Google Launches NFC-enabled Google Wallet for Smartphone Mobile Payments

Status
Not open for further replies.

chfireball

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2009
well i don't care for google much, they want there hand in everything!. now it's in paypal's pot. and i don't care much for paypal so this is a " good " thing.

aaron88_7

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010
Great, because I not only want Google knowing my web searches and physical location, but also what I'm buying as well. Screw personal privacy, when can I get this?

thrasher32

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2007
aaron, unless you're paying with cash and not using your store "rewards" card, your purchases are already going into at least one database.

chaos133

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2010
Is there an option to put some type of pin number on this? It may be easy and convenient to pay this way but if someone steals your phone it looks like your going to get a pretty massive bill.

milktea

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
[citation][nom]thrasher32[/nom]aaron, unless you're paying with cash and not using your store "rewards" card, your purchases are already going into at least one database.[/citation]
Even if you pay with cash, by carrying your smartphone (transaction + location) they could already tell what you've bought... I think. Unless you pay cash to the register under the table. :D

Yoder54

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2008
Yikes, talk about some bad reporting. Yes, Google is releasing it's mobile payments app. Google is also being sued by PayPal/eBay for hiring away those responsible in the PayPal camp for developing the app and for sharing PayPal's trade secrets with Google...that is the real news.

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
I have something like this already... Its called a Mastercard, A Visa and also up here in Canada most people use smoething called Debit.
Whats the point? All i gain here is to carry 1 less card.

I would roll with this new concept as soon as my phone can become my "official" everything replacing a wallet. Granted the security would have to be WAY more then my current secret code.. (1974)

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]...very slimy what those ex-PayPal employees did if it's true. When you go up against PayPal you go up against Ebay...not something I'd want to do. Google's in deep doodoo if the accusations are proven true.[/citation]
paypal(ebay) VS. Google... and the winner is?!

I would bet google wins this one. But im still not going to use thier dumb app.

G

Unless there is some very good way of securing the NFC payment feature this is going to make stealing my phone worth a lot more. If I walk down the road with my phone held up to my ears, isn't that going to be like me walking down the road with my wallet out for everyone to grab?

Status
Not open for further replies.