them is pushing your hard drive to the limit.
 

rfurr

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009
2
0
18,510
0
I found my problem. It was a corrupt History file in Chrome.

I noticed the Clear Browsing Data (under More Tools) was not able to get a total for the "Browsing History" section.

Then from the Google Chrome Help Forum (Syd Hutchinson) I found this procedure:

Firstly make sure Chrome is switched off. Go into task manager and make double sure there are no instances of it running. If it has been open it is sometimes easier to close it and then reboot your machine to ensure it is closed. Now open file manager and go to C:\Users\*your id*\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default. Replace *your id* with your user id. Now look for a file named History and delete it. Just that one file. If it was like mine it will probably be a large file. Mine was 500Mb. Close file manager and open Chrome and all should be ok. A new History file will be created and it will now be just a few kbs.

Deleting the one file "History" fixed the problem! Such a relief!

-Rick-
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
N Apps General Discussion 2
T Apps General Discussion 7
P Apps General Discussion 1
Y Apps General Discussion 1
D Apps General Discussion 2
B Apps General Discussion 9
C Apps General Discussion 2
I Apps General Discussion 2
H Apps General Discussion 2
M Apps General Discussion 6
D Apps General Discussion 2
E Apps General Discussion 3
G Apps General Discussion 2
oathmark1 Apps General Discussion 3
I Apps General Discussion 2
W Apps General Discussion 5
S Apps General Discussion 4
Z Apps General Discussion 3
C Apps General Discussion 2
nate vongrimm Apps General Discussion 2

ASK THE COMMUNITY