Review Google Pixel 8 Pro hands-on: A truly pro camera, weird temperature sensor

Oct 4, 2023
Investing more into Google AI, the Pixel 8 Pro truly shows how it's embracing it more in our hands-on time with new features like Magic Audio Eraser, a more human-like Google Assistant for screening calls, and Best Take. There's also manual controls for video and a new temperature sensor.

Google Pixel 8 Pro hands-on: A truly pro camera, weird temperature sensor : Read more
In the review it was stated "What I find strange is that you have to select what type of object you’re trying to measure — like wood, glass, or metal material — but it’s meant to get a more accurate reading." This is something to do with a value called emissivity, which in simple terms is the amount of infra red radiation different materials/surfaces radiate at a specific temperature. Examples of this are a Matt black surface will radiate more IR than a shiny mirrored metal surface.

vinay2070

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2011
In the review it was stated "What I find strange is that you have to select what type of object you’re trying to measure — like wood, glass, or metal material — but it’s meant to get a more accurate reading." This is something to do with a value called emissivity, which in simple terms is the amount of infra red radiation different materials/surfaces radiate at a specific temperature. Examples of this are a Matt black surface will radiate more IR than a shiny mirrored metal surface.
Shouldnt thier AI cameras be able to detect the material type? Or atleast try to? Especially after touting all the AI Hype and putting in a crap processor in the name of AI?

Gilmour

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2016
I have a Pixel 7 Pro and the first Pixel Watch. I didn't see anything meaningful to me on the 8 Pro, but as a long time Fitbit user I was very interested when I saw what the Pixel Watch 2 was offering, though not enough to pay $350 (or even $200 with trade in). When I saw that it came free with the 8 Pro, and I saw what I could get in trade at Best Buy for my 7 Pro, I decided that it was worth the net total of $518.93 to get both, and still have a Pixel Watch to sell.

Oct 19, 2023
I wonder about battery life IPhone 15 pro 10:53, s23 adaptive 10:27 Pixel 8pro 10:03 but in review is: battery was depleted couple hours before bed time? There is half an hour up to 50 minutes difference in tests. There wasn’t same issue with S23 and 15 pro?