Google Nexus 7 vs. EVGA Tegra Note vs. iPAD Mini

g-unit1111

Distinguished
I'm heavily interested in getting a smaller, more portable tablet. It won't be for a couple of months but I'm leaning toward one of those three. The downside is the price of the iPAD Mini does not justify the purchase unless I go the refurbished route. I'm leaning more toward Android as I already have an iPad, so that way I would get the best of both worlds. The Tegra Note is practically a steal at $199, but the resolution of 1280 x 800 is a bit worry some, where the Nexus 7 has a much better resolution of 1900 x 1200. Is it worth paying the extra $70 for the Nexus 7?

popatim

Splendid
The Nexus 7 is a really nice tablet. I was looking at one myself just the other day. The Display is rather impressive. I didnt think it would make much difference with email and web surfing but to me it seemed clearer than my Galaxy Note (1280x800) Pictures were definitely superior. I cant say I've played with a mini as I've got no interest in it.

Jaxem

Honorable
Jul 22, 2013
I have a N7 2013 and i'd have to say it's the best small tablet i've ever used, the screen is amazing, the processor is very good, and it has so many more capabilities than an iPad. I have an iPad 2 as well, and i have to say iOS 7 isn't very compelling at all. I'd say if you want the 'note' capability go with the Tegra, but if that's not a must feature for you, get the N7 as it's the best all-around tablet...

Jaxem

Honorable
Jul 22, 2013
It will work with that keyboard just fine (or any other bluetooth keyboard), but it won't fit the tablet like a case since it's designed for the ipad mini.

posechahua

Honorable
Oct 9, 2013
right, it won't fit the tablet like a case since it's designed for the ipad mini. thanks
19.gif

Jaxem

Honorable
Jul 22, 2013

What's the expected price point for the Dells? The display resolution isn't great, the atom may or may not have it running smoothly, and will probably not have great battery life. There really isn't a lot of information, at least on the site you linked...when are these coming out?

g-unit1111

Distinguished

They're supposedly due 10/18 when Windows 8.1 is released. Most of the preliminary reviews I've been reading about this line of tablets have been raves so far:

http://techcrunch.com/2013/10/03/dell-may-have-a-winner-with-its-windows-powered-venue-8-pro/
http://www.v3.co.uk/v3-uk/v3-co-uk-labs-blog/2298319/dell-venue-8-pro-and-venue-11-pro-hands-on-review

The MSRP is around the $299 mark for the 8" tablet but I think it will probably be more closer to $269 to compete with the Nexus 7. It's looking to be a better offering than the Acer Iconia.

Jaxem

Honorable
Jul 22, 2013

Oh, so you're looking at the windows ones (those are what you linked to). That's a different story then and isn't aimed at the Nexus 7 then, i'll have to look into them more...

g-unit1111

Distinguished

Yeah if I was getting an Android tablet I'd get a Nexus 7. The Windows 8 version is the one I'm interested in. I'm not sure about the Android pricing though, I'll have to look into that.

fsalese

Honorable
Nov 25, 2013

I have the Tegra Note 7 and the resolution is noticeable. But the video output power makes up for this. It is capable of producing UHD ouput, and its HD output beats all competition. It also has a direct mini HDMI output and SD slot. No other product has this.

The stylus is amazing at screen capture. There is nothing like it. Even the note 3 pales in comparison with the speed of its capture/save/email. Amazing.

Software is buggy (they pushed the launch), but the update will fix all of these things, which will be timely considering the minimalist nature of the UI.

You can also say you have the fastest 7 inch tablet in the world... for only $199.

g-unit1111

Distinguished

Interesting, that's good to know. The specs are why I'm interested in the Tegra Note - especially since there's games made just for the Tegra platform.