Google Pays Apple $100,000,000/Year for Search

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abrahm

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2007
I think it's the latter. Apple knows that Android devices are going to take over the market and render the iPhone a niche just like the Mac. They are trying their best to delay the inevitable.

Shez

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2004
Wah?! 100 million a year?

I'm curious, if Google hadn't been paying them, which search engine would have Apple used? Yahoo (teh suck)?

oconnellda

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010
I agree with Abrahm. Once the Nexus One hits Verizon, things will definitely heat up. I don't understand Google's love with T-Mobile. If the iPhone had been on T-mobile, it would probably have not done nearly as well.

Open-source software is really becoming a powerful option for most computer users. The only place it struggles is business. While openoffice is nice, a lot of software that businesses use needs to become compatible.

insaneclowngod

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
Shez

Wah?! 100 million a year?

I'm curious, if Google hadn't been paying them, which search engine would have Apple used? Yahoo (teh suck)?

Which is powered by others most of the time anyway

"In July 2009, Yahoo! signed a deal with Microsoft, the result of which was that Yahoo! Search would be powered by Bing."

magicandy

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2008
[citation][nom]Shez[/nom]Wah?! 100 million a year?I'm curious, if Google hadn't been paying them, which search engine would have Apple used? Yahoo (teh suck)?[/citation]

Whichever search engine company gives them the most money. Google is paying them a ridiculous sum because they know someone else would if they didn't. Obviously if Apple was choosing the default browser based on usability and actual worth, Google would be the choice no contest. But since the iPhone is so popular Apple sees it more of an area to profit. It just so happens that Google knows how to preempt things and throw money around just like the rest of them.

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
Shouldn't ALL search engines be available to keep the playing field fair.

It seems to me Apple could be forced to add Bing for free if Microsoft pursued this through the courts. Just as Windows can not longer only have Bing as a search engine option.

hakesterman

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2008
Abrahm - I think it's the latter. Apple knows that Android devices are going to take over the market and render the iPhone a niche just like the Mac. They are trying their best to delay the inevitable.

Abrahm your either on crack or meth if you think the Iphone or Imac is going away anytime soon. Unlike
microsoft their buisness is actually still growing. I always get a kick out of these losers who try to convince the world AMD and Apple are just going to fall off the face of the earth tommorow. They have
been saying it for a decade and it just never happens, instead they just keep growing.

cichy69

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2006
[citation][nom]Abrahm[/nom]I think it's the latter. Apple knows that Android devices are going to take over the market and render the iPhone a niche just like the Mac. They are trying their best to delay the inevitable.[/citation]

exact thing I was thinking... and most probable in my opinion

marsax73

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2006
$100 Million a year??? what a waste! Bing sucks and people will still go to Google anyways. Put that money into more free services for users!

cscott_it

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2009
[citation][nom]hakesterman[/nom]Abrahm - I think it's the latter. Apple knows that Android devices are going to take over the market and render the iPhone a niche just like the Mac. They are trying their best to delay the inevitable.Abrahm your either on crack or meth if you think the Iphone or Imac is going away anytime soon. Unlikemicrosoft their buisness is actually still growing. I always get a kick out of these losers who try to convince the world AMD and Apple are just going to fall off the face of the earth tommorow. They havebeen saying it for a decade and it just never happens, instead they just keep growing.[/citation]

I wouldn't imply Microsoft's business is failing. That's just stupid. If you ONLY look at the Home OS side of the market, well, they pretty much own it.

That doesn't include their line-up of business products (Windows Server, Exchange, Office, Dynamics [an alternative to SAP for small business], etc.).

As coincidence would have it, the iPhone is still behind the Blackberry, and it's very unlikely any other phone will replace it as the choice of businesses.
(BES does more than just push e-mails)

I'm not saying Apple still isn't going to be growing, love him or hate him, Steve Jobs is has managed the Apple image brilliantly, however I'm not sure that their market will be able to keep expanding as quickly as it has been over the past 'N' years without lowering prices or improving on the overall experience.

/endrant

As an aside, Google is more of a direct threat to Apple than Microsoft is at this point. So it makes sense if they get off of the caffeine.

joebob2000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
[citation][nom]Abrahm[/nom]I think it's the latter. Apple knows that Android devices are going to take over the market and render the iPhone a niche just like the Mac. They are trying their best to delay the inevitable.[/citation]

LOL they sure have a funny way of saying it... "Let's see, how can we stay relevant... OH I GOT IT! We will switch all our users from Google (whom people pretty universally love) over to Bing!"

This has to be about a better offer from Microsoft, or Google trying to fetch a better price for their lock-in considering Apple's safari isn't in front of as big of a % of eyes as it once was. It would be pretty dumb for Apple to switch search engines just because Google is available on other smartphones, when Google is the one paying *Apple* for the privilege. If it were the other way around, and Apple were paying Google (for some reason) to use them, then it could be a conflict of interest to continue the relationship. As it is, Apple should want to hold on to that gravy train as long as they can.

G

Yes... switch away from Google because they are now starting to encroach on Apple's core businesses, namely smartphones (Android) and OSes (Chrome)... to Microsoft who has already been competing with them in said core businesses for decades...

Doesn't make sense to me.

yahee71

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2010
OOOOOOOOOOO0h! it's ok for you to pay someone to be the default search engine on their system but if you have your own internet browser as the default browser in which you created in your own operating system you get sued huh?

buddhav1

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2009
[citation][nom]hakesterman[/nom]Abrahm - I think it's the latter. Apple knows that Android devices are going to take over the market and render the iPhone a niche just like the Mac. They are trying their best to delay the inevitable.Abrahm your either on crack or meth if you think the Iphone or Imac is going away anytime soon. Unlikemicrosoft their buisness is actually still growing. I always get a kick out of these losers who try to convince the world AMD and Apple are just going to fall off the face of the earth tommorow. They havebeen saying it for a decade and it just never happens, instead they just keep growing.[/citation]

are personal attacks really necessary to prove your point? i miss when people used to argue about the actual topic, instead of insulting each other.

on topic, i can definitely see the Droid soaking up a big piece of the smartphone market, but it's going to be hard to unseat the iPhone. the same situation has happened dozens of times, and i see this instance of the Droid as the first step towards an iPhone replacement. remember, the original iPhone didn't really take off until the second generation, either.

the fact that this much buzz is being created over a new competitor is very interesting to me, because it means A)prices for both phones will be competitive, B)software and apps will be pushed out sooner rather than later, and C)it opens the door for other companies to develop their own "iPhone or Droid" phones. new technology is always a positive for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.