Google Makes New 'Compose' Feature the Default

Status
Not open for further replies.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
While I like some of the features of gmail, the UI just feels cluttered disorganized and unfriendly. I have become accustomed to outlook, and outlook.com is just so much more familiar and easier to use that if it weren't for android I would no longer use gmail at all.

afrobacon

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2008
As much as I prefer gmail over all other email; I'm very indifferent about their compose feature. It is very convenient for short quick messages; but anything past what I would send in a text it severely lacks. I know you can easily get to go old compose; but now it just seems too inconvenient.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]dalethepcman[/nom]While I like some of the features of gmail, the UI just feels cluttered disorganized and unfriendly. I have become accustomed to outlook, and outlook.com is just so much more familiar and easier to use that if it weren't for android I would no longer use gmail at all.[/citation]
[citation][nom]amk-aka-Phantom[/nom]Actually it can STILL be rolled back, thankfully, I HATE the new Compose with a passion.[/citation]
[citation][nom]afrobacon[/nom]As much as I prefer gmail over all other email; I'm very indifferent about their compose feature. It is very convenient for short quick messages; but anything past what I would send in a text it severely lacks. I know you can easily get to go old compose; but now it just seems too inconvenient.[/citation]

the moment they got rid of the old ui, i changed over to html...
every change they make i despise and apparently so to the vast majority of people who speak out about it, but they dont give a damn... i cant understand why.

G

It confused the heck out of my mother - who isn't the most computer savvy person in the world. When it dimmed the screen to show what was new I had her in a panic on the phone thinking it was a virus!

I liked having a full page to write my emails and I also like not having to click twice just to put something into bold etc.

Thumbs down for this change.

ddpruitt

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
I actually prefer the new compose feature. It let's me read and write emails at the same time.

I figure people don't like it because they don't like change or they can't do two things at once effectively.

Robi_g

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2012
windows 8 mail app, syncs with gmail, does everything just fine, but I'm not really a 'power user' of email

janetonly42

Honorable
Mar 4, 2013
Maybe Google can put a picture of Chavez or some other commie on it's mail page on Christmas day. F Google, their CEO is a commie loving leftist in bed with the Obama regime who are a bunch of commie fascist lovers too.

xelliz

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2009
Not everyone is a 12 yr old girl who wants everything to look like a txt message. I even send a lot of texts myself, but I hate this. I am trying to send an email. I can't imagine how frustrated corporate gmail users must be.

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
[citation][nom]janetonly42[/nom]Maybe Google can put a picture of Chavez or some other commie on it's mail page on Christmas day. F Google, their CEO is a commie loving leftist in bed with the Obama regime who are a bunch of commie fascist lovers too.[/citation]
This may stand for the most idiotic comment of the week! I know it's early, but I have a feeling it will be hard to beat for stupidity and irrelevance.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
Personally, I like the new Compose layout. I can see how people that regularly send longer emails would prefer the full screen though. My email are generally one, sometimes two sentences in length. At work I'll send longer email, but we use Outlook 2010, which is in most cases much less user friendly than Gmail.

HeadScratcher7

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
I like Gmail well enough. When at home I'm accessing my account via IMAP with Thunderbird, and at work I access it through the web browser. It was surprisingly easier to setup Thunderbird to access my Gmail account.

RobAC

Honorable
Mar 31, 2013
For quick messages yes-but for longer ones no.

Reminds me of that horrid conversation view nonsense they foisted on us til enough people complained they gave us a choice to turn it off.

I much prefer the full screen view- especially when scrolling down to reference the email thread I am responding to.

andrewzy

Honorable
Apr 4, 2013
Why on earth does the compose window for new emails open on the bottom right of the screen? Seems an insane design decision and, having been a Gmail user virtually since the start with a number of accounts, I'm now thinking of switching. Perhaps that's what they want.

Status
Not open for further replies.