Google Confirms $199 Asus Nexus 7 Android Tablet

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

klavis

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2010
Wait, it actually has GPS, that's crazy, I've been wanting that for a while. Might have to replace my current tablet in favor of one of these.

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
I think Google has a real winner here : the specs are great, Asus is a known for reliable products and the pricing is agressively competitive. The only negative aspect I see is the lack of 3G/4G. It's not that big of a deal for me, because I can just tether it to my Galaxy Nexus (or so I hope), but it might be a deal-breaker for people looking for a do-it-all tablet.

slabbo

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2009
oh no SD card or any kinda memory expansion? make a 32GB model google or add in an SD slot. 8 and 16GB kinda small, and no I don't wanna be forced to use cloud for storage!

ejb222

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2012
so wait...GPS but no 3G/4G????

At that pricepoint..it's cool...but I personally would save for a MS Surface

icemunk

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2009
[citation][nom]ejb222[/nom]so wait...GPS but no 3G/4G????At that pricepoint..it's cool...but I personally would save for a MS Surface[/citation]

Got a cell phone? Use it as a wireless hotspot. Problem solved.

kronos_cornelius

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
The front camera and mic makes it instantly better than the Kindle. The CPU also makes it faster. Until Amazon comes up with the next gen Kindle, The Nexus 7 is way better.

Also, you have to consider that you can use Amazon services (MP3, Books, Movies) from an open Android platform (Nexus 7), whereas you cannot use other services (Google Play, Barns & Noble ) from the Kindle. So you preserve more freedom to choose if you get the Nexus 7.

The Kindle would have to drop to $99 to make that provider lock-in reasonable. However, for many people freedom is priceless.

slabbo

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2009
This looks really good but has room for improvement. like lack of SD expansion for one. Anyway, the ball is now in Amazon's court. Can't wait to see what they have in store for the next kindle fire. Let the competition of the $200 7 inchers begin!

ejb222

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2012
[citation][nom]icemunk[/nom]Got a cell phone? Use it as a wireless hotspot. Problem solved.[/citation]

Yeah I have a cell phone...with GPS on it. So I should use my cell phone with GPS to wifi hotspot my tablet so I can have GPS...Stupid!

G

Nexus 7 is an example of a strip down tablet where the essential has stayed while the lesser use feature has been taken away: the tablet has the latest quad-core chip running at 1.3Ghz, good IPS screen at 1280x800, and battery life. They take away the back camera, 3G connectivity, microSD, no USB (the microUSB slot should be for charging only).

Taking away those features, are partly to lower the cost, also partly to ensure current tablets from their partners still have a reason to exist in the market. But at this price, it really does change the market and force Amazon to include better hardware in Kindle and Apple to lower their prices and come out with a 7" equivalent. It will also put incredible pressure on the future Windows 8 tablet sales.

slabbo

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2009
[citation][nom]ejb222[/nom]Yeah I have a cell phone...with GPS on it. So I should use my cell phone with GPS to wifi hotspot my tablet so I can have GPS...Stupid![/citation]

You don't need wifi or an internet connection if it has a GPS unit on the device. How do you think stand alone GPS units from Tom Tom, Garmin...etc work?

wildkitten

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
The tablet looks nice, but seriously, no SD slot? Makes the Samsung tablet look competitive.

16GB storage internal is fine, especially for $250 when Samsung only has 8GB for the price, but I can stick a SD card in the Tab.

If cell phones for years can include SD slots, it's almost unforgiveable to make a new device like this without one.

cumi2k4

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2011
Was wondering about the specs... it shows great specs at low prices, but how come those newest phones/tablets with 3G/call option cost so much? is it really that expensive to implement phone chip?

roymustang

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007
I'm really upset that Google went the route of Apple and Amazon by oce again going against the best interest of the consumer in order to push their own cloud services by not including a microSD slot.

So now not only can I not buy the Nexus 7, but I can't even buy the Asus Eee Pad MeMo 370T that I was planning on buying because Google appropriated it and rebranded it as the Nexus 7.

Thanks Google...

face-plants

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
[citation][nom]southernshark[/nom]Does it have a slot for an SD card? That would make it awesome.[/citation]

Read the comments before posting. It was mentioned in about 7 different comments that there's no SD card slot. Sure seems like a blatant push towards having to use their cloud storage if you need more space. Price is great but why they're giving it the same constraint that makes the iPad so unappealing to me is an insult to us local data loving users. Clouds are for rain and shade but not my files thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.