Google Confirms $199 Asus Nexus 7 Android Tablet

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

invlem

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
I can't decide between this and the TF700...

The price is definitely right though, my brother has a Playbook so I've spent plenty of time with a 7" screen and its really not that bad of a screen size.

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
[citation][nom]face-plants[/nom]Read the comments before posting. It was mentioned in about 7 different comments that there's no SD card slot. ![/citation]

Thank you for your lesson on TH question asking etiquette. We can't have enough of that sort of thing in our lives.

face-plants

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
You're right, if I'm going to criticize posting etiquette in the comments, I should make sure I don't answer anyone's questions or contribute to the discussion as well! Makes it even more productive.

G

i think that is the phone version of android 4.1. Thats most likely not the OS it will ship with. The tablet version of the OS is most likely not done yet. It looks very good but that is a deal breaker if it ships with that android build on it because i'd have to ether live with it or root it, both of which i dont want to have to do.

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
[citation][nom]face-plants[/nom]You're right, if I'm going to criticize posting etiquette in the comments, I should make sure I don't answer anyone's questions or contribute to the discussion as well! Makes it even more productive.[/citation]

I am right? A thank you is now Right or Wrong? Interesting... these rules of etiquette become ever more complicated.

frank_drebin

Honorable
Feb 29, 2012
so they just want peeps to switch to Google Play.... jeez how do i choose from all these lock ins...?
iTunes, Amazon, GooglePlay.
Someone with iPad won't switch to this one that's for sure... but people who dont have a tablet might grab this one

pacapaca

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2010
Really, no sd slot? I was ready to pull the trigger but that really is a deal breaker for me. 8 hours of movie watching on a single charge would be all well and good if one could actually store 8 hours worth of hd media...

leakingpaint

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2007
I still feel the device is under powered. As a tablet it should be considerably more powerful than new smart phones. The S3 has better cameras and it also has 1GB Ram not only that but I think the S3 comes in 32 and 64 gigs as well as place for an SD card.

Come on Google & Asus give us a thumper tablet that give the iPad a scare! This isn't even going to make the iPad yawn.

face-plants

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
[citation][nom]faster23rd[/nom]Sorry if I don't know, but of what use would an accelerometer be in a tablet or its users?[/citation]

Motion controls for gaming and screen rotation when you turn the tablet from horizontal to vertical etc come to mind initially. Many laptops now have accelerometers in them as well but they're used to sense if it is dropped so it can park the hard drive heads (hopefully) before it hits the ground to give you a better chance of not crashing the drive.
There are even apps that know when a device is sitting idle on a flat surface and can detect and report tremors to earthquake monitoring centers. Sounds like a joke but Japan has apparently used such a system successfully already.

assasin32

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2008
[citation][nom]roymustang[/nom]I'm really upset that Google went the route of Apple and Amazon by oce again going against the best interest of the consumer in order to push their own cloud services by not including a microSD slot. So now not only can I not buy the Nexus 7, but I can't even buy the Asus Eee Pad MeMo 370T that I was planning on buying because Google appropriated it and rebranded it as the Nexus 7.Thanks Google...[/citation]

Are you sure they did? I am under the impression that those are just rumors. I am hoping that Asus will still release the 370t, I want the microSD slot and microHDMI tablet with those specs for 250. It would be more or less my ideal tablet. I passed up on getting a transformer prime for this, which I unfortunately don't have the money for anymore so I hope they don't change their minds on building it.

Status
Not open for further replies.