Google Starts Detail Engineering in Kansas

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

delinius

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2010
[citation][nom]soo-nah-mee[/nom]Actually you don't have to live in Kansas, Missouri gets it too.[/citation]
Oh awesome, didn't realize that; I live in KCMO and was considering moving west a little to KS XD

G

I was pretty excited about the idea of more fiber optics being laid in the US. However, recently I caught wind of something that sounds like it will disable the need for ideas such as laying fiber to the home. I used to dream of building a 300,000 dollar home in a forest and spending a million to get fiber to my home. Now I can dream of building a 1.3 million dollar home and having DIDO for my internet connection.
Recently the company rearden (steve perlman) wrote up a piece on some of DIDO's inner workings.
http://www.rearden.com/DIDO/DIDO_White_Paper_110727.pdf You can read the PDF there.

A lot of people are oddly nay sayers against this, disbelief is the typical response. I have my skepticism in all ideas, but I can't imagine the guy saying all these things he has said and expect to keep his reputation if they were complete fabrications or even a mild stretch of that.

30-250 mile range ultra fast WIFI. That's whats up. I would gladly pay 500-1000 dollars to set something like that up in a mesh network setting.

Xstang

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2008
As someone who actually lives in the KC area, this is great.

While the southern part of the metro area (Johnson County) has a LOT of choices (comcast, time warner cable, Surewest, even AT&T fiber in some spots), up north is pretty much a wasteland. It's mostly Cox communications wanting to charge $80 for 7meg DSL, or even worse fairpoint, who will gladly charge you $60 for 3meg DSL-that is, it ever gets that fast.

I just hope this puts a lot of telcos that have been sitting for years on outdated hardware at high prices on notice.

sticks435

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2008
Actually, I'm pretty sure this is referring to KC, KS. Since the utilities are owned by the city itself, Google engineers need to get the specs and such themselves, vs in KC, MO where KCPL owns the utilities and will probably be doing most of this for Google, or will just provide them with the info directly, since Google will be using KCPL's existing infrastructure to run the lines etc.

liquidchild

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2010
Attn. I will be renting out my finished basement PER NIGHT when I get this installed. The room includes free hot breakfast and best of all i live on the Missouri side so you don't have to worry about getting mugged by a crack head Or getting rear ended by a clueless yuppy hag with fake diamonds and a maxed out credit score...ITS THE BEST OF BOTH WORLDS!!!! ONLY 129.99 A NIGHT!!!!!!

BTW Sticks435 i went to the site its both sides of the State line.

Soma42

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
So what's the point of super fast speeds if there is still a bandwidth cap? Just means you hit it faster... Or is that no longer the case?

G

At 1Gb download, most users hard disk drives will be a bottleneck. 1Gb= 128MB which is faster than a standard 7200 rpm HDD can write!

Oh to see such days :)

oxxfatelostxxo

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2007
for those of you that its not quite clicking in your head for, its not just ooh, hey ill get google fiber and have a 1gbit connection...
They have tierd plans and they jump up very fast the more you want. Also not sure about a data cap.
That and im plenty happy with my 30mbit down 5mbit up @50$ a month connection =)
more than fast enough.

And moricon, move into the 21st century, there is raid, and ssds out, both vastly outperform a single drive

yorkie71

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2011
Well done Google for taking the lead on this. Fibre is the only way forward in providing a future proof solution for our connectivity needs. We are facing the same problem in the UK, and I shall be watching this closely as there is a similar project being undertaken by the community in my area to roll out 1Gbs fibre connection to all residents. Nowhere near the size and resource of Google but exactly the same aim. Find out more here at the B4RN website.

Best of luck KC, I shall be taking notes!

Status
Not open for further replies.