Google Nexus Tablet Won't Have Tegra 3

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

obsama1

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2012
Dang, so many uninformed trolls. Maybe it'll have a dual-core Krait which will rape Tegra 3. Or maybe the new 2GHz Exynos which'll murder the A5X/A5/Tegra 3/Krait. But seriously if its $150, has Jelly Bean, and a good screen, I'll buy like 5 as gifts and for myself. Imagine you're the uninformed consumer. iPad -$500. Nexus Tablet -$150. It's going to be the next HP Touchpad. Everybody'll want one, and at such a cheap price, people will buy them as gifts, and buy one for every room in the house, LOL. I love Android, but Google needs to market. Turn on the Tv and every 5 min. there's an iPad commercial. Google had awesome YouTube ads, they just need to bring to TV. Show off all the apps, the ecosystem, the flexibility, the specs. Give away a free limited edition Nexus tablet to developers who develop apps. And to make it more enticing, engrave it with the developer's name, or something. I love the flexibility of Android, but a lot of consumers think its difficult to use. Google needs to slightly simplify the UI, and market it. Trust me, people will buy it in droves. But, we'll have to wait and see.

tntom

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2001
I was doubtful that the Google Pad would have Tegra but I wonder if Intel is pushing their Medfield. They need a flagship device and if they were desperate enough they could sell it at a loss to get some traction. Though not sure if regulators would prevent this type of strategy from Intel given their past practices. $150 would practically be selling this device for the cost of the batteries.

hp79

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2006
Isn't it crazy that just adding a phone circuitry on that makes the device cost $400 more? I wish the unlocked phones were this cheap.

ericburnby

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
[citation][nom]del35[/nom]Even a $300 tablet can relegate the iPads to the dust bin provided people grew informed. Apple success is based on hype and propaganda mediated by the narrowly owned media. Why a drm infested device like the iPad should be so popular in beyond reason. Imagine purchasing a device that limits the existing web by 30% due to its lack of flash and java support. Imagine using a device lacking on connectivity, sporting no micro sd port, and largely behind the technology curve even with its hyped "retina display" manufactured by no less than Samsung who refuses to use it in its high end devices. Imagine a device almost lacking in repair-ability with its 2 in 10 repairability score-- Imagine Apple. The death of the iPad will come when the masses of morons who are zombied into purchasing Apple's shiny overpriced locked-down products wakes up, but given their lack of technological sophistication it seems unlikely this will happen soon.[/citation]
- How do you explain the FAA authorizing iPads for flight manuals and airlines starting to use them
- How do you explain Halliburton doing an extensive cost/benefit analysis of iOS vs Android and deciding to ditch BB and go to iOS as their device of choice?
- How do you explain iOS completely dominating Android in the Enterprise?

Oh yeah, you can't because you're stating a bunch of opinions without any basis in fact. How did it feel to predict the iPad 1 a failure only to see it dominate? How did it feel to prdict the iPad 2 would also fail and see it dominate as well. Now you're predicting failure again for the iPad? The smart money says you're wrong, troll.

G

I bet Apple is saying "oh great" to them selves now. First it was the kindle fire that grabed a big chunk of iPads sales. now it will be the nexus tablet.

halcyon

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2004
[citation][nom]some internet dude[/nom]I bet Apple is saying "oh great" to them selves now. First it was the kindle fire that grabed a big chunk of iPads sales. now it will be the nexus tablet.[/citation]
I wonder if Apple even notices.

neon871

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2011
[citation][nom]Halcyon[/nom]It's a good price. I hope Asus produces a tablet with higher quality than it's pixel-defect infested Transformer Prime. ...but since Google is shooting for a tablet "...with the highest possible quality" perhaps the displays won't have the issues a lot of the Transformer Primes have.[/citation]
I don't what the hell you are talking about I have 2 Trans. Primes and neither have display issues. I never seen any bad feed back about the prime. I love them and would buy them again. I googled for the issue and didn't fine anything about pixel-defect, all I got was your stupid ass comment.

I googled this "asus transformer prime pixel-defect."

testerguy

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2011
[citation][nom]zybch[/nom]I had a tegra 2 tablet, but thanks to android it always felt laggy compared to ipads. Even though it's specs were better (especially the 1200x800 screen) it just didn't feel snappy like the ipad does.I liked the expandability and USB ports etc, but android still has a really long way to go to match the UI smoothness and general fit and finish of apple's device.I generally dislike apple stuff, but the new ipad is probably going to empty my wallet over an upgraded google-based tablet. Android really feels like google just copied (sometimes badly) things they saw other companies doing, and never bothered to get them working at their optimum. I've yet to use an android phone that feels anywhere near as robust as my HTC Titan, seems they are all cheap plastic ala samsung, but at least they don't have retarded engineers and a CEO who though it was a brilliant idea to stick the antenna on the exterior of the phone despite being told it would cause big problems.[/citation]

