Google Drive constantly eating around 30% CPU usage on an Haswell i5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vlad Rose

Estimable
Apr 7, 2014
I am having an issue with my Google drive app on my desktop. At some point while the machine is running (probably during a sync), the Google drive app starts using up around 30% of my CPU usage time. This would be fine except it stays that way indefinitely until the app itself is closed. This has been an issue for a while and updates to Google drive have not solved it. I am running windows 8.1 and using a Haswell i5 4670k. My antivirus is currently Windows Defender, but I was running Bit Defender at one point; with the same result.

Has anyone had similar issues to this and what methods have you tried to resolve it; outside closing or uninstalling the app?

Vlad Rose

Estimable
Apr 7, 2014
I did both before, still no luck. According to the article you linked, I'm not the only one with the issue with no solution present; making a lot of people switch to Dropbox. I had google searched the issue before as well, with similar results. Guess no more google sync app on my machine anymore.. lol

johey

Estimable
May 8, 2015
Same problem here. Windows7, i7-2620M, 8GB RAM.

Nothing to synchronize and Google Drive sync consuming constantly (for multiple days, so I assume it's endless) 25% of the cpu.

Restarting the process does not seem to help.

Maybe this occurs if your Google Drive contains too many files (mine has over 20,000) ?

Vlad Rose

Estimable
Apr 7, 2014

I don't really have much in the way of files on mine atm as it's a redundant backup of my dropbox for pictures, but I have the same result.

Darren Leung

Estimable
Sep 29, 2015
It seems that Google Drive Sync causes problems when it's trying to sync either a file that cannot be sync'd (for whatever reason) or trying to sync when there is no (or a non-functional) internet connection.
Even if your Drive is working right now, try putting your computer in airplane mode (or canning the connection) and then putting a blank document in a Google Drive. That usually messes things up for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.