Google Finally Addressing Android Fragmentation

Status
Not open for further replies.

getreal

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010
Too little, too late. Android for phones is really irrelevant now that the iPhone is available for the two largest carriers in the US. As for tablets, Android is a complete joke and utter failure. Hopefully the WebOS tablets or the RIM Playbook offers some competition to Apple, because Android tablets are an even bigger waste of money than the phones, and that's saying a LOT!

ericburnby

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
Why are they addressing a problem that doesn't exist? Ask any Apple hater and they'll tell you there is no fragmentation problem with Android. **end sarcasm**

AMW1011

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2009
[citation][nom]getreal[/nom]Too little, too late. Android for phones is really irrelevant now that the iPhone is available for the two largest carriers in the US. As for tablets, Android is a complete joke and utter failure. Hopefully the WebOS tablets or the RIM Playbook offers some competition to Apple, because Android tablets are an even bigger waste of money than the phones, and that's saying a LOT![/citation]

I just wish the dislike button worked... this deserves to be hidden.

frozenlead

Distinguished
[citation][nom]getreal[/nom]Too little, too late. Android for phones is really irrelevant now that the iPhone is available for the two largest carriers in the US. As for tablets, Android is a complete joke and utter failure. Hopefully the WebOS tablets or the RIM Playbook offers some competition to Apple, because Android tablets are an even bigger waste of money than the phones, and that's saying a LOT![/citation]

I've used both Android tablets and the Ipad, and the two aren't really that different.
In terms of Android vs. iPhone, some people enjoy being able to download whatever application anyone makes, and some people enjoy having phones with physical keyboards or with no keyboard or with whatever any hardware manufacturer comes up with, isntead of the one-size-fits-all deal from Apple. Sure, having multiple versions and multiple hardware designs is complex, but that doesn't make it bad. Look at Microsoft. Sure, their software isn't always the best, but it can do pretty much anything, and tons of people buy it.

I wouldn't have a job if I'd gone Mac when I was little and experimenting with computers. Turns out Windows and Linux make a nice combination for CAD and CFD. Not everyone's an engineer, though.

This coming from a Windows Mobile 6.5 user. Windows mobile is slow, but it's pretty robust, and it can get a lot of work done. Plus, I just like the Touch Pro 2. I suppose I'll have to jump ship now that Microsoft has turned Windows Mobile in to some kind of social networking thing - I need my phone to do real, live, work.

G

Crapple fan boys don't don't know the power of freedom of android and that is why they have to comment on something that they know nothing about, just look around android dominates ios. It is the number one phone OS and is leaving the grapple devices in the dust. Crapple devices are for people that can't think or do tech stuff on their own, simple minds need simple devices.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
i agree very much with you....apple is very strong player when it comes to the mobile market...i wish google would stick with what they do best... web search....

winner4455

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2009

Android has a bigger market share than Apple's iOS does...

inglburt

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2007
Jesus Christ people, just use what you want and don't worry that the other guy doesn't feel the same as you. I get so sick of everyone bashing the brand/company that they don't use. They sound like a bunch of whining spoiled brat kids.
Personally I don't like Apple, but that means I won't use them. Not that you are an idiot for liking them. Or that I'm going to spout out stupid crap that I don't know anything about, just because I feel that it is the way it should be.

hectorherbert

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2010
[citation][nom]andyrules[/nom]Crapple fan boys don't don't know the power of freedom of android and that is why they have to comment on something that they know nothing about, just look around android dominates ios. It is the number one phone OS and is leaving the grapple devices in the dust. Crapple devices are for people that can't think or do tech stuff on their own, simple minds need simple devices.[/citation]

CRAPPLE CRAPPLE CRAPPLE CRAPPLE jesus what a mad nerd.

P.S. "tech stuff" aka "I write World of Warcraft addons" aka "I'm a loser"

Silmarunya

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
[citation][nom]hectorherbert[/nom]CRAPPLE CRAPPLE CRAPPLE CRAPPLE jesus what a mad nerd.P.S. "tech stuff" aka "I write World of Warcraft addons" aka "I'm a loser"[/citation]

While Andyrules worded it too strongly, he does have a point. From a purely technological point of view, Android is superior. It offers more functionalities, is more flexible and has many features iOS lacks. It's also more secure (although that's more than negated by the lack of quality control in the Android Market).

iOS is simple, looks good and is reliable. That's what most people want a mobile OS to do, so iOS' simplicity is probably a good thing. However, when it comes to features that a tech pro needs/wants, iOS is lacking.

wifiwolf

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009
[citation][nom]inglburt[/nom]Jesus Christ people, just use what you want and don't worry that the other guy doesn't feel the same as you. I get so sick of everyone bashing the brand/company that they don't use. They sound like a bunch of whining spoiled brat kids. Personally I don't like Apple, but that means I won't use them. Not that you are an idiot for liking them. Or that I'm going to spout out stupid crap that I don't know anything about, just because I feel that it is the way it should be.[/citation]

Agree with you. I only use macs and other Apple products when people ask me for support.
That doesn't mean they're no good devices. Those users just have some specific task they want their device to do and no more. For most consumers that's exactly their usage profile. For me and other enthusiasts on the other hand, I won't buy something I can't mess around with. That's just what suits me. For most people, the less they can mess, the better.

everygamer

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
The fragmentation issue is not as big as people think, you dont have to build different versions of your application for different versions of the Android OS. If you build your app for Android 2.0, it will work on any Android 2.0+ OS. If you build it for 1.6, it will work on 1.6 or greater. So they just have to pick how far back they want to support. It will always work going forward.

seboj

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2008

Trolls, they be a trollin'.

If screen size fragmentation is such an issue, somebody should inform Rovio.. Angry Birds scales nicely to all screen sizes, even tablets.

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
At least they show they are interested in supporting prior versions of their own software. Too many software companies forget about their own prior iterations when they upgrade, as if they never existed, and a lot of customers are left in the dark just because they purchased a product earlier and kept it instead of buying a newer one every 6 months or so. Even Apple caused a lot of problems with their latest iOS versions to first and second generation iphone owners, so I would not give Apple as a positive example on this one.

getreal

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010
[citation][nom]web11[/nom]Android is s much better mobile OS. Keep ranting sheeple.[/citation]

iOS is a much better mobile OS. Keep ranting, nerd.

Zingam

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
[citation][nom]seboj[/nom]Trolls, they be a trollin'.If screen size fragmentation is such an issue, somebody should inform Rovio.. Angry Birds scales nicely to all screen sizes, even tablets.[/citation]

Yeah, but Rovio is a company with lots of experience and lots of sales, which means money to invest and test their software on multiple platforms.
If the developer is independent and not super rich he'll have trouble testing his software on dozens and dozens of android devices all different. Compare that to Apple - 4 phones, 3 touchpads, 2 ipads. And I think you can easily skip the first two generation which means that currently a developer could support just 4 devices, that are pretty similar.
Also AppStore sells much better than Android marketplace.Gameloft's sales on iphone were 400x larger than on Android.

Status
Not open for further replies.