Do you mean the same antenna as that on the iPhone 4S, which is on the exterior of the phone and causes no problems? The implementation in the iPhone 4 was wrong, not the idea.

halcyon

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2004
[citation][nom]neon871[/nom]I don't what the hell you are talking about I have 2 Trans. Primes and neither have display issues. I never seen any bad feed back about the prime. I love them and would buy them again. I googled for the issue and didn't fine anything about pixel-defect, all I got was your stupid ass comment.I googled this "asus transformer prime pixel-defect."[/citation]

I had 5 transformer Primes in 5 weeks in Jan & Feb. of this year and all five had bad or stuck pixels. I do realize this could have been a bad shipment to the area I'm in (Maryland, USA).

Now, on another note...etiquette. ...just because you're young doesn't mean you have to act immature/rude in a forum ('stupid-ass...'). You can disagree with someone and still show some class. Kids get in these forums and act like they're can't participate without being volatile/immature. ...I see it hourly. I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt that you're not full grown because you'd likely know better. Again, you can disagree in a respectful manner.

I've had a different experience with the Transformer Prime and spent a lot of time and gas trying to get an unflawed sample. I was not lucky...but its good to know that the issue is not wide-spread. I've have multiple iPads and have never never never had any defects in them. ...like you've noted with your Transformer Primes. Like I noted...its good to know the issues I experienced don't seem to be wide-spread.

subaru41

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2006
[citation][nom]chronicbint[/nom]Its wildly known the Transformer Prime has lots of issues.[/citation]

Thanks for the troll Apple fanboy on a PC Hardware website. I own a Transformer Prime and an iPad 2 and they both work great with no flaws.

halcyon

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2004
[citation][nom]subaru41[/nom]Thanks for the troll Apple fanboy on a PC Hardware website. I own a Transformer Prime and an iPad 2 and they both work great with no flaws.[/citation]

Sometimes you get a bad batch, and I've chose to decide that the 5 I tried came out of the same bad batch of that had flawed LCDs. What I'm not going to do is get on a public forum, like this, and act immature about it. Yes, it left a very sour taste in my mouth, but excrement happens.

Subaru41...
[citation][nom]The Halcyon[/nom]Now, on another note...etiquette. ...just because you're young doesn't mean you have to act immature/rude in a forum ('stupid-ass...'). You can disagree with someone and still show some class. Kids get in these forums and act like they're can't participate without being volatile/immature. ...I see it hourly. I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt that you're not full grown because you'd likely know better. Again, you can disagree in a respectful manner. [/citation]

The thing that Asus nailed just as well as Apple with the Transformer Prime was form factor. I mean really svelte. ...the performance was great too. They put enough hardware in it to more than make up for Android's inefficiencies...the device ran smooth as glass. Really. I just didn't want to live with dead or stuck pixels...but a lot folks probably just lived with them.

Now I'm going to say something (else) stupid. Another thing I like about Apple gear is the ease of which you can get accessories for them. Everyone sells cases, etc. for MacBook, ipods, and iPads. For someone like me who really likes to keep his gear and near condition this is meaningful. Speaking of that I was in a Starbucks and this lady's MacBook looked like it had gone through a battle...and she had stickers and crap all over it. ...different strokes for different folks.

blackened144

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
[citation][nom]razor512[/nom]the iPad 2 may have a faster gpu than the tegra 2 but the CPU is slower. The reason why the iPad 2 is performing so much better for you is because apple put a lot of work into making the OS efficient. [/citation]

Where did you get your info on the CPUs? Both the iPad2's A5 SOC and the Tegra2 SOC use the same dual-core CortexA9 CPUs, so they are even on that front.. You were right that the GPU in the iPad2 that blows the Tegra2's GPU solution away.

neon871

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2011
[citation][nom]Halcyon[/nom]IBLAH. ...just because you're young doesn't mean you have to act immature/rude in a forum ('stupid-ass...'). More Blah.[/citation]

I said "stupid ass comment" not that you was one. Just because you had a issue doesn't mean world wide and Visa versa for me, but I googled before I replied. I am sorry you had an issue with your Prime(s) and feel for you. I didn't mean to sound rude to you. You should Google before a statement like that, where is your link to a story?

And I don't mean anything rude by BLAH -BLAH just didn't want to re-post the whole thing.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
nexus at least with phones doens't mean top end, it means updates, you get the latest updates to the os as soon as they are released, not waiting on HTC motorolla samsung or whatever the bran is to come out with a update to push and hten the wireless service to allow the update. heck in some cases i think that is how they get people to ditch thier old phones, never rlease a update even though the device can handle it so that a person will buy a new device resulting in a higher profit

Status
Not open for further replies.