Google Launches 'Google Fiber For Communities'

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I agree with one of the other posters that Google should "go off the wall" and pick somewhere other than the USA, there are places that really need it. They are some persons here complaining about how slow their internet is, people, you have no idea what slow internet is and how lucky you guys are. Imagine a place where you pay 77 USD for a 2Mbit connection that DOES NOT run over fiber but copper wire. Imagine a place where as soon as it rains the entire data network seems to go haywire and speeds drop significantly. Imagine you have over 300 ping to a game server a half hour drive from your home. Imagine a place where in order to get human customer support you have to wait a half hour to hour before you speak to a real person (that's a great day). Imagine a place where you've been waiting for 5 years to get a land line, a telephone line. I remember someone a while back complaining about "spotty" 3G cellular service, uh we don't even have EDGE in most places, we have spotty EDGE service, otherwise GPRS all the way. I say all of that to say: select areas in the USA are getting fiber or 1GBit internet, do what we would do, REJOICE! Or throw a carnival. I'm just saying, you could be us. Doubt me? http://www.time4lime.com/bb/personal/internet/plans.jsp

G

Eventhough I live in a town or city with about only 30.000 inhabitants, I think for Google to be effective is, to go into the most dense and highly populated area's, like Manhatten, downtown NY, SF, or MIAMI, and pilot their program there.
The 1gbps connection will surely help out a lot there, as opposed to a remote village where 3mbps is about 10 times the average of the whole town's use on internet...

tokenz

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2006
[citation][nom]lobsterm[/nom]we can get 24mb/s for almost nothing here (france)[/citation]

yeah but you live in france? I mean really france. Jk France is okay.

Milleman

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2006
It's really sad that the internet service and speed today is still below the standard in 3rd world developing countries for a majority of americans. I'll guess the lack of competition when giant companies holds monopoly over the services, is to blame. A company should never grew so large that it gets monopoly and control both the supply and demand.

Great if Google can break the existing deadlock and kick the existing providers in the but by offer better service!

Status
Not open for further replies.