Solved! Google Play Services failure after factory reset?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 20, 2019
Hi,
My son forgot his password for his nextbook nx16a8116k pk.
I factory reset it, twice. Upon starting and setting up the wifi, it says ‘google play services has stopped’. I attempted to clear the cache and restart the tablet, but that didn’t help. I tried to update the firmware, but it says the firmware is up to date (though it certainly is not). Currently it’s showing the following:
Android version 6.0.1

How do I manually update the software so it will function, if I can’t even get google to work, because it keeps popping up with the warning box about google play services?

I attempted to find this information online, but it’s nowhere to be found.
It’s quite ridiculous.

Thanks,
Jenny

Solution
A typical reset, which tries to keep your personal data, won't resolve any issues regarding installed apps, files, etc. A "Hard Reset" would restore the tablet to its original status (before use) which wipes all data including all personal data.

If you did the reset that keeps your personal data, that is likely your culprit.

Here are some things to try...

1. Since you didn't mention what cache it was that you cleared...

a. Go into "Settings" and then "Apps".
b. Locate the “Google Play Services” app.
c. Tap to open the “Google Play Services” app and then tap "Force Stop".
d. Then tap "Clear Cache".
e. Now restart the tablet (power it off and back on).

2. Should the prior option not resolve the problem, repeat the steps in #1 above...
A typical reset, which tries to keep your personal data, won't resolve any issues regarding installed apps, files, etc. A "Hard Reset" would restore the tablet to its original status (before use) which wipes all data including all personal data.

If you did the reset that keeps your personal data, that is likely your culprit.

2. Should the prior option not resolve the problem, repeat the steps in #1 above and then, before rebooting (powering off and back on) the tablet, tap the "Uninstall Updates" in teh same area. Then, once the tablet is restarted, update the app.

Solution
Dec 20, 2019

2. Should the prior option not resolve the problem, repeat the steps in #1 above and then, before rebooting (powering off and back on) the tablet, tap the "Uninstall Updates" in teh same area. Then, once the tablet is restarted, update the app.

I cleared the cache of the google play and google play services app. Yes, I did a full factory reset, that is stated in the original post.
There is no 'force stop' option for google play services, I mean there is, but the button is greyed out. As I said, I cleared the cache in step d that you laid out. I've also restarted it. I can not find an uninstall updates section for either the apps or under 'about this device'.

If you did a full reset, rather than the option that keeps things, then the updates wouldn't be there. This is why I mention both kinds, as often people say it is a reset but they choose the option to save what they have on the device, which then doesn't really reset it.

After the reset of the device did you make sure to enter the original info (email and password) that was used to originally register the tablet? If you tried to do it with something else or a different address, that can cause this as well.

On top of that, it must have a working WiFi connection to do any updating.

Dec 20, 2019
If you did a full reset, rather than the option that keeps things, then the updates wouldn't be there. This is why I mention both kinds, as often people say it is a reset but they choose the option to save what they have on the device, which then doesn't really reset it.

After the reset of the device did you make sure to enter the original info (email and password) that was used to originally register the tablet? If you tried to do it with something else or a different address, that can cause this as well.

On top of that, it must have a working WiFi connection to do any updating.

Wifi is working and it didn't ask me to register it / put in an email.
Nothing works going in or out due to the lack of update.
Can't even use google to search.

If you reset it, completely, it would ask for an email to log into. That is a requirement for Android devices and it will ask for the original one that the device was set up with.

I suggest you reset it again then and enter the correct info. A full "Hard Reset" instructions are below. Should this not help, then you are going to have to contact the manufacturer.

NOTE: Doing this will clear 'all' the data on your tablet, so it is suggested you not choose this option unless you have to, or aren't worried about losing anything on the device.

Be sure you back up any data you want to keep, to a computer or cloud account, before doing the reset.

To "Hard Reset" the tablet...

1. Make sure that the tablet is actually powered off.

2. Remove your SD card, if there is one in the device.

3. Press the "Power" and the "Volume Up" buttons, together, until you see the start-up logo on the screen.

4. Once you can see the logo, release the buttons and allow the device to enter the "System Recovery Mode".

5. Next use "Volume Down" button to get to the "wipe data/factory reset" option.

6. When in recovery mode the "Volume Up" and "Volume Down" buttons are how to can navigate and highlight what option you need.

7. Once you have selected the "wipe data/factory reset", press the "Power" button to select that option.

8. On the following screen, repeatedly press the "Volume Down" button until the "Yes - delete all user data" option is what is selected.

9. Then press the "Power" button to hard reset the tablet.

10. If you took your SD card out in step 2, when the device is up and running again, reinsert the SD card.

Status
Not open for further replies.