Google Fi vs. T-Mobile: Which Is a Better Deal?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Dec 16, 2018
I was previously a t-moble customer and switched to Fi a couple years back. Fi has been hands down the better provider. T-moble was $20-$25 per month more expensive. T-moble very often made mistakes on thier billing as well that lead to hours on the phone with them only to be transferred and/or hung up on randomly. We now have two phones on Fi on the same group plan and we are still paying less than it cost me for one phone on t-moble. With better customer service, better coverage, better phones, better plan, better perks/promos, now with built-in VPN, easier setup and fastest upates Google Fi is the the superior provider.

Dec 16, 2018
This article seems to be about which is the better value for people who use large amounts of mobile data. My wife and I don't use 1GB/month combined. We have wifi at home and work. It's everywhere. I can download just about anything I need for offline use when I'm temporarily away from wifi. That leaves trivial data use like mail and occasionally maps.

Maybe some people need 10GB/month of mobile data. If you don't and you're paying $90/month after taxes for two phones instead of $45, you're getting ripped off.

Dec 16, 2018
I am currently with Tmobile. I am on the auto pay plan and have 4 lines. I pay a flat $150 per month. I also enjoy the free netflix. So I pay $37.50 per line with unlimited everything (yes I know the speed gets throttled), and have mobile hotspot. I believe there isnt a one product/service fits all. I am however glad Google Fi came out because I believe it woke up the big carriers and brought down prices where they need/and or could still be lower. Isnt competition great!

Dec 16, 2018
Thank you but I still don't get why the data is a charge flex for the carrier's.I think of it like having a V8,V6,in a car package but is it really necessary to break it down like that.Do they purchase from a wholesale data bank so to speak and resell it for a justified price.The previous post made a good point saying they didn't need 10 highs because of WiFi but that too seems tedious even in the bigger areas you have to ask for access in some form with a password etc.I remember reading about universal WiFi coming and everyone being able to download through it with no limits or clunky permissions.Ok yea I think that end of the technology should be open with safety for the user.The word unlimited is ambiguous I think in using it then saying up to say 10gigs and we will cut you off essentially.Try downloading with 2g speed it's like Dialup AOL in 1995 with a warning that makes you feel like the ship is sinking.Again,I am just raising the question of why is data a commodity for barter.How do I know how much I need?How does anyone?which seems to be terribly unfair to customers.Their answer is if you download videos etc.well you probably need more.Then as we all are faced with the decision that there is no answer.I hear I'm running out of data or data is gone all the time,and am experiencing it now.Its 40 degrees outside and I need to download an important document.I gotta go to Dairy Queen and sit in the parking lot on their WiFi to do it because my data is gone,or call from another phone and spend 20 bucks to purchase more data because I didn't know I was gonna run out even with a data gauge it's a tedious event.I have a friend who has an unlimited amount of money and he worries about his data.Why does it have to be.What is Data and why do charges have to vary when WiFi if you don't mind hanging out in DQ or paying a cable co.for a Modem to get data.Oh I forgot the mysterious Hotspot so I can get another data lecture from my girlfriend about data usage and those fun sites we all enjoy.Open the airways FCC we want our universal WIFI and we want it NOW!!!DOWNLOAD Laurence of Arabia and Schindler's List and ride on.Seems doable.Engineers?Tell me why not.

Dec 16, 2018
Since I will never enter another contract with a wireless provider, Google Fi is the best choice for me. That's the thing--this article is comparing mostly contract T-Mo plans with Fi, which is month to month. Don't like it? Stop your service and move on--no strings attached (unless you buy a phone from the Google Store, in which case you'd have to check the terms). Also, if you have to pause your service at any time, this is possible as well, and I don't believe you are charged for this either while your account is in limbo.

Only T-Mo's prepaid plans are non-contract, and I'll admit that I came from T-Mo's old $30/month 5GB data plan and beyond spotty coverage while traveling, had no issues with the service or the company during the few years I had it. But I'm paying less on Fi and have more "service," so, what's not to like?

Fi just fits my usage the best of any of the carriers. I typically pay $25-$27/month when I am at home, and even when out on extended road trips of two or three weeks, I have never paid over $50/month even when running two Pixel phones (one via data SIM) and Google Navigation almost non-stop. The added coverage of Sprint and US Cellular helps in those areas where T-Mo still doesn't reach, and there are many. With those two additional services and the WiFi, it has really good coverage for my needs.

Dec 16, 2018
I am glad that works for you but $150 a month in my world would get me an educated lecture about a phone bill by my female and she can't stay off the airways.Glad you are ok but I just think it is too much.

mike123guess

Honorable
Nov 6, 2017

With Google Fi I hardly ever pay more than the basic cost per month because I only use data on Wifi. And Google Fi has better coverage using 3 carriers despite what the article says. So bad comparison, incorrect information, me thinks someone loves Sprint. Doesn't matter how good Sprint is when you cant connect to anything, its worthless.

Dec 16, 2018
I used Fi as soon as it started and liked it a lot. I switched to T-Mobile when they started the 55 Plue plan. It was great except when I travel. The I-70 and I-80 corridors both have fantastic coverage with Google Fi... Meeting or exceeding Verizons service if you are using a Fi phone. T-Mobile however when outside many urban areas has some major holes, whether on Interstates or on Amtrak.

Dec 16, 2018
Your numbers are off for google fi. The first line is $20 and each additional is $15. You only pay for the data that you use for $10 per gig and you will not pay for more than $60.00 of data. So your "Google Fi vs. T-Mobile: Plans for Families" is not accurate. you will never pay $100 for 10G ($max data charge is $60)

Dec 17, 2018
Everyone is writing here about price. ALERT!!!! If your phone is not one of the optimized ones, wifi will not work for you. Important little tidbit for many. Keep this in mind

Dec 17, 2018
While I imagine some writers might perceive the 55+ crowd as a bunch of Consumer Cellular-toting old farts, some of us actually DO use a lot of data (oh yeah...and we also INVENTED the technology you young'uns are so enamored with).

T-mobile offers a 55+ ONE plan at $70 for two lines, including all fees and taxes (requires Autopay). Throttling doesn't start until usage exceeds 50GB/month per line.

Kinda makes ya wish you, too, were an old fart..eh? Don't worry...you'll get there sooner than you think.

Dec 16, 2018
That stings a little I got 6 mo.to go and wallah 55 I get all that.I will maybe celebrate at T-Mobile ,because the Google phones 800 to 1,000 bills.Yikes!!Thanxs I needed that but still doesn't explain what my enquiring mind needs to know.Devils in the details and I want to meet him.Peace.