Google Chrome Will Enable Desktop HTML5 Apps Too

Status
Not open for further replies.

math1337

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2009
The advantage is probably mostly in cross platform independence. Given the option, I'd rather work in C# &WPF than HTM5 javascript.

ttcboy

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
If the developer want to make the program that is meant for the desktop, why would they bother to write in HTML in the first place ?

aftcomet

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2010
Can't wait for HTML5 to come in full force. Getting absolutely sick and disgusted with Flash which crashes Firefox every couple of hours and completely drains my mobile device's battery.

G

HTML and JavaScript suck for all but the most basic reading tasks. Won't be using this ever.

digitalvampire

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2010
Fantastic!! All those slower, web-based versions of our already significantly faster desktop applications are coming back to the desktop and bringing the slower technology with them. (wait, what?) I really can't understand the trend of refusing to learn an actual programming language. I honestly would prefer the fat, slow, pseudo-cross platform and legally compromising Java over this.

[citation][nom]math1337[/nom]The advantage is probably mostly in cross platform independence. Given the option, I'd rather work in C# &WPF than HTM5 javascript.[/citation]
I hope you are not insinuating that C# and WPF are cross-platform, because they are, well, not even close.

[citation][nom]IndignantSkeptic[/nom]If programmers write their programs in HTML5 then does that effectively make their programs open source?[/citation]
It would make their source "code" directly readable, but it wouldn't necessarily make it free or open source. Just because code is able to be openly examined doesn't make it open source. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open-source_software#Open_source_vs._source-available)

IndignantSkeptic

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2011
[citation][nom]digitalvampire[/nom]It would make their source "code" directly readable, but it wouldn't necessarily make it free or open source. Just because code is able to be openly examined doesn't make it open source. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open-source_software#Open_source_vs._source-available)[/citation]

Ok, but coding in HTML5 basically makes it very easy for everyone to commit industrial espionage against you because they can easily see and steal/copy all of your exact source code. Correct? That's what I'm concerned about. Everyone stealing everyone else's intellectual property would be enormously beneficial to humanity in the short term but then horribly devastating to humanity in the long term because then nobody would want to pay to do research & development anymore if everyone else can just steal and use their findings for free because then the group that payed for the R&D would be putting themselves into millions or even billions of dollars of debt that they could never get out of.

digitalvampire

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2010
[citation][nom]IndignantSkeptic[/nom]Ok, but coding in HTML5 basically makes it very easy for everyone to commit industrial espionage against you because they can easily see and steal/copy all of your exact source code. Correct? That's what I'm concerned about. Everyone stealing everyone else's intellectual property would be enormously beneficial to humanity in the short term but then horribly devastating to humanity in the long term because then nobody would want to pay to do research & development anymore if everyone else can just steal and use their findings for free because then the group that payed for the R&D would be putting themselves into millions or even billions of dollars of debt that they could never get out of.[/citation]
I can't tell if you're trolling me or not, so I'll just assume that you're not.

I don't agree that a company not making as much money as they would have liked is "horribly devastating to humanity", but we can agree to disagree there. Even if that were the case, having code that is freely available doesn't mean you can't make money. Google, Red Hat, Facebook, and many more seem to be doing an okay job. As a matter of fact, they wouldn't even exist without said code.

If I could give an analogy, it would be this. Imagine if addition we're considered intellectual property. Nobody would be able to use it without some form of payment. That would significantly slow down progress. It seems obsurd for that to ever happen though, right. Why is that? Because anyone can do it so easily and it's so trivial. Much of today's code is in the same situation, just in terms of computing.

mataglap

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
[citation][nom]IndignantSkeptic[/nom]Ok, but coding in HTML5 basically makes it very easy for everyone to commit industrial espionage against you because they can easily see and steal/copy all of your exact source code. Correct? That's what I'm concerned about. Everyone stealing everyone else's intellectual property would be enormously beneficial to humanity in the short term but then horribly devastating to humanity in the long term because then nobody would want to pay to do research & development anymore if everyone else can just steal and use their findings for free because then the group that payed for the R&D would be putting themselves into millions or even billions of dollars of debt that they could never get out of.[/citation]

Unless the web site is very basic most of the real work via code happens behind the scenes on the servers. The HTML code is just a framework for the display of the data that is generated by the servers. You can copy every bit of a page served by a web app and all you really get is the look and feel. The data and decisions that actually drive a site are still private and secured on the servers feeding the site.

annymmo

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
These web apps would be fine for basic applications, nothing heavy of course.
It would be really practical to be able to have a bunch of functionality available cross-platform.
Go webapps!

G

HTML 5 Apps will be enabled in desktop Google apps, will be a good idea.

http://www.techgreet.com/google-chrome-desktop-apps/

Status
Not open for further replies.