Google.com sites not working in Google Chrome

Status
Not open for further replies.

Herc08

Respectable
Aug 6, 2016
So this is weird. I am usually good with software (in fact plan on taking the 220-901 exam today). But I can't figure this one out. This only happens in Chrome. When I first start it up, the website(s) works just fine, but after about 5 mins, it will be stuck on waiting. So I'm thinking this is my ISP, but it is not. Then I think it is my router blocking Google sites, but it is not. Now I can run Gmail (which is mail.google.com), but I cannot do a google search or use speedtest.net (which using Google AdSense I guess). Also, the Omnisearch bar does not display results on the fly as well. However, if I use Firefox and Edge, then the websites works perfectly. So I eliminated any proxy settings, router issues, ISP issues, and cache issues. However, I prefer Chrome over all of these (I can live with the memory issues).And no matter what it just doesn't work. I had to use Bing just to do some research on it. But I don't see anyone else with this exact problem.

Here is an example of what I mean.

1fhh6q.png

Solution
It is Windows Defender blocking it!

Just discovered this on a fresh install of Win 10. Disable Windows defender and now Hangouts, Chrome, Google sites, etc all work.

No log, no nothing. Just randomly doesn't work and then times out.

OK, I have confirmed you can leave Defender on, you just have to turn off the cloud portion.

Herc08

Respectable
Aug 6, 2016

That's the thing, it is not any firewall. The port is open and no deny rules. I use Windows Firewall. Also, it works perfectly in Edge and IE. So not understanding why it won't work. Again, it works when I FIRST open Chrome, and then after 5 mins it doesn't. The only Google site that works is Gmail.

JustifyHerko

Honorable
Nov 9, 2013

Reset to factory defaults in the google settings?

naqeeb123

Commendable
Aug 16, 2016

Herc08

Respectable
Aug 6, 2016

I thought that too. But I have MAalwareBytres Anti-malware along with Anti-Exploit...so I fee pretty protected. Plus Windows Defender as a secondary options. I scan on a weekly basis at 3am. But all of a sudden it works now. I did not reset the settings. It is weird that it would target just Chrome and then just any Google website. I did not download any software that was not trusted. Oh well. Thanks for everyone's input.

Herc08

Respectable
Aug 6, 2016

That's not the issue. It automatically updates. I usually just use Edge if I am going to visit any Google sites. Not that much of a pain to me. Any other site works just fine. But if there is like an ad thing that use Google, it can could prevent the site from loading. Weird. Again, Chrome works good, so it is not blocked. I reset the settings, still no issue. It is not one of those things that comes and goes. Oh well.

I doubt anyone can find a solution to this. I think a mod should just close this thread.

Dave8671

Honorable
Jan 1, 2014
In the passed i have had my web browsers auto update like firefox. I do not anymore. Something gets corrupted after many auto updates. I now backup my bookmarks and i remove the old install and delete the folder and install the new version. I have not had issue like you subscribe since. I could never pinpoint the exact issue that caused the crashing and not loading web pages. Though i do ot have them anymore.

Craig_42

Commendable
Oct 2, 2016
I have this exact issue, google.com doesn't work in chrome, works in other browsers (I am using a Mac) Comcast is ISP. I've cleared cache, uninstalled and reinstalled and pretty much anything else I can think of looking this up in other sites. I have a windows based machine where the internet searches are fine.

Bill_104

Commendable
Oct 6, 2016
It is Windows Defender blocking it!

Just discovered this on a fresh install of Win 10. Disable Windows defender and now Hangouts, Chrome, Google sites, etc all work.

No log, no nothing. Just randomly doesn't work and then times out.

OK, I have confirmed you can leave Defender on, you just have to turn off the cloud portion.

Solution

FLL_Net1

Prominent
Mar 29, 2017
Not really a solution, One of our managed clients is having having a similar problem, Google Chrome is affected but also Firefox from going to any Google related website. Error on Chrome is that the connection is terminated. We have a Fortinet 60D and Group Policy and Kaspersly on site, maybe this is related before an user reported this the day before the Fortinet had failed apparently because of firmware issues but it was finally recovered, I did not go to site, two other networking engineers went, I don't know if another network engineer, might have made any changes to the firewall that caused this issue. What I don't understand if it would be the Fortinet why is it only blocking Google Chrome, actually also with Firefox which I installed to test, so only Internet Explorer works fine. Could it also be a Group Policy issue? If it is I never noticed this before in about six months. I went to another computer and got the same problem. I would like to try the standalone version of Google or even the portable one. I wanted to contribute to this post. Thanks to all for your answers and collaboration.

Status
Not open for further replies.