Google Engineer Fired for Spying on Teenagers

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Anyone in google can spy in your chats, emails, geographic location, etc... now imagine you have and android..... they probably even know when you go to the bathroom.... another reason to root your phone and don't trust google to protect your privacy for you.

kms

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2010
Nice digital lynching Google! I guess this is an example of termination with extreme prejudice. It's one thing to fire someone for cause but quite another to make them unemployable by publicizing the fact.

larri8

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2010
Look at the Google Ad right below the comment field:
"Cell Phone Spying".
Doesn't look like Google is protecting anyone's privacy.

brendano257

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
[citation][nom]Dirtman73[/nom]I'm betting that Google was paying him to do this, but they got busted, so he took the blame.I'm kidding, of course, but Google sucks anyway. I wouldn't be surprised at all if they had a top-secret department that does this to politicians and public officials.[/citation]

They don't need a whole department for it. It took one guy and an hour or so on Google to hack Palin's Yahoo account. 'Hacking' stupid people is easy :)

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
[citation][nom]brendano257[/nom]They don't need a whole department for it. It took one guy and an hour or so on Google to hack Palin's Yahoo account. 'Hacking' stupid people is easy[/citation]
Are you suggesting he figured out her password because it was simplistic? Because I don't think that is how it went down. Other than that, what difference would it make if the victim was smart or not?

thebigt42

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009
"One case saw Barksdale tap into call logs from Google Voice"

This is why no one should be using google voice! Every thing you say is being recored and stored! Bigoogle Brother is HERE!

lradunovic77

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2009
Someone said
'Wait what? A company that spies on people fires one of their employees for spying?'

ahaha quite true, with Google there is no Privacy.

Deadstick50

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
Just one more reason i avoid google!! Not saying any of the other search sites are alot better, but when they (google) drove around scooping wifi data all respect and honor they had from me was gone. Shame of it is a good friend of mines son works for this 9000 pound gorrilla!!!

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
No one @ Google questioned why he came to work in a Pebo Bear outfit each day?! This sounds like a case for the San Luis Obispo County Sheriff's Department!

This guy is a mess!

mikem_90

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
The rant about Google privacy is a kinda funny. Its the same for any doctors office, school, credit card company, etc.. heck, Google likely has more controls on privacy than your credit card company.

I've yet to have people show up at my doorstep or be pestered by companies charging my credit card by saying the wrong thing WITHOUT giving them my credit card details, or being erroneously signed up for some spam service on my cellphone that again puts charges on my bill without me agreeing to anything because of using Google.

And a note about internal checks and auditing. There has to be hordes of logs and info to sift through. Certain actions can help by setting off red flags, but its still a lot of data to pour through. More manpower and review = more cost.

Also, how do you balance the ease of getting something done with information security? HIPPA is for medical records and sometimes helps, often it puts a HUGE delay in place in getting any work done. Are you happy with getting an issue resolved right then and there, or in 3-4 weeks like medical record billing errors?

If you put tighter controls, it gets far harder to get work done, and creates a bad atmosphere for the employees to work in, possibly creating issues like this as well.

Say what you want to the information they have access to, unlike a lot of companies that only pay lip service to security and privacy issues, purposefully misuse data, I find Google's approach far better and reliable than any credit card company.

G

my friend hacked into googles system a few days ago after hereing they spy and saw the employees chat logs and take my word that this one guy is the only one who is doing this

Status
Not open for further replies.