Google Estimates Facebook Gets 10^12 PVs

Status
Not open for further replies.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
[citation][nom]therabiddeer[/nom]I imagine that 1 trillion per month is HUGELY off, because that would be in the neighborhood of 23 million page views per minute.[/citation]
...how is that hard to believe? they have 500 million active members...

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]eklipz330[/nom]...how is that hard to believe? they have 500 million active members...[/citation]

that would still be every one checking their page 66 times a day.

let me ask, does this include going from page to page while on face book, because i could see people checking back every 6 hours while awake, or every time a friend sends them something.

i never use facebook, so im not entirely sure how it works

Silmarunya

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]that would still be every one checking their page 66 times a day.let me ask, does this include going from page to page while on face book, because i could see people checking back every 6 hours while awake, or every time a friend sends them something. i never use facebook, so im not entirely sure how it works[/citation]

1) Facebook prompts FF users to set it as the homepage. That way, a lot of visits are generated without really visiting the site.

2) For most teenage girls, it's unacceptable not to post a new status a few times a day and comment on every single photo immediately. They are glued to their computer screen.

3) A lot of people (me included) quickly check it a few times a day. I guess I get about 5 views per day.

While incredibly high, I think it's possible.

LePhuronn

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]that would still be every one checking their page 66 times a day.let me ask, does this include going from page to page while on face book, because i could see people checking back every 6 hours while awake, or every time a friend sends them something. i never use facebook, so im not entirely sure how it works[/citation]

No disrespect then, but you're obviously not aware of how it works. It's not just looking at your own page, it's looking at other profiles, posts they've made, games you're playing, event invitations.

Even in the 30 minutes I spend at lunch time just catching up on conversations and bits and pieces I can easily hit 40 pages (a lot of them duplicates), but that's still 40 requests for a page from a single user in half an hour.

Do about the same before I go to bed and I'm 14 requests over your 66 figure.

It's perfectly doable.

rosen380

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2011
Per the last internet usage article that included data on time spent, the average facebook user spends about 6 hours a month on the site. 66 page views per day would be about 2000 a month. (5*60*60 seconds) /2000 Views = about 9 seconds spent per page view. Sounds reasonable...

dwhapham

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2007
You have to remember that not all page views are human generated. Web bots, antivirus programs, web caching systems, etc all contribute to the number of page views. So 1 trill a month is definitly possible..

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
Totally agrees with LePhuronn. The average user visiting 66 pages (different or refresh) is realisic. Even if I'm not actively browsing Facebook, my home page will refresh every once in a while. And if I'm actively following conversations or browsing through some photos, I will easily go over that mark.

Status
Not open for further replies.