Google Chrome wont work with my free Avast turned on, when I turn it off it works well.

Sockel

Prominent
Jul 16, 2017
If I turn off Avast, my Google chrome works super fast. With Avast on it gets slow, will not load some sites. When avast is on I cant get on you tube, yahoo, or many other sites that I have been on for years.

When I got on the pc the other day Google kept crashing so I uninstalled it and reinstalled several times, then it started working. It would not let me load many sites. I read on a forum somewhere to do an Avast repair and restart. Which I did and then had no problems for about 30 min. then it started again. I dont like being on the net without a antivirus. Just to be here I had to shut off Avast.

Any ideas? Is there a free antivirus program that works with Google Chrome better than Avast does?

Solution
Not using (full disclosure) Chrome or Avast. Perhaps someone else following this thread may be able to suggest another antivirus product.

However I would expect that the speed discrepancy and the app, process, or services involved would be very apparent via one of the monitoring tools.

The goal is to find more information regarding the problem.

May not even be related to Chrome and/or Avast - could be some "perfect storm" of whatever is running at the time.

Check Chrome and Avast websites via their respective FAQs and Forums. See if anyone else is reporting or experiencing similar problems.
Try to determine why Google Chrome and/or Avast is crashing your system.

Open Event Viewer and look for warnings or errors just before or at the time of the crash.

You can also use Task Manager, Performance Monitor, and Resource Monitor to establish what is causing the slowdowns.

Run for a while and watch what all is happening. Then launch Chrome (keeping the monitor window open and to one side) and check if any resource is being grabbed up by some process, service, or app.

Key is narrowing down the possible culprits.

Sockel

Prominent
Jul 16, 2017
I dont know what the event viewer is. Task mgr. just shows what I want running.
If I disable Avast my pc runs really fast. Im using vista if that helps.

No problem.

Here is a link from within this forum regarding Event Viewer.

Just take your time exploring it until you get a sense of the how the event information is organized and presented.

Right-clicking any given event entry will provide additional detail. Some logs may appear empty and even report "no information". However, the data is being collected and will appear soon thereafter if there is data to be had. Best to wait a few minutes.

My thought is that Avast is taking up some resource and not releasing that resource when no longer needed.

Performance Monitor and Resource Monitor will also help spot such things.

Sockel

Prominent
Jul 16, 2017
Is there another antivirus that works better with chrome? I turn off Avast and my PC is super fast. With avast on it just spins and doesnt open websites

Not using (full disclosure) Chrome or Avast. Perhaps someone else following this thread may be able to suggest another antivirus product.

However I would expect that the speed discrepancy and the app, process, or services involved would be very apparent via one of the monitoring tools.

The goal is to find more information regarding the problem.

May not even be related to Chrome and/or Avast - could be some "perfect storm" of whatever is running at the time.

Check Chrome and Avast websites via their respective FAQs and Forums. See if anyone else is reporting or experiencing similar problems.

Solution